The flawed concepts of meaning and purpose in human existence

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:22 pm

DIVINE ARTISTRY AND THE BEAUTY OF THE ABSURD
A discourse on the flawed concepts of meaning and purpose

written by: Remnant

The quest to understand the meaning and purpose of existence has perennially perplexed and eluded humanity. But in all our incessant searching is it possible that we have missed one salient notion? Perhaps meaning and purpose are erroneous concepts, contrived by a captive race of the human order, in a desperate attempt to connect with essence and comprehend the infinite. As futile a task this might seem to be, we have proven relentless in our inquisition. It seems it is our birth right to wonder, to ponder, to ask, and yet the more we search the less we find. We are as children dancing on a razor blade of ignorance while writhing into the void. Still, we retain the hope of someday being adorned with wisdom and given the answers to our most fundamental questions; what is the meaning of existence, and what is our purpose? It is my intent to go beyond this banal line of interrogation and reveal the heart of the matter through an alternate perspective. I propose that these questions are flawed in nature. Perhaps meaning and purpose are only diversionary anomalies, produced from ignorance of a divine artistic design. It is from this sentiment I will attempt to apply a different method of scrutiny, to delineate a case for the divine artist and reveal that perhaps we have been misguided in our approach of using the fallacious concepts of meaning and purpose to understand human existence.

Who holds the artist responsible? Should judgment and critique be given a voice to protest artistic expression? When a painter paints a picture, does she have to have a reason? When a musician plays a composition, does it have to make melodic sense? When a poet creates a sonnet, must it come to a logical conclusion? Free flowing beauty in words, in pictures, and in sounds all bare witness that meaning is marginalized in regards to the infinite. When one is part of the infinite, one can never reach a true purpose or meaning, because in the infinite these concepts are terminally elusive. Meaning and purpose are bound by the limits of time, once time is removed from the equation there is no logical end, therefore no meaning or purpose. Once the concept of time is put into perspective, it becomes apparent that any idea of end purpose is rendered impotent. Now, imagine you are the painter, stroking the canvas in a visceral display of beauty in complete autonomy, bound by no restraints, free from any limits. What would your artistic purpose be? Perhaps there is no need for purpose or meaning in your creative endeavor, but rather to simply display beauty. Under the assumption that there is a universal creator the idea becomes vivid. I have drawn meager comparisons to human artistry, but the artist of whom I am focused on is divine. That being said, we move forward with the notion of deity being the master artist. What then if this deity choosing in a beautiful, yet terrifying and horrific display, created an indescribable work of art that is the universe, including the human condition, and all of the physical and metaphysical elements, making every creature on the earth and in sea and sky, every sunset, every mountain and awe inspiring landscape, every strand of DNA in all its complexity, the systems of order and chaos, the constellations and all of space and time, the tragic and the comedic, every palpable emotion, every concept and negation, every paradox and perception, every thought of consciousness and the faculty to communicate and comprehend. Indeed, this is a very short list and unable to suffice in portraying the magnitude of the divine artist. Comprehending the infinite with a finite perspective is an exercise in futility. So, how do we bridge the gap between the infinite and the finite mind in order to understand?

Enter the absurd.The more one examines creation and scrutinizes what is, the more the absurd becomes apparent in all things, fatally perforating the concepts of meaning and purpose. The absurd is the master stroke of the artist, through which true wonder is shrouded in mystery. Why do we debase our lives and existence with demands for meaning? Why don’t we beckon the questions of what is the meaning of meaning? What is the purpose of purpose? I propose that we are hybrid beings made of flesh and that which is infinite, being displayed on a multi-dimensional canvas that is stretched into eternity. This is the wonder to which we must concede, not in sacrificing reason and logic, but in the amalgamation of these within the creative design. Reason and logic are endowments that are merely the interface of creation unto itself and the creator, with which we are to perceive yet not understand, to touch but not to grasp, and partake as participants in the magnum opus that is existence. Through the vehicles of pleasure and pain, understanding and confusion and all that embodies the physical and metaphysical realms, we are made not only spectators, but also living-breathing works in the art of the infinite, an evolving creation that is painted day by day, minute by minute and second by second. But what is the art of the infinite? Doesn’t even artistry debase the divine artist, who defies classification? Doesn’t the divine artist exercise the freedom to annihilate even the very concept of concepts!? True artistic expression can never be fully realized unless the artist is operating under total autonomy, a statement that I’m sure most artists would concur with. Autonomy is essential in order for the artist to retain authenticity in their work. That being said, I propose that all of existence is merely a work of art, of which there need be no meaning or purpose attached. This notion should not make us feel disturbed, but awe stricken in the realization that we are participants in the greatest of artistic endeavors, which is evolving existence, continually made manifest before our eyes. So, is it not a practice of insanity to derive meaning and purpose from an evolving work of art!? Why do we question beauty delivered in the hand of the absurd? Perhaps because we don’t see the beauty in our narrow view of the universe, we are like the novice who tries to decipher the work of Van Gogh, Pollock or Dali. We see pain, suffering, chaos and horror as things in which need a remedy, and perhaps a remedy is part of the divine manifesto, which galvanize these impetus’s, thereby producing beautiful byproducts; such as empathy, benevolence and altruism. Through these examples we see the creative process at work even through our most loathsome experiences. However, this does little to ease our minds in regards to a loving and divine over seer, one who is supposed to be out for our best interests, and what of ethics and moral responsibility? Is the divine artist immune to moral and ethical scrutiny? I propose that the divine artist cannot be subjected to ethical and moral scrutiny, because from the artist the very creation of the ethical was originated; thereby nullifying its restraints over the creator. The artist can not be restrained by the very work he creates. Once again I will stress that unfettered autonomy can not be overstated. Everything that is, is, because of the autonomy the artist retains, including the most undesirable aspects from the human perspective, all of which resides under the ultimate creative jurisdiction of deity.

Now that we are aware of the imperative, which is autonomy for the artist, should we abolish art altogether; thereby thwarting the dangers and discomfort it can produce? Or, do we embrace the latitude of creativity and succumb to the absurd, venerating the artist, who resides in autonomous divine mastery? This writer is compelled to the latter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,545 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:46 pm
@truther75,
AN EMPTY EXERCISE OF RHETORIC TOP TO BOTTOM...TRASH FROM TRASH DEALERS !
truther75

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
wow could you be any less profound?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:16 pm
@truther75,
From that kind of "profoundness" I want to keep my distance...

Infinity is just the endless repetitiveness of finity and thus bound by the same rules of that which is limited...Infinity is consequently the limited continuum of pattern repeat...how else could you conceive of Being ? Without rules ? Rules are essence !
...only nothingness is unbound in its non-existence...
truther75

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Im not sure what "rules" your talking about in regards to this writing.

The mention of the annihilation of "time" is in the discourse. If there is no end "time" then there need be no end purpose. Because anything that is in the infinite is infinitely evolving.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:31 pm
@truther75,
Purpose flows from something not from nothingness...like in a circle it can be reconverted without faulting that which confines it...Being !
fresco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:46 pm
@truther75,
Quote:
writhing into the void

This is the only salient point you make. "Deities" are fabricated "void closers". Ironically, Phil also wants to close the void by the suggestion of other fabricated devices.
truther75

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:20 pm
@fresco,
Im not sure how you are interpreting the phrase "writhing into the void"

The "void" is our ignorance. I don't think this writer is trying to close the void, rather approach it from another angle in order to attain some wisdom.

Isn't that the function of good philosophy? Not to give an absolute answer but perhaps to reveal fragments of truth.

It is silly to argue over the "fabrication" of a deity when the very title tells you that we are talking about a deity, " Divine Artistry...." So if you don't like the premise laid on ideas of a deity than why bother reading the discourse.

Please don't make this an "atheist vrs theist" debate. That is NOT the nature of this discourse. Im sure there are plenty of other forums for you to bash deists on.

truther75

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
What is the purpose of purpose?
kuvasz

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:56 pm
@truther75,
If you want divine artistry I suggest that you break up the paragraphs to readable parts. Even to yourself it should be obvious that reading words from a flat piece of paper is unlike reading the same content from a computer screen.

btw: I suggest the following from Vonnegut. Its easier to read, just as thoughtful, and much funnier in reaching the same point.

Quote:
From the First Book of Bokonon

Verse 1: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies.

Verses 2-4 : In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away.

Verse 5: Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:26 pm
@truther75,
Completness!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:32 pm
@fresco,
Fabricated...an interesting pretentious word don´t you think ?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:38 pm
@truther75,
Let me just clarify straight away that my conception of "God" is very much in the line of Spinoza and Einstein, probably an entirely different game from your´s...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:46 pm
@truther75,
Quote:
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. Macbeth

Humans, with their affliction of the urge to predict and control, shun the idea of a chaotic or meaningless existence. They crave the womb-like security of the big controller in the sky who can "move in Mysterious Ways" (aka "the Creative Artist"), but can also "grant a glimpse of some of His Ways to his Creation Man" (aka the God of Spinoza) .

This "control fixation" has manifested itself throughout the centuries in various guises...the banning of "infinity" by the Greeks...the religious entry requirements for the "afterlife"...the perception of the night sky as a flattened dome.....Einstein's rejection of QM ....etc. We are loath to remove the ancient fabricated mask (Greek persona) from in front of our actor's faces, lest we expose ourselves to the fathomless void.

Shakespeare said it all !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:38 am
@fresco,
No Fresco, not that...
...you infinitely divide, and I infinitely unify.
My "God" is pantheistic, is the entire World...all forms, all sayings, all that can be thought of...all the time, all the space, all energy and matter, every line of code...if we have a glimpse we do it because we are part of it...

As for the existential absurd condition of Man, well...most of my Portuguese poetry its there, so I have some authority since I play both sides of the fence...I guess you would love the book of disquiet from Fernando Pessoa...buy it, and them thank me later, or in turn I will buy it back to you, OK ?

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
truther75

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:28 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
"completeness"

How can something ever be "complete" if it is infinitely evolving?
George

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:32 pm
@truther75,
truther75 wrote:

"completeness"

How can something ever be "complete" if it is infinitely evolving?

How can something ever be anything but complete if it is a thing at all?
truther75

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:35 pm
@kuvasz,

Divine Artistry and the Beauty of the Absurd gives an in depth analysis of art and what an artist is "responsible" for, including meaning, purpose and ethics. It then draws a comparison to an all powerful creator.

This dribble from Vonneget sounds like something out of the Peanuts comic in the sunday paper.

To each his/her own i guess.

truther75

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:37 pm
@George,
Because it's infinitely evolving. It never reaches an end.

Like this ridiculous spin conversation that we are doing Smile
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 01:44 pm
@truther75,
it is not evolving indefinitely...its circularly pattern repeating itself...therefore its complete. It must be !

In turn I wish to learn from you how is it that something not complete in any sense, thus not contained or justified in any way can have any rule whatever rule you wish it to be to work in any direction at all ??? What is it to evolve ?