How long does it take you to brush your teeth?

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:37 pm
Just wondering. I saw a friend of mine doing his brushing routine this weekend, and I was amazed at how thorough and how long his brushing regimen was. I take about a minute and a half to brush, maybe two minutes at most, but this guy took like ten minutes! Is that normal? Am I the crazy one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 5,632 • Replies: 31
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:09 pm
@kickycan,
Well, quick brushing and insanity are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Does this guy have, like, extra teeth or somethin'?
Linkat

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:22 pm
@kickycan,
Are you asking just for brushing? Or flossing and rinse as well.

I'd say 3 minutes is normal for a thoroughly brushed mouth. Then a few minutes for flossing and a minute for a rinse. So 5 minutes or so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:26 pm
@kickycan,
So I looked it up on WebMD - seems for brushing I am right and I follow some of what is written here:

Brushing should last at least two minutes, Sesemann tells WebMD. Three minutes is even better, Price says.

Most people fall short of both time lines, Sesemann says. "It's an arbitrary number, but it's just so people take the time to clean all the surfaces." He often recommends people divide the mouth into quadrants and spend 30 seconds a quadrant. Some toothbrushes include built-in timers.

To make the two minutes go faster, Sesemann says he ''multitasks,'' fitting in a little TV viewing as he brushes.

Believe it or not I do the dividing thing - but a bit different - I do one side inside/then outside and then the other side; then the same thing on top and bottom. Sometimes I even count to make sure I brush each section at least 10 times.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:30 pm
And flossing should be a bit longer.

Effective flossing does take a while -- once a day for a “good three to five minutes” according to Low. But even 60 seconds of flossing is of enormous benefit.

So if this friend is flossing and using a rinse - I'd add close to 10 minutes.

Have you been to the dentist recently? Maybe you need to floss more.
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:11 pm
I'm talking just brushing here. I knew I was closer to normal than he is. I knew it! He's nuts with the ten minute brushing routine! I think if you brush that much, your enamel has got to start getting worn off.
CalamityJane

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:14 pm
@kickycan,
Some people have more plague than others, or he's on his 3rd set of teeth.
Ask you friend, Kicky! Inquiring minds want to know...
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:16 pm
@kickycan,
You are correct - brushing too much is bad for your teeth. It stated that as well on WebMD. It can cause your gums to receed and exposure to the roots. You should not brush too hard or too often (more than 3 times a day).

So yes your friend is a nut and you are more normal than him at least on this one particular item.

My question - are you man enough to let him know he is ruining his teeth?
kickycan

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:31 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, I will definitely let him know. In fact, I plan to make fun of him constantly for his freakish teeth-brushing behavior.
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You are correct - brushing too much is bad for your teeth. It stated that as well on WebMD. It can cause your gums to receed and exposure to the roots. You should not brush too hard or too often (more than 3 times a day)

Hey, do you have the link where you found this out? I want to show my psycho friend.
chai2

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:13 pm
Do you brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth?

I always do.

Sometimes I gently brush the insides of my cheecks as well.

mmmm...talk about clean!
ltm0807

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:27 pm
mmmm.........
about 2 minutes
I hate brush my teeth although I know that it is very important
0 Replies

Irishk

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:34 pm
As long as the SonicCare takes (I think it's around 2 minutes). When it stops, I'm done. Except for rinsing, of course. Wow. Ten minutes? Three times a day? Maybe he's got a touch of OCD?
0 Replies

Fido

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:50 pm
@kickycan,
I am expecting the job, with hope, to last my entire life... The job isn't over until you're done...
0 Replies

kickycan

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:07 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Do you brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth?

I always do.

Sometimes I gently brush the insides of my cheecks as well.

mmmm...talk about clean!

I can't do that. Anytime I try to brush my tongue it makes me gag.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:32 am
I have an electric toothbrush - an Oral-B - and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. It has a 2-minute timer on it, and actually gives a little buzz every 30 seconds, so you can move on to the next quadrant of the mouth.

My dentist calls my toothbrush a 'business killer.' Which is what I like to hear.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I've got one of those Oral-B's with the buzzer as well. Very helpful.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:09 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I can't do that. Anytime I try to brush my tongue it makes me gag.

Here's a tip.

When you stick you tongue out to brush, make as big of an open mouthed smile as you can.

That very much helps suppress the gag reflex.

I learned that from watching a CSI show, when one of the team was confronted with a ripe corpse.

"What are you smiling at?"

"I'm not, it's suppressing my gag reflex"

Smiling big right now, it seems that it closes off the throat.

Try it, it works.

Linkat

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:16 am
@kickycan,
Here you go -

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/brushing-teeth-mistakes

And I must say what a nice friend you are saving the psycho from tooth loose.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:18 am
@kickycan,
I can't brush the roof of my mouth - it tickles. The tongue, yes - but I can't go to far or I will gag - also I often gag when I floss toward the back of my teeth - but I still do that.

My doctor once told me there are only 3 things that will guarantee to extend your life (other things may - but no guarantee): don't smoke; wear your seatbelt; and floss.
0 Replies