The 'I voted' thread!

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Dang it - I voted and did not get a sticker - as a matter of fact, I've never gotten a sticker.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And in reply to how it was - more people than I've ever seen - that is not to say that I had to wait. One person in front of me to get a ballot - but open booths to vote with a bit of wiggle room. I was the only crazy around.

I didn't bring my kids because I went in the middle of the day - last time I tried to vote first thing in the morning it was a mad house - seeing I vote at a school there is always lots of traffic around there in the morning so I use my lunch hour to vote - much less people and get in and out quickly.

I am going to stay up (at least a bit) to see the results. We have some tight races so it is going to be interesting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:35 pm
@CoastalRat,
I third it - usually I just change the channel when any political commercial comes on whether negative positive or whatever the h*ll. I like to simply read on the candidates policies/experience or lack there of/viewpoints on issues. I don't vote on any ads. I throw away the mail on this as well.

And forget about all the voicemails I have from candidates.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:36 pm
Oh and as far as the numbers go - I was number 340 in my ward/precint. Higher than usual when I go vote.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Big election today. Did you vote? I did! Got the cute sticker and everything.

http://chipneal.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/printelect-i-voted-today1.gif?w=450&h=450

The Conservatives here would be shocked to know that I voted...
for a Republican in one of my local elections!
I voted mostly a straight Conservative ticket, except that I voted for my Democratic Representative in the House.
(He did me a favor.)
I felt guilty in voting against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, because she is such a beautiful blonde. I expect her to win easily anyway.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Because he's a great guy with good ideas, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Did you vote? How were the lines? How was the weather?
The weather was good; no line.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Were you there next to crazy people in line?
No line

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Did you bring your kids so they could vote?
I don 't have any kids, but in a recent election,
there was a 12 year old boy in line with his mother.
He said that he wanted to vote.
I told him that if it were up to me, he coud vote.
I hope I cheered him up.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement?
Are you going to vote Green party of Libertarian?

I always vote for whoever I think will do the job as close to
how I 'd do it, if I had the job; i.e., voting in support of
freedom-loving Individualistic supporters of Original Constitutionalism and laissez faire capitalism, or as close thereto as possible.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Is there a race you think is going to go different?
Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror?
YES; with glee, plenty of glee

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Election time, here again, oh yeah, GO AMERICA!!

Cycloptichorn
Yeah!

David
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:51 pm
Voted. No lines. Got a sticker. Said "hey" to a couple folks who are election officials at my polling place who I only run into on election day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:01 pm
Me vote. Choose wisely between two evils. Me content. Rest now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I didn't answer all the questions, just that I voted and lack of lines.

Did you get a sticker?
- Yep, wearing it with pride.

How was the weather?
- Chilly but pretty

Were you there next to crazy people in line?
- Nope! Wasn't even there long enough to be next to anyone in line. Stepped right up to the table, then after I signed in I went right to the voting machine.

Did you bring your kids so they could vote?
- She's not old enough. I purposely went during school/ work hours to avoid the lines.

Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement?
- A bit of each, mostly Democrats though (one Republican). One local issue makes a statement sort of, hope it passes.

Are you going to vote Green party of Libertarian?
- Nope.

Is there a race you think is going to go different?
- Go differently than... it's predicted to go? No definites on Strickland, hope he stays in office.

Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror?
- Not too late. Polls close at 7:30 here, hopefully some results will be evident shortly thereafter.
JPB

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:30 pm
@sozobe,
oops, I missed some too.

How was the weather? It's a gorgeous day here today.

Were you there next to crazy people in line? No lines

Did you bring your kids so they could vote? No, both are away at school. One is registered to vote, the other isn't. The one who is registered isn't voting absentee, the one who isn't registered needs to do so.

Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement? I voted all over the grid. Saved a few, tossed a few, voted against some "protect the family" types.

Are you going to vote Green party or Libertarian? Some of each along with a few Reps and Dems.

Is there a race you think is going to go different? I'm really curious how the IL Senate race is going to come out. It's closely contested. I voted for one to complete the upcoming lame duck session and a different one to sit for the next 6 years.

Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror? There's no chance for glee, little chance for horror. I'll watch, but I won't stay up to do it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
My wife and I voted after lunch - the turn out was steady - the weather was fall like.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:17 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
If I was in SC, I would go Dem just to save the education system.

See POM, a perfectly natural use of the English language. E used 'was', rather than subjunctive 'were' to express a situation counter to fact, a counterfactual, irrealis.

No one misunderstood him, it probably didn't even register with the vast majority, though I won't suggest that there aren't still a lot of Strunk & White misfits out there.

You should apologize to Okie for trying to malign his natural use of English.

Carry on with your election, folks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:33 pm
I voted at 2 pm on a beautiful fall day in Virginia. There was no line. I left my ID in the car but one of the poll watchers said "I know him. He owns...." I could have been asked to fill out a form saying I am who I claim to be.
The only electoral office on the ballot turns out to be one of the most watched in the country. President Obama was in town Friday evening on behalf of the incumbent Dem, Tom Perriello. Perriello won by 727 votes in 2008 but will lose his House seat tonight.
For some reason, precincts get to select which "I voted" stickers to pass out. Some of them are very attractive, graphically. Not mine; really, really boring. They always have been.
The PTO/PTA used to sell home-baked cakes and pies to exiting voters. I loved that. But due to lack of participation or perhaps to concern over liability, that doesn't happen anymore.
I will be up late even though I already know the outcome.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:50 pm
I was vote #684 at around 2pm on a beautiful brisk day in NC. That's a good turn out!

Only two people outside the polling place, a Republican white man and a Democrat white woman. They were handing out sheets listing Dem and Republican candidates that would be on the ballot when we got inside since party affiliation is not noted for all races (mainly judicial but also water conservation commissioner kinda stuff). They had shared their respective sheets with each other so that no matter which one was free for the next approaching voter, they would each hand out both the Dem and Repub sheet.

Interesting note: The Republican sheet was a heavy stock full color red, white and blue semi gloss with a portion of the flag. Names were printed in white over the red and blue. Slick. Democrat sheet was medium stock plain yellow sheet with black lettering. Simple. Certainly not as expensive to produce. I handed them both back to the lady when I left so they could pass them along if needed.

That whole thing made me wonder about the Alaska rule and the Murkowski write-in. I guess people in Alaska can't take any paper in with them? Yet, here they give you a sheet of the candidates broken down by party to take into the booth.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:16 pm
I just voted and it was a PITA, but (always) worth it.

Raining heavy here in Dallas and they changed my polling place without telling me.

They also went back to paper ballots which was fine except there were eight pages of local initiatives that I (ashamed to say) had not boned up on. Our town is run by Republicans and so I voted YES on every one except the one that wants to change every Town reference to "him" to "him/her." What a pointless waste of money.

Going to watch the returns with friends and cheer all night.

Looking forward to your paying up on our bet Cyclo.

God Bless America!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Raining heavy here in Dallas and they changed my polling place without telling me.

Wow, that sucks.

Quote:
Looking forward to your paying up on our bet Cyclo.

Well, I'm certainly not looking forward to it. We'll see what happens.

I shoulda made you include the Senate...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Did you vote? Naturally.

How were the lines? Not long, but the one election judge who didn't know the alphabet was, of course, put in charge of checking everyone's names.

How was the weather? Crisp.

Were you there next to crazy people in line? No, but the lady voting in the next booth couldn't understand the ballot at all. "I want to vote Democrat" she kept telling the election judge who was trying to assist her. I, meanwhile, took great pride in the fact that we live in a country where her vote would count for just as much as mine.

Did you bring your kids so they could vote? I don't have any kids, so I borrowed someone else's. This, it turns out, was regarded by many as something of a social gaffe, as was forcefully pointed out to me by a lady who identified herself as the tot's "mother." Who knew?

Are you going to throw the bums out/protect your guys/flip the house/make a statement? As always, I voted mostly for candidates who had no chance of winning.

Are you going to vote Green party of Libertarian? I voted for all the Green candidates.

Is there a race you think is going to go different? The races for water reclamation district commissioners are always good for a surprise.

Are you going to stay up and watch the results with glee/horror? Nope, I'll read about it tomorrow in the funny papers.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
God Bless America!

puke

I'm sure that your handlers will be pleased to know that your programming went well, Finn.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:50 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Status from one of my friends on Facebook: "I remind all my Democrat friends to vote today. And all my Republican friends to vote tomorrow." Smile

I've always thought this joke was detestable.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:54 pm
I voted.

Minimal line. It took maybe 10-15 to walk from my car to the registration desk, vote, and walk back. Weather was unremarkable.

Virginia 08: 1 House Rep, 3 Ballot measures

A
R
T
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:59 pm
@failures art,
How did you vote on the 3 ballot measures here in VA? I voted yes, but I heard some good arguments to the contrary.