Springs, CV Boot

kjane

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:05 am
I had my front springs replaced last year. now my cv boot needs replacing. could the two things be related?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,249 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:42 am
could be related I guess, but its more likely that the cv boots just wore out.

They do that you know.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:26 am
@kjane,
If your car is old enough to have needed a spring replacement, it's old enough to need CV joint and/or boot replacement.

If the mechanic was careless, he could have accidentaly cut a boot (causing the lube to dry out), but the most likely scenario is that CV joint just wore out.
kjane

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:14 am
@Ragman,
The spring replacement was a manufacturers recall. The car is 5 years old. Do you think at this age the boot just wore out. I'm curious because I would rather have the car manufacturer pay for it than me. Thanks for your opinion.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:15 am
@kjane,
they are not related.

the cv boot is considered a wear item...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:08 pm
No implication is intended on my part that these repairs are related. I was simply saying that a vehicle that might need springs replaced, MIGHT also be a vehicle that could also need CV joints and/or boots replaced. However, after only 5 yrs, I'm a bit surprised to see a spring replacement (much less CV boots) so early. Are you saying that you suspect some CV boot damage?

{edit: oops...just noticed you said there was a mfr recall.}

I think there's slight possibility the mechanic could have accidentally cut/damaged a boot or there's been some unsual wear and tear. Perhaps a mechanic might pre-emptively replace the CV boot. It isn't the worst idea - especially if they do it on THEIR dime due to a spring recall...but don't expect that freebie as CV boot is a wear item, like shocks and brake pads etc.

Sorry for your bad luck with your car. Cars suck sometimes.

Incidentally, follow Rockhead and Dadpad as they're some of the A2K resident mechanical experts.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:07 pm
I'd go with rockheads advice I'm just a domestic mechanic and old school to boot.
Lots of stuff on newere cars has got me beat.
0 Replies