will niggles

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
is it normal for partner to make me write a new will immediately after getting married?It was first thing to do on getting back from honeymoon. I had a will leaving my money to children from previous marriage. Now it is all left to partner who says he will see kids get all this money and more if anything happens to me and to trust him. Feel uncomfortable about it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,624 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:02 pm
@littlegeenfinch,
Fly away, littlegreenfinch, fly as fast as you can to your lawyer and change that will back to what you had before, best done with your 'partner' in the lawyer's office.

NO marriage"partner" and from what you've stated here, I use the term 'partner' lightly, makes a partner, or any person for that matter, change THEIR will that describes how they want THEIR money distributed.

Again, only from what you've stated here, you should feel more than uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:13 pm
@littlegeenfinch,
IMHO, you're right to feel uncomfortable. However, any advice given without ALL the facts is dangerous and premature to someone in your current situation. It's possibly a quite delicate situation - just back from your honeymoon.

However, the first thing I would do if I were you is to sit down and discuss this with him and don't over-react or jump to hysterical conclusions. Admittedly, the urgency and timing seems suspect, but the only way to to get to the bottom is to ask him point blank and have a complete dialogue. Once you get the actual facts, you should know where to go and what to do.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:21 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
is to sit down and discuss this with him and don't over-react or jump to hysterical conclusions.

Do this with at least one police officer, a big one, in the room with you two, with SWAT backup outside.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:35 pm
@littlegeenfinch,
oof! I'd have more than niggles, if I was you. Sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you'd hoped to be thinking about shortly after your wedding and honeymoon. I suppose it could be a simple case of cultural differences and attitudes about women having authority over their own funds, but I don't much like the sound of this situation.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 07:59 pm
@littlegeenfinch,
MAKE YOU!?

That's not in the least normal. Get on down to a lawyer (not his) and set it back up just the way it was before he made you change it.

Do not feel obliged to inform him of the change. It isn't any business of his.

What country do you live in, by the way?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:35 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
... if I was you

Another natural use of language by a highly competent user of English that blows another silly prescription out of the water.

Are you paying attention, Plainoldme?

Sorry, carry on with the will stuff.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:48 am
And did HE change his will?

It's not unusual for newlyweds to adjust their legal papers, but if it's one-sided, I'd be concerned.

Please do this in front of a lawyer. The lawyer can help you phrase the wording to make sure the funds are distributed according to your wishes.
0 Replies

littlegeenfinch

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:30 am
thank you for your advise have sorted it
Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 09:22 am
@littlegeenfinch,
What does that mean? Can you be specific? How did you resolve it?
0 Replies