Problem parent!!

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
I have a parent in my class who does not believe in discipling his son. The child is in charge of the house hold. In myclass, he has tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He also has meltdowns when he's put in TO. Recently he's been playing very roughly in the yard and hurting other children. When I told the father his response was "This happens when your in charge of him, you deal with it!!" He also said "There is nothing he can do, since by the time he picks up his son, hours have passed and it's no longer relevant to discipline his son." Now he wants to come into class and observe how his son interacts with others. How do I tell him no without making it seem like I have something to hide?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,709 • Replies: 10
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:09 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
Try expelling the kid for bullying.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:17 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
His son will not behave the same way with dad present. What if a third party came to observe his son?
sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:21 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
Diana Ramirez wrote:

Now he wants to come into class and observe how his son interacts with others. How do I tell him no without making it seem like I have something to hide?

That seems like a prime opportunity to me, actually. (Annoying short-term, with possible long-term benefits.) You can agree with him about how discipline is most effective when happens right after the transgression, and say that you expect him to go ahead and deal with the behavior since he is there observing.

You've already established that you think the child is disruptive and that the parent should be doing something about it.

The parent seems to agree that the child is acting inappropriately, but is just protesting that he can't do anything about it if he's not there.

If he's there, he can.

He may also just not really get how disruptive his son is being, in which case his presence would be a win either way -- if the child is disruptive, the parent can see that for himself; while if the child is not disruptive, the child is not disruptive! And then you can say something like, "I was so impressed with how much better [child's name] was behaving today when you were here, clearly he thinks a lot of you and wants to please you. I think it would make a big difference if you explain to him why it is important not to [hit other kids or whatever he was doing to hurt them, etc.]"

Good luck!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 09:01 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

His son will not behave the same way with dad present. What if a third party came to observe his son?

How about if the dad comes and observes from an unseen location?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 09:06 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
Quote:
Now he wants to come into class and observe how his son interacts with others. How do I tell him no without making it seem like I have something to hide?

If there is a way that the parent can observe the child without the child knowing, that would be the ideal situation and would eliminate the possibility of selective behavior when the child is aware that a parent is present.

An alternative would be a video camera temporarily placed in the room to film the child's behavior.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 09:07 pm
@chai2,
Eeek! A feminist is reading my mind and typing out the same thoughts I had!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
Diana Ramirez wrote:
How do I tell him no without making it seem like I have something to hide?

why say no?

you've got the parent's interest and attention. take advantage of that.

have you reviewed all of this with the appropriate senior staff at your school?
NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 10:38 pm
@Diana Ramirez,
First of all, you should'nt ever worry about how something you say will "seem" to others. You say what you mean, and you mean what you say. How the person you're talking to percieves it is up to them. Secondly, just do your "best" with the child, treat it how you'd like to be treated. How it reacts is beyond your control. Bottom line, don't worry about things you can't control.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:46 am
@ehBeth,
that's my question as well - have you elevated this problem to the principal/administrator or whomever is the appropriate individual? It would seem this type of disruption and behavor would warrent it.

What is your school policy on handling such behavior? I know my children's school has policies that outline exactly how certain behavior will be handled.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 04:59 pm
Me, too, with ehBeth and Linkat. Why haven't you discussed this with your school principal or guidance counsellor?
0 Replies