Seriously now, what CAN'T go down the disposal?

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:00 pm
Mr. B insists that the only thing that can go down a garbage disposal is .... I don't know.... unicorn hair or angel tears or some equally dainty things.

I think just about anything can go down the garbage disposal. Except meat. No meat.

I compost most things but sometimes I'm lazy.

Is there anything (other than meat) that can't go down a disposal?

Thanks!

Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:05 pm
@boomerang,
Do: Boneless meat, pitless fruit, bits of food you scraped off dishes before/while washing

Don't: Noodles, rice, banana skins, potato skins, avocado skins, fruit pits, bones

There seems to be some controversy over whether or not eggshells can be put in the disposal, some people say you can, others say you can't. I think it's an "at your own risk" thing, because I do it and haven't had a problem, but I don't do it on a regular basis. I wouldn't want it to malfunction and wind up footing the bill for a busted disposal. since people have their own opions, fyi, eggs shells do sharpen the blades of the disposal.

That's from Answers.com... basically, anything fibrous like asparagus, celery, banana skins that can wrap around the blades is a no-no. All bones are a no-no, as well. Obviously anything that's hard (pits)... but if in doubt, ask your plumber!

PS I'm not sure why potato skins can't go in there and if you chop stuff up, it's better for your disposal.

Edit: I always put my coffee grinds down the sink.

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:08 pm
There are two considerations. One is the ability of the machine itself to function properly. The other consideration is where the ground food flushes into. Should I assume you're speaking of the former?
boomerang

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:11 pm
@Mame,
Very informative! Thank you! That bit about fiborous things makes a lot of sense. I'm really curious as to how something as dainty as eggshells could sharpen the blades.

Mr. B says potato skins swell up or something and clog the pipes.

Eggshells and coffee grounds are ALWAYS thrown in the garden around here.
engineer

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:11 pm
@boomerang,
No bones, popcorn kernels or banana peels. Just about everything else is fair game. I think unicorn hair might clog the thing up. I do occasionally have to manually unbind it.
engineer

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@boomerang,
I don't think there will be enough skin in one piece to clog anything. I've put potato skins down the disposal for years without any issues.
0 Replies

Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@boomerang,
Noodles swell up, as does rice - don't know about potato skins. I compost, too, so they go there, but the grounds actually help to clean the garbage disposal. I put eggshells down there, too, when not composting. I think it helps it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:13 pm
@littlek,
I suppose I'm speaking of both......
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:20 pm
@boomerang,
Here in Cambridge, all our gray water gets dumped into our waterways (not sure if it's the Charles River or the Boston Harbor. There has been a push to stop people from using their garbage disposals because it was adding even more pollution to our systems. Of course, maybe Portland does things differently!
tsarstepan

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:25 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Is there anything (other than meat) that can't go down a disposal?

Dynamite, nitrogylericin, diamonds, titanium bastard swords, cell phones (unless they're bricked iPhones then grind away), a +4 magic bracelet with resistance against blade weapons, golem fingers (remember a golem is usually made of clay or stone so your thread prohibition regarding meat doesn't apply), Jim Abbott's right hand....*

* Trick inclusion! The former southpaw from the California Angels was born without a right hand so it would be impossible to have his right hand had get caught in a garbage disposal.
boomerang

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:31 pm
@littlek,
Doesn't sending food scraps to the dump create a different set of problems though?

Here they're very slowly rolling out a city-wide composting program with hopes to reduce garbage pick up to once a month. Research shows (they say) that with proper recycling and composting that trash is almost eliminated.

Once in a while the newpaper here sends out a recycling expert to go through someone's trash with them. It really is amazing how little actual trash needs to go to the dump.
boomerang

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
<snort!>
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@engineer,
So what do you do with your unicorn hair?
Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:34 pm
@boomerang,
I think he eats it.
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:35 pm
@boomerang,
I think that if the dump site is situated well, food shouldn't be as much of a problem as un-decompostable stuff.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
So what do you do with your unicorn hair?

Knit pixie sweaters and fairy stockings!
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:23 am
I know from some hard experience that flower stalks are very, very bad... and grease. It clog drains, other than that, I think Mame's list is a good one to follow.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 02:39 am
A problem that I expect we will soon be rid of, as disposals are made illegal. Our grand kids will listen to our stories of putting food down the drain in amazement.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 07:25 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Don't: Noodles, rice, banana skins, potato skins, avocado skins, fruit pits, bones... anything fibrous like asparagus, celery...
avacado skins get ground up nicely in our disposal.
cooked noodles and rice do too.
asparagus and celery need to be cut into small pieces first...
jespah

Sun 21 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
Larger body parts don't do so well in the disposal.

Oops, I've said too much.
0 Replies