leveraged = changed?

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 05:37 am

Context:

The findings suggest a new way of generating more useful anti-HIV antibodies. The intermediate stage of the protein normally lasts only about 15 minutes, too quickly to mount a successful immune response. For earlier work, the team leveraged the power of the first fusion-inhibiting antiviral drug, T20 (enfuviritide), approved for late-stage disease when other treatment options are failing. The drug traps the protein in the shape that spurs useful antibodies, the researchers reported in an earlier paper. In the latest study, the team further refined the protein for this study in a variation that does not require the drug. Additional biochemical experiments confirmed that two rare neutralizing antibodies from patients tackled the fleeting intermediate state of the experimental protein.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 400 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 06:13 am
No, it means exploited. The term originally comes from finance, where it refers to a means of increasing income from investments, usually by borrowing money against the expected future gains of a security or financial instrument. A company which has borrowed heavily to invest, and therefore carries a lot of debt is said to be "highly leveraged."

So, in a general sense, to leverage means to take advantage of something in order to improve one's performance. In this case, they speak of exploiting the T-20 drug to extend the life of the desired protein. Therefore, they are saying that they exploited T-20, that they "leveraged" it, in order to improve the performance of their therapy.
oristarA

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Got it.
Thank you.
0 Replies