This is a test, this is only a test.....

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:08 am
@PUNKEY,
He's been away from me before for a few days for visits with his bio-people but that's just a few miles and an easy phone call away.

He's not usually so clingy. His attachment issues make him worry about people not coming back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:24 am
@boomerang,
For whatever one may allege against your character in other matters, as far as concerns your relationship to this boy and your care of him, i consider you a saint, Boom.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 08:51 am
@Tai Chi,
I'd agree with this - with a child like Mo, I think as much structure around when you would contact him or him with you the better. And if you set a time when you will reach out - DO so on time or even a little early. Even kids without issues around attachment this would be important, but even more so - he will need to know that you will call him/email him at such and such time.

Also have your hubby keep as much structure as possible around his typical schedule - except maybe a special outing for the two of them - maybe going out to eat at restaurant Mo loves or to an arcade or a movie. Make it special for the two boys as well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:01 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
How did you handle it when you could tell that Jane was missing you. What did you say to make her okay?

I told her that I miss her too and that I will be back very soon and that I'll bring
her something from NY (bribe always helps Very Happy). I also called her every night
at the same time, so she didn't have to be anxiously waiting for my call or have
fear of missing my calls.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:13 am
@Setanta,
Me, too.

I didn’t have the same issues to contend with boomer, though my own situation paralleled yours in some ways, to my mind anyway. No need or desire to go into any of that except to say I’ve personally related to many of your posts about Mo. I’ll take the time now to tell you I very much admire how you do the very best you can for him. He's a lucky boy. I think I know how very lucky you are, too Smile
~~~
That said, my husband would make a point of having “boys night in,” whenever I was away for a weekend or even for a night out with the girls. They’d rent movies and have homemade chocolate/banana milkshakes almost as a rite of passage, and have a bit of fun boasting to me how while I was away they could “burp and fart and not have to say excuse me.”

We kept it light.
George

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 02:10 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:
. . . That said, my husband would make a point of having “boys night in,”
whenever I was away for a weekend or even for a night out with the girls.
They’d rent movies and have homemade chocolate/banana milkshakes
almost as a rite of passage, and have a bit of fun boasting to me how while
I was away they could “burp and fart and not have to say excuse me.” . . .

That really brings back memories. It is very close to the strategy we used
with Rhys. Of course, no two cases are ever alike. With Rhys, it was more
a case of his feeling bad that Mom was doing something fun without him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:28 pm
My trip was FABULOUS and Mo and Mr. B did really good.

They are both very happy to have me home. I feel appreciated for the first time in a while.

Mo and I worked it out on the way to the airport -- he would call me every morning and I would call him every night.

Meanwhile Mr. B went into "bachelor" mode so the boys ate pizza in front of the TV and went go-cart driving and did "projects" and had a good boy time since I was off having a good girl time.

Mo thought it was hilarious that I went to a fancy spa and came home with paint on my toenails. It was the first thing he wanted to see and he's still teasing me about being all girly and offering to buy me Barbie dolls.

Good times.

Thank you all for your help in putting my mind at ease and for your advice on how to help him with the transition.
sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:29 pm
@boomerang,
Awesome!

Good job, everyone.

edit: by "everyone" I meant boomer, Mr. B, and Mo, but I guess that applies to advice-givers here too!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 04:30 pm
@boomerang,
GREAT!

Glad to hear it went so well and that everyone had a good time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:32 am
@boomerang,
That's great! Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time and it doesn't hurt that the ones you help out and work so hard realize how much you do for them.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:16 pm
Coming from another mom who has an only child who is a boy...

It's good for Mo to remember that you're a girl. Cool
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:22 pm
@boomerang,
Sounds great! Now Mo can get you that Barbie you've been after for Christmas.
djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:27 pm
when my nephews were little (2 & 4 if i remember), my mom and i went to look after them while tai chi and mr. fix-it went to england

their first call came from a pay phone near lands end and the oldest one wouldn't talk to them, the youngest got on the line and babbled like a lunatic, after they hung up, the older on asked if they'd left a number were we could call back, he was ready to talk to them now, after explaining that wasn't going to happen, he decided to talk the times after that they called
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:31 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Sounds great! Now Mo can get you that Barbie you've been after for Christmas.

Is that the Sarah Palin Barbie?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/collegeotr/images/blogs/7c3fc6e8ec6166b4dfb1f53b3607df1e.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:00 pm
@boomerang,
Yay!!!!
0 Replies