inheritance question

jacnit

Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:43 pm
my mom & dad made a will which included all 5 of us kids with everything divided equally upon their passing...they also made an irravocable trust. My sister & brother are POA but I have no idea if they are the "trustees" if that makes sense..I do know there is an attorney or two that advises them about the trust but my dad passed away one month ago (my mom five years ago)...relationships are really bad among my siblings and I and I have not heard anything yet in regards to where the trust/will stands at this moment. I am afraid out of greed my sister and brother could withhold what is to be shared with the rest of us...can they do this as trustees, if in fact they are which I don't know. I know for sure there is a will that divides everything equally among the 5 of us and for sure they have an irrovable trust...beyond that I can get no information from my the POA's...have you have experience with this and how does it work now that both of my parents have passed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,847 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:00 pm
@jacnit,
I've no idea on the will, so you are going to need an attorney. Keep in mind that trusts, as well as IRAs and insurance policies are not part of the probate estate, and are much harder to contest.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:15 pm
@jacnit,
Get a lawyer to explain this to you, and to fight for your rights if it comes to that.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Tue 24 Feb, 2015 08:59 am
The five of you must have a meeting to discuss and make an agreement of how to settle the division of the goods.

If no agreement is made, or no cooperation is found, then you must calculate first how much is the value of the part that it may correspond to you.

Second, check how much will be the attorney's fees.

Third, do your math and see if hiring an attorney is worthy, because I can tell you that attorney's cost might suck the whole part you have inherited, and it is better to keep the goods in the family rather than giving them (as payment) to strangers.
0 Replies

easterndebt

Tue 17 Mar, 2015 02:39 am
No matter what you should talk to a qualified attorney. they say a stitch in time saves nine.
0 Replies