Washing A Shower Curtain

thailen

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:47 am
I have a dirty plastic inside shower curtain and want to know if I can put it in my washing machine and wash it without getting it torn up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 18
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:53 am
Probably.

I would wash it down, top to bottom while still up, with soap and bleach solution. Rinse.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:57 am
Sure, I wash my shower curtain in the washing machine. I don't even take them off the rings, just slide it all off the rod, and put it in the wash with a bleach solution.

Just run it on delicate cycyle.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:58 am
Cold/warm water i would suggest rather than hot water and a gentle cycle. Take any rings or hooks off first. You might find it tears anyway, this is more to do with the age of the material and the aggressivness of your particular washing machine

Adding a dash of chlorine bleach in the final rinse will help keep mould at bay. i/2 cup of vinegar may do if you are that way inclined
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 08:02 am
Is this the LINER? or an actual thicker, plastic shower curtain?
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 08:04 am
@dadpad,
BTW, I use vinegar instead of fabric softener in all my wash loads.

Cuts any soap residue, deordorizes, and gets rid of static cling.

Cheap and green.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 08:07 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Is this the LINER? or an actual thicker, plastic shower curtain?

Hmmm...maybe we need to define our shower components.

I call the shower curtain, the platic part, the liner. It's the part that drapes inside the tube or shower.

I call the shower curtain, the fabric part, the curtain. That's the part that hangs outside of the tub.

I don't like just a plastic curtain, I go for 2 pieces.

My plastic part is a heavy gage vinyl, and has been treated to resist mold.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:14 pm
If you will do two things you will never have to wash a shower curtain liner.
1) Never leave the shower curtain scrunched up to one side. Pull the thing all the way open and leave it that way.
2) Get a 16 oz spray bottle and put 2 Tablespoons of bleach in it, then fill it to the top with water. Once or twice a week, just after the last person to take a shower has taken it, spritz the whole shower curtain liner with enough spray to make it wet but not dripping it.
Step out, leave it wide open.

No mold will form on the plastic.
Joe(you can spritz the tub caulking while you're at it and save you a lot of scrubbing.)Nation
Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:18 pm
@thailen,
I've done it. They are pretty sturdy - but don't put it in the dryer. After washing just hang in the shower again to dry.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 01:13 pm
@Joe Nation,
hey joe, you know what else I'll do?

I fill one of those red catsup or yellow mustard condiment bottles with the water and bleach, and squirt it into any crevices the shower/tub might have.

linkat, you made me realize...I won't put bleach in the washer water if I'm going to leave the cloth part of the shower curtain attached to the vinyl. If I do that I pour a whole bunch of vinegar into the water.

That disinfects too.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:04 pm
@thailen,
If your worried about the curtain ripping or shredding then soak the curtain in the bath tub or large sink overnight in diluted bleach cocktail. Then rinse it off several times before hanging it back up to dry.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
After each shower, I shake down my shower curtain to drain off the excess water. That alone keeps it from getting moldy or dirty.

I also squeegee the walls and floor.

During the past couple of days, I've scrapped off the old grout, and replaced with with one that says it'll prevent molds.

Also, for the drain, I put a flat plastic drain cover and screwed it down to keep hair out.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:58 am
You can buy those things for 4 bucks at Target or any othe store, so why bother
washing...
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:06 am
I not only wash my shower curtains regularly, but take my assorted baubles in with me so that they can get a good lathering.

Nothing worse than mouldy baubles at this time of year.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:08 pm
@Old Goat,
I had to look up "baubles" - originally I thought it's more of attached body parts ...
Izzie

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
The 'Ole Goat's so Brit with his baubles! Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:51 pm
@Izzie,
He truly is, Izzie, and a very fine one too Wink
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
I use a single shower curtain because I found some that I like so much. White with greyish shadow leaves. To clean it I keep a spray bottle of straight vinegar and some dish soap added. Spray where the water hits, then wipe it down. Hold it any ole way you can to rinse with shower, or a container, with hot water.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:59 am
I have just taken a spray of straight vinegar into the shower with me and duly sprayed where the water hit, as instructed.
It stung like hell and caused some minor swelling, but the affected parts have now buffed up a treat.
0 Replies