The 'I voted' thread!

failures art

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

How did you vote on the 3 ballot measures here in VA? I voted yes, but I heard some good arguments to the contrary.

I voted YES on the Rainy Day Fund

I voted YES on Veteran Prop Tax Exemption - I think it is worded specifically enough to avoid loop-hole abuse. You can't fake 100% permanent and total disability or death.

I voted NO on Elderly Prop Tax Exemption - I did not think this was worded specifically enough to avoid abuse. I could see in my head a number of people finding ways to claim permanent disability just to keep cash.

A
R
T
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:23 pm
@failures art,
At last check, the 2 Prop Tax exemptions are ahead by 75-25. The Rainy Day thing is split almost 50-50.
I really need to get a hobby beyond politics.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
The DEM Senate candidate in Delaware has beaten the Tea Bagger pretty soundly. AND, a surprise, the Dem candidate for the HOuse has also won.

In Pa, the Sneate race is presently being led by the Dem but I deont think itll sustain as the results ferom the heavily rural center of the state come trickling in. Pat Toomey will probably win even though hes behind now.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:36 pm
@CoastalRat,
If you ever do get to the coast of SC Cy, you let me know. I'll buy you a cold one and we can get together and talk anything but politics. lol

Let me know about that. I will try to make it too!

We can talk politics, just not necessarily agree! But, that's ok.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:01 pm
I voted, bright and early this morning. Went and got a cup of coffee, and waited about 15 minutes for the polls to open. About 15 folks in front of me. The weather was perfect. I voted for more Democrats than I ever have before, mostly because I couldn't stomach voting for some of the xenophobic/racist republicans we had on the ballot here in Arizona. Some I just didn't vote for, some I voted for their opponents.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:57 am
Of course I voted, dumpkopfs that you ask. This was my first time via absentee vote. Easy.

I actually have a acquaintance/friend running, Debra Bowen, sec of state for CA. I'm presuming she'll glide.
http://www.debrabowen.com/

I see she conquered her hair..

we were all buds back in the day, and I think my ex is still in touch with her. Whatever, she is one of two people I take as sane with an eyeball to what is going on in the political arena.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:26 am
I voted around midday, no one hardly was there so got out pretty fast. Took my granddaughter with me. She asked a lot of question, so I guess the day wasn't wasted even though Rand Paul won in my state.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 07:02 am
@revelette,
In Holland there"s no money to fix old f-16' Drunk

Drunk couragette
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 07:25 am
@Ticomaya,
I think it is interesting that while the Republicans had a great night (and news outlets that are calling it a split decision are clearly trying to make a storyline that doesn't hold water), the voters did reject the worst candidates out there. No Christine O'Donnell, no Sharron Angle, no Ilario Pantano. Of the really questionable characters out there, only Rand Paul won and considering Kentucky's recent history, I thought that was the likely outcome. It seems there is a limit to voter discontent.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 07:26 am
Cyclo wrote:
Did you vote? How were the lines? How was the weather? Were you there next to crazy people in line? Did you bring your kids so they could vote? Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement? Are you going to vote Green party of Libertarian?

Is there a race you think is going to go different? Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror?

Yep, I voted at the Y. I also work out there, so vote first and then work out, so I wouldn't get any sweat on the nice polling place ladies. No serious lines (it was after 9 AM). Weather was slightly chilly but no precip. No one was crazier than usual. Smile

No kids. Mostly voted for Dems but I did vote for a Green Party candidate named Fortune to be City Auditor. This was due to the silliness of the name and for no other reason. Voted against the tax repeals as the Commonwealth could use the $$ and I didn't think it was really hitting me that hard (one was a liquor tax and I rarely drink). Voted against a change in the regulations for adding affordable housing.

Didn't watch past 9 PM -- too much to do today. Oh and I got a sticker but I think I threw it in the wash with my tee after the aforementioned workout (oops). Felt good to vote; it usually does.
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:26 am
@jespah,
The really odd thing I found on the three questions was that the repeal of the alcohol tax won, but the lowering of sales tax lost! I guess MA is just damn full of drunks!
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:33 am
@Linkat,
Maybe they're all Ted Kennedy wannabes in that way?

(Clown ducks while angry MA citizens and Kennedy lovers throw things at me.)
firefly

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:03 pm
Voted mid day, great weather, no lines at all in the polling place.

I stayed up to watch the election returns, particularly for the local returns--my congressional district and the state legislature, which tended to trickle in late. I found the coverage more boring than usual. No real surprises in the results, the Democrats generally did very well, and practically everyone I voted for was elected, so I'm feeling pretty happy about the outcome.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:08 pm
@CoastalRat,
Any Kennedy for that matter...and many other Democrats - we have a history of alcohol incidents and Democrats in our fine state -
0 Replies

passing by

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:20 pm
I am Scottish and I wish Americans would all give Obama and his government more time. He did not cuase the financial problems which are affecting your country now: they were all building up whilst Bush and his crowd were in power.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:52 pm
voted...also got a cute little sticker....I also feel like I ordered the prime rib and got a plate full of cow cock and collards.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 12:55 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
I also feel like I ordered the prime rib and got a plate full of cow cock and collards

Was it tasty?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:02 pm
@passing by,
I am Scottish and I wish Americans would all give Obama and his government more time. He did not cuase the financial problems which are affecting your country now: they were all building up whilst Bush and his crowd were in power.

I agree 100% but unfortunately most of America doesn't. Every 2 years we spend a lot of effort throwing out the incumbents just to grow new ones in 2 years. I don't see much long term improvement in sight.

And, I think our economic problems are older than just GWB's terms, but your point is well taken. Not much talk of how to fix the real problems, just a lot of yelling and screaming and finger pointing.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:35 pm
"I voted" - Real meaning - I spent my afternoon mastrurbating with nothing to show for it.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:25 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

I spent my afternoon mastrurbating with nothing to show for it.

You're doing it wrong.
0 Replies