The Rent Is Too Damn High!!

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:08 pm
I just saw that McWilliams, who is running in New York on the The Rent is too Damn High party platform, now has his own action figure doll. I saw him interviewed the other day and the newscaster asked him what he pays in rent. McWilliams responded "It isn't about me, it's about the people." I thought that was obvious and wondered why the news person kept pushing the issue, but anyways it got me to thinking...

The legal system and insurance industry have tables to determine what is too high for all sorts of things ranging from a broken back on the job to life based on age.

Remember when GW Bush overturned the arsenic level requirements for drinking water that Clinton had put in place based on what health experts recommended and what WHO and the EU had already mandated? The claim was that it was too expensive to do and enforce, so Bush did away with it and left it at 1950's levels. In other words, "The Rent is too Damn High!"

The cost of an estimated $3 per person per month for 90% of Americans living in high arsenic areas was considered too damn high? So what is the price of a life? Additional health care?

That's just one example, and I'm not just asking for political high rents. It can be anything for which you find there is not a balance of value and cost.

Based on your values, interests, experiences etc. for what things do you find "The Rent is too Damn High?"

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,031 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:11 pm
@squinney,
i'd love to see McWilliams kick Cuomo's ass

i'd also like to see him win the election
squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:30 pm
@djjd62,
I don't know enough about his platform or experience to judge, but I assume from the polls that most New Yorkers are deciding that putting him in office would be too big of a cost for them and the state. In other words... The Rent is too Damn High!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:58 pm
@squinney,
The reason the newscaster kept pushing him about his rent is because he probably saw the article in the New York Times where Mr. McMillan said he doesn't pay any rent LOL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/nyregion/20rent.html?_r=1&ref=politics
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:59 pm
I think everyone knows that I believe the rent is too damn high on elementary school homework.
Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:02 pm
In NYC, da Big Apple, Gotham the rent is too damned high!!

I've got a rent stabilized apartment. (People would sell their first born for one of these.) I pay about half what other people pay for this apartment on another floor. And my rent is still too high!!

(Note: This mostly relates to Manhattan. There are parts of other boroughs where the rent is too high too.)

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@boomerang,
Yep! I hear ya, Boomer. The cost of the child AND parents sanity is way too high of a price to pay when compared to benefits of excessive homework.

Roberta - I never understood the rent control thing in NYC. I'm sure you are glad you have it even if it is still too damn high!

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:48 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Yep! I hear ya, Boomer. The cost of the child AND parents sanity is way too high of a price to pay when compared to benefits of excessive homework.

Roberta - I never understood the rent control thing in NYC. I'm sure you are glad you have it even if it is still too damn high!

Not gonna bore you with boring details, Squinney. But there's rent control (low rent that is hard to increase), rent stabilization (rent that can be raised a monthly amount based on a percentage prescribed by law), and rent destabilization (whatever the market will bear).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:10 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'd love to see McWilliams kick Cuomo's ass

i'd also like to see him win the election

Sure... That will help the rents... Which will always rise to what the market will bear...
djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:29 am
@Fido,
anytime someone beats up a trust fund kid it's hilarious

and i think politics needs some legitimate lunatics to shake up the game a bit
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:20 am
I don't do diamonds because of the way they are mined. For those I definitely think The Rent is too Damn High!
0 Replies