Where have all the fantasy RPGs gone?

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:23 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
seems like the consoles rule over computers these days

I think this is the answer right here. In the 90s and early years of this century, PC gaming was very hot, with some great RPGs out there. But starting with PS, companies began to realize that they could make more money selling you a console, for which you could be suckered into buying the newer version, etc. If you need a more powerful computer to play the next generation of PC games, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc., don't make one thin dime from that. But if they can sucker you into an exclusive platform, then they can sell you the PS2, the PS3, etc.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:03 am
@Setanta,
Margins on consoles are razor-thin. (Actually, I think some companies actually lose (or lost) money on the consoles.) They made their money from partnering with the game manufacturers.

Kinda like inkjet printers - sell the hardware at a loss and make your money on the back end with the ink.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:05 am
@DrewDad,
I'll add that a huge benefit for developers on these consoles is the limited number of hardware configurations they have to test on and troubleshoot. That and the fact that the hardware is very powerful, especially the video processing units.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:14 am
@DrewDad,
Oh, no doubt. But the point is that you get sucked into the console market, and of course that means the games. As an example, going back to the late 90s:. I played an excellent RPG, arguably among the best ever written, which used the infinity engine, and which included some very popular titles--Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II (not as big a success as the distributor hoped) and Neverwinter Nights. The last named game was developed from a very popular D&D game which was available to Yahoo subscribers in the 80s and early 90s, and was arguably the first MMORPG.

But then Sony made a deal with the publisher, Interplay, which was in financial straits, and came out with a second expansion for BGII:SoA, which was only available for PS or PS2. Interplay tanked anyway, and NWN is the only RPG from the infinity engine series which has survived. That's largely because of a very loyal fan base, in some cases going back 20 years.

The competition between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for the console platform games is cutthroat, and although i can't say it to a certainty, i opine that they have driven the PC version RPGs right out of the market. Those companies have deep pockets--companies like Interplay couldn't compete.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:23 am
Another good example is Dugeon Siege, written by Chris Taylor, who wrote Total Annihilation (an RTS game). Taylor had founded Gas Powered Games, and DS and DSII were released by Microsoft, with an online component with which Microsoft hoped to compete in the then new MMORPG market. DS came out in 2002, and DSII in 2005. But Microsoft didn't dominate the MMORPG market as they hoped, and they soon stopped hosting the online game. Taylor has not continued the DS series. (Unlike other games, DSII was actually an expansion of DS, and not a new stand-alone game). Afik to date, Taylor has not returned to the sword and sorcery RPG field, and has instead returned to RTS games.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 07:32 am
Sorry, i got the facts wrong there. Atari was the publisher for DS, and Microsoft provided the web hosting. They also, i believe, provided Taylor the financial support to develop the expansion, DSII. Atari, however, showed no interest in continuing the series, so Taylor went back to RTS, and another big company dropped out of the publishing of PC platform RPGs.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:45 am
@littlek,
Has anyone tried Dungeons and Dragons Online?

Just saw this online commercial about it's unlimited free gaming campaign.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:17 pm
I haven't. (but, I'm not all that interested in online gaming).
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 12:33 pm
@littlek,
I never tried MMO type online gaming before but I have been hankering to get back into some kind of Dungeons and Dragons gaming of sorts. Thought this might make a good beginners return to the game.
littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Could be!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 04:58 pm
@littlek,
I been playing it several hours today. So far it's a darn pretty good game.

At this stage of the game the missions are short and simple. Get a chance to get a feel for the controls and at least some of the rules and their are a lot of rules. I think the game is leashed to D and D 3.5 rules if memory serves me correctly.
Ionus

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:21 pm
Quote:
Where have all the fantasy RPGs gone?
Everyone is a First Person Shooter. It really sucks. I am a Strategy and Simulation fan and they have taken a hiding too ! It is about 3-4 years between releases of truly good games. FPS are like one a month but they are all the same. You could be braindead and still play. When the revolution comes, we will line up all the FPS and shoot them.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I am a Strategy and Simulation fan and they have taken a hiding too ! It is about 3-4 years between releases of truly good games.

Yaawwwn....

Quote:
FPS are like one a month but they are all the same. You could be braindead and still play.

Booo!

~
The Sims Medieval!!
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/thesimsmedieval/video/6283459?hd=1
http://www.thesimsmedieval.com/
Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 06:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Booo!
Ok now that was very hurtful. You know how sweet and sensitive I am. I think I will cry myself to sleep over that one.

Play with a Strategist ! They know how to manouver !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 06:27 am
@tsarstepan,
What do you have to do to sign up, Boss? Do they just want an e-mail address, or are they asking for more information?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 09:57 am
Looks cool, maybe I'll check it out. I'm stuck deep in the Temple of Elemental Evil right now and need to finish that first - and I was going to hit Baldur's Gate 2 while I was at it... but maybe I'll put that on the back burner.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 05:30 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

All that's left of video gaming is warfare and legos-characters.... or so it seems.

Are there new games a la morrowind or mist?
Think World of WarCraft ate most fantasy RPG's, but as of late Dragon Age.

Go search the Gamespot.com sites for RPG, I'm sure you'll find plenty.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:16 pm
@Setanta,
Are you asking about Medieval Sims? Because that won't be released until March 2011 (give or take a few months).

As for D and D online? They didn't ask for a credit card and all you have to do is a basic registration (email being the minimal needed information if memory serves me correctly).

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks Boss.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 09:03 pm
Can anyone report back on the D&D online? I'm really enjoying Temple of Elemental Evil and could be tempted.

Cycloptichorn