Regarding [quote] quotes within quotes [/quote]

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:46 pm
So, before you decide to respond to something.

Quote:
Quote:
something someone else wrote

that you want to respond to

Quote:
and then they respond

and you respond again

Quote:
to which they respond

i just wanted to say something

You don't have to repost the entire conversation every time you add one sentence. If you click the @<name of poster you are replying to> that is displayed in the upper left hand corner of your post, you will be redirected to the post which the one you are reading is a reply to.

This is just a friendly tip, one that may save some people a whole lot of copy/pasting.

Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,400 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:56 pm
@Cyracuz,
When I click on your name, I get taken to your profile page.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:07 pm
@Mame,
I've been noticing that.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:08 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've been noticing that.

Mind if I quote you?
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:09 pm
@Mame,
Yes, but when I clicked on the @cyracuz in the top left corner of your reply to my post, I was redirected to my post.

So if you click on the @Mame in the top left corner of this post you should be redirected to your post since I clicked "reply" to that specific post.
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:10 pm
@Mame,
He refers to the text under your user name, which in this post reads: Re: Cyracuz (Post 4420306). If you click on his user name there, it takes to the post to which you replied.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah, I saw that, but you can't reply from there and that's more clicking back and forth.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:13 pm
@Mame,
Never mind, I see what he's talking about. Now, what happens if the post referred to is 27 pages back? Do you have to click to End or something to get back to the current page?
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:14 pm
@Mame,
No, you can't reply from there, but you can use that as a means to check previous statements in a conversation rather than repost the whole conversation every time you make a new statement.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:14 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Yes, but when I clicked on the @cyracuz in the top left corner of your reply to my post, I was redirected to my post.

So if you click on the @Mame in the top left corner of this post you should be redirected to your post since I clicked "reply" to that specific post.

You mean highlight text, then right click "copy" and press "quote" button?
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:16 pm
@Mame,
If you click the @<name> button you get redirected. If you then click the <- button on your internet browser, or the backspace button on your keyboard, you are taken to back to the post you were redirected from.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:17 pm
@talk72000,
Quotes are useful, and I use them myself. But you don't have to repeat everything every time you say something new.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
@Mame,
That's a victor, vector.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:30 pm
@Cyracuz,
Were just pulling your leg, Cyracuz. Those nested quotes can be annoying and confusing, which is exactly why they set up the "Reply" box. Still, if you only want to pick on a certain of a long and rambling screed, the quote function can be pretty helpful, and if anyone wants the entire context, or to verify the quote, the can click the 'quote' reference and see the entire post.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:40 pm
@roger,
Ye, they can be confusing. It's like playing a bugged midi sequence where the notes do not release when they are intended, so instead of a melody you get all the notes at the same time. Smile
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@Cyracuz,
The good thing about them, though, is that you can select the bits you want to refer to, deleting the rest. If you didn't have that option, you'd have to explain which part of the lengthy bit you're referring to. So I like the quote option for that.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:13 pm
@Mame,
Yes, that's true. But what you are referring to is a sensible use of the quote function, wouldn't you say? Not the "quote everything every time" approach.

Many people also use that trick of quoting specific phrases or even parts of sentences to twist the meaning of others' words, by quoting fragments, making it look like they are saying something entirely different from what they actually are saying.

Never seen you do it, just to be clear that I'm not trying to get at you. But it is being done Smile
roger

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:26 pm
@Mame,
Hey, that's what I said.
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:46 pm
@roger,
You're so smart, Roger!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:47 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, I agree on both counts. I don't know why people would want to quote the whole thing, especially if it's lengthy and they're not referring to the entire post.

Thanks for the useful info on that, by the way. I did not know that!