"Quad" cramps? (I think it's the "quad" cramping).

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
I have an obscure genetic bone disease. Both of my femurs have been broken several times and have healed out-of-true.

Every so often the muscles on the front of my thighs (one side at a time) cramp and ache. I take Tylenol with codine to break the pain/tension cycle. Usually the muscle relaxes within 24 hours and all is well.

I have a regime of mild exercises that I try to do daily. Should I skip waving my legs around when the pain of the tense muscle is masked? Or will the exercise help unkink the muscle?

I asked my Internist and he said, "Search me." My orthopedic surgeon says, "No pain, no gain."

Any information would be welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,372 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:50 pm
Why not PM to safecracker? Training is kind of his field.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 04:30 pm
Roger--

Good idea. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:39 pm
Ok this is tricky without doing a full questionaire but my advice would be to realize what type of pain it is, if it is related to the bones healing a lil different then normal DO NOT EXERCISE WHEN THE PAIN IS OCCURRING. It's fine to do so when their is no pain but pain is not a sign of progress. "No pain, No gain" was a phrase coined to mean if there was no Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness that you were not making progress and that is false. To losen the muscle try massaging or having massaged the full leg, their are 10 manipulations involved in this only a couple can be done yourself but are hard to put in writing. It could help in the long term to go see a massage therapist.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:00 am
Safecracker--

Thanks for coming. This is not bone pain--believe me, I know bone pain.

Sometimes for no good reason a painful knot appears in the muscle at the front of my thigh. I've learned to take a pain killer immediately-otherwise the area of tense muscle increases--as does the pain.

Am I safe in doing very mild exercises while the Tylenol has banished the pain, but I can still feel the knot in the muscle.

Exercise does not seem to either increase or decrease the size of the knot. Of course they are mild, decorous, gentle exercises with only ten reps each.

Again--thanks. Your advice is most welcome.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:18 am
I wasn't meaning to imply that it was bone pain I was more learning toward the muscle being slightly out of place therefore becomming cramped more easily. Thats the point of a massage, to get the muscle back in whack and the cramp out as massage is a muscle thing not a bone thing. I wouldnt exercise that area any amount if it is in pain even if you are taking a pain killer as all a pain killer does is dull the recepters that feel the pain but the problem is still there. pain and exercise do not mix and can make things worse. if it was joint stiffness it would be fine to workout but not reoccuring muscle cramps/pain.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:32 am
Im not competent to give advice , but i have a condition called hypokalemia which, form taking my BP medicine, extracts too much potassium from my system and leaves me with excrutiating pain in joints. I take a k supplement and eat my fill of bananas. does your doc ever take a blood scan?

safecracker-i just noticed your choice in old cars. Im finishing a 427 cougar XR7 (1970) . Ive already blown a push rod from "testing its performance"
Have you seen the new Hemi Dodge pickup, new for 2004. it appears that Dodge is now making MUSCLE TRUCKS
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
farmerman believe it or not my wife has the same condition.

I seen the new trucks lol I could have swore they let my dad design em all I heard when he seen em was the tim taylor gunt lmao, btw nice car I have a 74 challenger myself.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
Safecracker--

Your reasoning makes sense. I hear and will obey. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies