OSCAR Competition for 2002 Foreign Films

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:16 pm
Subj: Record-Breaking 54 Countries in Competition for Oscar(R)

December 2, 2002

A record-breaking 54 countries have submitted films to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for Academy Award(R) consideration in the Foreign Language Film Award category, Academy President Frank Pierson announced today.

It is the largest number of films ever entered in this category, besting last year's record by three films. Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Chad each had films that qualified this year for the first time.

The submissions for 2002 are:
Afghanistan, "FireDancer," Jawed Wassel, director;

Algeria, "Rachida," Yamina Bachir-Chouikh, director;

Argentina, "Kamchatka," Marcelo Piñeyro, director;

Austria, "Gebürtig," Robert Schindel & Lukas Stepanik, directors;

Bangladesh, "The Clay Bird," Tareque Masud, director;

Belgium, "The Son," Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, directors;

Brazil, "City of God," Fernando Meirelles, director;

Bulgaria, "Warming up Yesterday's Lunch," Kostadin Bonev, director;

Canada, "Un Crabe Dans la Tête," André Turpin, director;

Chad, "Abouna," Mahamat Saleh Haroun, director;

Chile, "Ogu y Mampato en Rapa Nui," Alejandro Rojas, director;

China, "Hero," Zhang Yimou, director;

Colombia, "The Invisible Children," Lisandro Duque Naranjo, director;

Croatia, "Fine Dead Girls," Dalibor Matanic, director;

Cuba, "Nothing More," Juan Carlos Cremata, director;

Czech Republic, "Wild Bees," Bohdan Sláma, director;

Denmark, "Open Hearts," Susanne Bier, director;

Egypt, "The Secret of the Young Girl," Magdy Ahmed Aly, director;

Finland, "The Man without a Past," Aki Kaurismaki, director;

France, "8 Women," François Ozon, director;

Germany, "Nowhere in Africa," Caroline Link, director;

Greece, "The Only Journey of His Life," Lakis Papastathis, director;

Hungary, "Hukkle," György Pálfi, director;

Iceland, "The Sea," Baltasar Kormakur, director;

India, "Devdas," Sanjay Leela Bhansail, director;

Indonesia, "Ca-bau-kan," Nia diNata, director;

Iran, "I'm Taraneh, 15," Rassul Sadr-Ameli, director;

Israel, "Broken Wings," Nir Bergman, director;

Italy, "Pinocchio," Roberto Benigni, director;

Japan, "Out," Hideyuki Hirayama, director;

Korea, "Oasis," Lee Chang-dong, director;

Lebanon, "When Maryam Spoke Out," Assad Fouladkar, director;

Luxembourg, "Dead Man's Hand," Laurent Brandenburger & Philippe Boon, directors;

Mexico, "The Crime of Father Amaro," Carlos Carrera, director;

Netherlands, "Zus & Zo," Paula van der Oest, director;

Norway, "Hold My Heart," Trygve Allister Diesen, director;

Philippines, "Small Voices," Gil M. Portes, director;

Poland, "Edi," Piotr Trzaskalski, director;

Portugal, "O Delfim," Fernando Lopes, director;

Romania, "Philanthropy," Nae Caranfil, director;

Russia, "House of Fools," Andrei Konchalovsky, director;

Slovakia, "Cruel Joys," Juraj Nvota, director;

Slovenia, "Head Noise," Andrej Kosak, director;

Spain, "Los Lunes Al Sol," Fernando Leon de Aranoa, director;

Sweden, "Lilja 4-ever," Lukas Moodysson, director;

Switzerland, "Aime Ton Pere," Jacob Berger, director;

Taiwan, "The Best of Times," Chang Tso-Chi, director;

Thailand, "Mon-rak Transistor," Pen-ek Ratanaruang, director;

Tunisia, "The Magic Box," Rida Behi, director;

Turkey, "9," Umit Unal, director;

United Kingdom, "Eldra," Tim Lyn, director;

Uruguay, "Corazon de Fuego," Diego Arsuaga, director;

Venezuela, "The Archangel's Feather," Luis Manzo, director;

Yugoslavia, "Labyrinth," Miroslav Leki, director.

Each country is invited to submit its best film of the year to the Academy. Selection of those entries is made by juries comprised of filmmakers from that country. Only one film, which need not have been released in Los Angeles, is accepted from each country.

The Foreign Language Film Award Committee, chaired by producer Mark Johnson ("Rain Man," for which he won the Best Picture Oscar(R), "What Lies Beneath" and "Galaxy Quest"), will screen all entries beginning December 4, and then vote to nominate five achievements, said Awards Coordinator Patrick Stockstill.

Entries submitted for Foreign Language Film Award consideration may also be considered in most other categories, providing they meet the eligibility requirements governing those categories.

Five films have won both the Foreign Language Film Oscar and another award as well: 1998's winner, "Life Is Beautiful," also received both the Best Actor Award for its star Roberto Benigni and the Oscar for Best Original Dramatic Score; "Fanny and Alexander," which won in 1983, also won Oscars(R) for Costume Design, Cinematography and Art Direction; "Z," the 1969 winner, also won for Film Editing; "A Man and a Woman," which won in 1966, also won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar; and the 1963 winner, "8 1/2," also won an Oscar for Costume Design.

The 75th Anniversary Academy Award nominations will be announced at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Tuesday, February 11, 2003.

Academy Awards(R) for outstanding film achievements of 2002 will be presented on Sunday, March 23, 2003, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland(R) and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5:30 p.m. PST. A half-hour arrival segment will precede the presentation ceremony at 5 p.m
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 8
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 05:40 pm
Lightwizard-Thanks for the foreign film nomination listings. Although I see
almost all foreign films that get commercial U.S. releases, I recognized very few. I am sure that many are scheduled for 2003 and many not at all. Many are not listed on Imdb. I tried some back door checking via the director but had only limited success. I am looking forward to the Chinese entry, "Hero", directed by Zhang Yi Mou since two of his recent films that I did see, "The Road Home" and "Not One Less" were my kind of film. The Mexican entry, which I have seen, "The Crime of Father Amoro", is excellent. I'll have to bide my time for info on the rest.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 06:19 pm
Couzz, who always sends me these announcements as they are released, is tied up with visitors so I posted this for her. I haven't checked on NetFlix but generally they do have every film that's made it to DVD (I'm not currently a member but when I want to catch up on these films from the list, I subscribe for maybe three or four months).
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
What the hell happened to Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, a terrific film????
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:04 pm
I guess we have to blame it on the system, one nomination per country. Mexico chose "The Crime of Father Amaro". I have seen and liked both films and would definitely have chosen "Y Tu Mama--". Since "Crime" had religious political implications and there was a strong attempt to keep the film from showing in Mexico, there was probably a strong backlash component to the voting. I believe the same thing would have happened in Hollywood.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:15 pm
I made the mistake on another thread, forgetting the list I posted regarding "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and it's chances for the Oscar. It's actually a 2001 film, not released in America until 2002. I still can't quite figure out what happened. Should someone finally figure it out, please post here.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 09:04 pm
Perhaps you're asking me, lightwiz.

Y tu mamá también was given limited release in the US in 2001. So it could've been a contender for last year's Oscar.

Well, it was not picked to compete for Mexico. The Mexican "Academy" dissapointingly chose another movie over it, by a short margin: Perfume de Violetas, a film about two lower class girls who are raped. I haven't seem that film, partly because I dislike the miserabilistic Use of Film As a Way To Denounce All Horrible Social Injustices done by some left wing members of the Mexican inteligentsia. Perfume de Violetas didn't even make it to the nominations.

Spain, the other producing country of Y tu mamá también also picked another film for last year's competition.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:35 pm
Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN might have been too scandalous, because of its strong sexual content--not just hetero but homo--to be the official nominee. Too bad, because I thought it was great. It held up well when I saw it again on DVD 2 weeks ago, too.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 05:45 pm
Larry, it was not the conservatives who denied Y tu mamá también the chance to be nominated, but a strong current among Mexican intellectuals who love every film where life in Mexico is depicted as cruel, the poor are victimized and/or men are all bad.

Y tu mamá también was hardly controversial in the country. The director protested it being classified C (over 18), since teenagers were the characters. We all know any 15 year old can get into a "C" movie, if S/he does not look younger than 15. So another classification was made: B15.

It was a shame. When I saw Y tu mamá también, in july 2001, I said to myself: "Hey, we have another Oscar contender".
0 Replies