On a serious note.

plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ah, but what about the same woman? Just being facetious.

In Massachusetts, there is no such condition.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 09:39 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Ah, but what about the same woman? Just being facetious.
I did not refer to man as a gender.

Women = female men.

David
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:46 am
I agree with the will/letter idea. A lawyer can keep both and then present them to Diane at the appropriate time. There's also keeping a letter in a safety deposit box, but that means a key has to be secreted and the place where the key is kept has to be known to Diane.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:52 am
@dyslexia,
A legally obliged independent third party.

Good luck with the coherence.

Can I phone a friend on this question?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:29 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
I agree with the will/letter idea. A lawyer can keep both and then present them to Diane at the appropriate time. There's also keeping a letter in a safety deposit box, but that means a key has to be secreted and the place where the key is kept has to be known to Diane.
WARNING: it has happened that tearful widows show up, requesting access to safe deposit boxes.
Bank personnel inquire qua the nature of the trouble and she blurts out that fellow-boxholder is dead,
whereupon she is REFUSED access to the box (maybe for several weeks)
until the IRS and/or miscellaneous state officers have a chance to LOOK IN the box, and audit its contents,
to their hearts' content, on behalf of GOVERNMENT.

In the meantime, SHE IS SCREWN.
She can 't even lay her hands on her OWN personal stuff in the box.

That has happened too many times in American history.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I stand corrected. You're absolutely right. My bad.

Dys, go with a lawyer. Seriously. They have been doing stuff like this for hundreds of years.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

plainoldme wrote:
I hate to pry. I assumed, of course, that the Lady Diane would be your executrix.
I know nothing of New Mexico, but in many jurisdictions,
the same man cannot be both executor and a beneficiary of a will.

David

Really? I'm executrix for my Mom and step-dad. I think Mom was executrix for her parents, and she was able to receive her portion of the estate. That was in Missouri.

I understand that you clarified re: different states / different rules. This is good to know. I'll have to check into it. Thank you.

Dys, I'd go with a document on the computer as others have suggested, and label the folder in all caps "DIANE." When she turns on the computer she should see it as a shortcut on the desktop, assuming you share a computer and don't have it partitioned with passwords.

Make sure her name is on the safety deposit box at the bank too, so she doesn't run into non-access as David mentioned.
High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's correct - and we should add the exact same legal constraints apply to joint bank accounts upon death or incapacity of one signatory.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:21 am
@squinney,
You're confusing laws on joint property with laws on wills and estates. Vast difference: http://www.abanet.org/publiced/practical/estate.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:04 am
well, after thinking/pondering I decided that since I already have a wooden box I bought in Cairo some 40 years ago. ( a very pretty, hand carved box) that I now keep such papers as our birth certificates, passports etc in) I will simply add an envelope with the info Lady Diane will need. but, thanks for everyone's ideas.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:34 am
@squinney,
A friend of my ex-husband's was executor for his mother's estates and he was one of the heirs.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:44 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
A friend of my ex-husband's was executor for his mother's estates and he was one of the heirs.
Prof. Plain, that shoud be:
"A friend of my ex-husband . . . " etc.
not "A friend of my ex-husband's . . . ".

Man rose to the top of the food chain by being competent in LOGIC.
For the most part, English grammar is founded upon competent logic.

(WHICH subject did u say u r teaching in college ?)

David
plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You're just angry because I am one of the many folks here who do not believe you were ever an attorney.

So, what if I come up with an occasional mistake? I limit my time here and never copy read.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 09:21 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You're just angry because I am one of the many folks here
who do not believe you were ever an attorney.
I 'm not mad at u, Prof. Plain; just being helpful.

Don 't worry; I promise not to tell your boss.

(What u claim to "believe" about my former profession is of no value to me.)

plainoldme wrote:
So, what if I come up with an occasional mistake? I limit my time here and never copy read.
RIGHT, "SO, WHAT???" Liberals have no interest in adhering to being correct; thay r deviant!

Being right is of little value, if u can be liberal instead, right ??

0 Replies