Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:27 am
This has totally got to be backed by the American Government..
Quote:
Experts dissecting the computer worm suspected of being aimed at Iran’s nuclear program have determined that it was precisely calibrated in a way that could send nuclear centrifuges wildly out of control.

Their conclusion, while not definitive, begins to clear some of the fog around the Stuxnet worm, a malicious program detected earlier this year on computers, primarily in Iran but also India, Indonesia and other countries.

The paternity of the worm is still in dispute, but in recent weeks officials from Israel have broken into wide smiles when asked whether Israel was behind the attack, or knew who was. American officials have suggested it originated abroad.

The new forensic work narrows the range of targets and deciphers the worm’s plan of attack. Computer analysts say Stuxnet does its damage by making quick changes in the rotational speed of motors, shifting them rapidly up and down.

Changing the speed “sabotages the normal operation of the industrial control process,” Eric Chien, a researcher at the computer security company Symantec, wrote in a blog post.

Those fluctuations, nuclear analysts said in response to the report, are a recipe for disaster among the thousands of centrifuges spinning in Iran to enrich uranium, which can fuel reactors or bombs. Rapid changes can cause them to blow apart. Reports issued by international inspectors reveal that Iran has experienced many problems keeping its centrifuges running, with hundreds removed from active service since summer 2009.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/world/middleeast/19stuxnet.html?hp

roger

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Haven't seen him in ages.
JPB

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:13 am
@hawkeye10,
What, you don't think Isreal could be the source?
Foofie

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:25 am
The centrifuges are hooked up to the internet? Sort of like leaving the chicken coop door open for the fox.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
What, you don't think Isreal could be the source?
Almost certainly it was Israel, but they are a proxy for the USA. No way Israel does this without USA approval and assistance, the only think we don't know is where the original idea came from.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Disagree. I won't speculate on the source, but I don't see Israel waiting on US approval, nor requiring US assistance.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:59 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Disagree. I won't speculate on the source, but I don't see Israel waiting on US approval, nor requiring US assistance.
Israel did not turn suddenly stupid, they dont survive without US assistance, their intell networks are very integrated with ours.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Israel has routinely shown a willingness to go it alone as ask for forgiveness later, if even that. Moreover, its lobby in the US is strong enough to ensure US assistance even if they went nuclear on Iran. I don't see anyone in the US as having the motivation to launch a computer virus on another country. Just allowing the virus to be reverse engineered would be a security risk.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:05 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Just allowing the virus to be reverse engineered would be a security risk.

Dadgum good point.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:07 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Haven 't seen him in longer; he 's on Ignore, for his repudiation of logic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:11 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Israel has routinely shown a willingness to go it alone as ask for forgiveness later, if even that.
Moreover, its lobby in the US is strong enough to ensure US assistance even if they went nuclear on Iran.
Thay 'd be doing us a big favor,
as thay did by boming Saddam's nuclear development facilities in 1981.
I can see a decent argument that by that single act alone,
thay justified all of the money that we gave them.
I can 't blame the Jews for desiring to remain alive.
I favor self-defense.

David
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you favor self defense for Iran? By your logic, Iran, who has never attacked a neighboring country, should develop nuclear weapons and use them immediately on Israel in pre-emptive self defense. Israel has actively advocated military action against Iran, so it would completely be in the same vein as Israel attacking Iraq.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:29 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Do you favor self defense for Iran?
No; I narrow the focus of self-defense needs to my OWN; at least, to begin with.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Do u think he 's been LYNCHED ?

( yet ? )
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It must have been a joke...JTT rarely misses a day posting, and is online as I write..
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
If he's lost, then why in Hell would you want to find him?!

And evidence shows that it's highly likely that a product of the Israeli intelligence community as indicated in the media for the past few months.

You're late in the game....
http://able2know.org/topic/161778-1
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You're late in the game
Ya, so much of a2k I never see these days, or remember seeing...I suppose I should get in the habit of doing a2k research before starting a thread.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
It must have been a joke...JTT rarely misses a day posting, and is online as I write..
HHHhhhhmmmmmmmm Whatayathink we can DO about that ?????
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:55 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

The centrifuges are hooked up to the internet? Sort of like leaving the chicken coop door open for the fox.

You're understanding of the situation is possibly wrong.

It is most likely that the Iranian nuclear facility is on a closed network. What has been speculated that the worm was downloaded onto the system via a portable flash drive plugged directly into one of the secured computer terminals in the system. Most likely a planted spy who works at the reactor.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 05:15 pm
It's only a matter of time before the next generation of computer viri based on Stuxnet make their appearance on the internet once Stuxnet gets into the hands of professional hackers.

When was the last serious pandemic to hit the internet?
0 Replies