Things I'm Sick Of.

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:16 am
Political campaigns - any kind, any country.

Long strings of television commercials that break up a show for so long they have to repeat a few seconds of the show to remind you where they left off. I went without TV for a decade and I think 8 minutes straight of commercial time is fairly new.

People who try to tell me important things from cell phones that are crap, and they are all crap.

The word "natural" - it's meaningless. Cheerios and cholera are both "natural".

People who don't believe in Darwinism insisting that America have a social system that functions like it.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:23 am
@Green Witch,
I'm sick of TV, and I don't even watch any of the shows that are currently on.

My husband records all these Law & Orders, NCIS, & House etc.shows, so I watch an evening of that with him maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. That's all my interest will allow. Those are about 99% of what he watches. The best present I ever gave him was headphones to he can watch, and I don't have to listen. When I do watch with him I thank God we can fast forward past the commercials. Just even seeing the glimpses of them with no sound get boring. I don't know how anyone could actually sit through and watch them.
But, even with never have seen any of them, I'm aware of all these "Cleaning Your Bathtub With the Stars", "Sub-saharan Idol", "Slightly Perturbed Housewives of Salt Lake City" shows
I'm made aware that there are these shows like Glee and Mad Men (don't know what either are about) that are popular.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:49 am
I totally get what you are saying. I have never paid a cable TV fee because I could never find anything worth being billed for. Even now I mostly watch on-line with tolerable commercial interruptions. I only have TV now because we discovered we could get it for free when we cabled it into our computer router.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:09 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

...People who don't believe in Darwinism insisting that America have a social system that functions like it.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Oh, man! That one drives me nuts! I've not seen it put so succinctly. You nailed it.

I'm also sick of female tea party candidates telling their male opponents to "man-up" or 'put your man pants on."

Really? What if the male opponent said "Sharon, stop being so emotional. You're letting your hormones affect your judgement."

Reyn

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:17 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Long strings of television commercials that break up a show for so long ...

In particular, advertisers that run their commercials twice in a row!!! Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:20 am
@squinney,
Thanks, I mentioned this the other day and my husband said we should turn it into a bumper sticker. Maybe I will - or at least a T-shirt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:22 am
@squinney,
Since my activity is more limited these days, I find so little TV is interesting to me. My favorite TV show is Fareed Zakari GPS on Sundays.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:38 am
@squinney,
that "man up" thing is really quite a puzzlement to me. I have no idea what it could mean. (seriously)
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
@chai2,
Quote:
The best present I ever gave him was headphones to he can watch, and I don't have to listen.

Please, please, please tell me about these headphones! Are they wireless or wired? How close to the TV do you need to be?

I soooo want to get a headphone set for BBB so I don't have to close my bedroom door in able to get some relief from the loud volume of her TV. I've been looking at some on Amazon but they all seem to have bad reviews or if they are wired, have a very short wire that requires you sit on top of the TV to use them.

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Quote:
The best present I ever gave him was headphones to he can watch, and I don't have to listen.

Please, please, please tell me about these headphones! Are they wireless or wired? How close to the TV do you need to be?

I soooo want to get a headphone set for BBB so I don't have to close my bedroom door in able to get some relief from the loud volume of her TV. I've been looking at some on Amazon but they all seem to have bad reviews or if they are wired, have a very short wire that requires you sit on top of the TV to use them.

I feel your pain. Getting these have really improved our relationship. No more "PLEASE turn that down" and "Now I can't hear anything" Both of us get what we need.

I think these are the ones we have...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41C97FZ0K0L._AA300_.jpg

There are on Amazon when I did a "wireless headphone" search. They have 4 stars, and cost only $40ish dollars. Worth every penny.

There's a new model that costs more, these were on sale, I guess because they are an older model.

You can be very far from the TV. He'll actually go outside and sit on the front porch, listening to sirus music from the TV. Doors and windows all closed. He gets up, goes into the kitchen, to the back of the house, no problems.

Save your sanity and check these out.
When I go home, I'll check to see if this is the same one.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:22 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

that "man up" thing is really quite a puzzlement to me. I have no idea what it could mean. (seriously)
My horse trainer told me I had to "man up" when I first started riding Big Mac. I took that to mean I needed to get over my fear and just do it.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:50 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

My horse trainer told me I had to "man up" when I first started riding Big Mac. I took that to mean I needed to get over my fear and just do it.
well that explains my confusion, while I've owned a number of horses, I've never had a trainer. Could I wear "man pants" if I would have had a horse trainer?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:52 am
@chai2,
Yeah, those are some of the ones I looked at. 4 stars, with a total of 244 reviews, 50 of which are only 1 or 2 star reviews. The negative reviews all complain of defects and hissing noises in the headphones.
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm going to use one of those as a tag in my signature line.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm
@dyslexia,
Chris Mathews said he didn't understand it, either. I thought he was being coy or PC or something. It seems clear to me that it is an attack on their manhood, telling them to grow some balls in what they (wrongly) perceive to be a more acceptable way.

Unfortunately, they keep repeating it because it gets applause. They feel empowered by denigrating a mans manliness. I find this absolutely unacceptable given that at the same time the pundits are discussing how the men have to be careful in their attacks of female opponents for fear of a backlash by voters finding that it was inappropriate to attack a woman.

Geesh! In 2010 are we equal or not? If not, get out of the race and let the men run things. Rolling Eyes

I was a horse trainer. The wording should be "Cowboy up!" It means to hang tough, get back on. Not the same as Man Up. Had a cowboy told me to man up, I'd of corrected him. Most cowboys don't want their cowgirls to 'have some balls.'
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Re the hissing.

It seems when I read complaints on amazon about a product that overall seems pretty good, at least half of them are nit picky, or not even a problem at all.

We haven't noticed hissing, then again, we are not conosurs.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:31 pm
oh wait...

I am sick of people who are all nit picky when writing reviews on amazon.
squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:45 pm
I'm sick of hurtful people in general, but especially hurtful people that claim to be Christians.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/27/clint-mccance-anti-gay-facebook_n_774656.html

Quote:
n Arkansas School Board member recently launched an inflammatory anti-gay tirade on Facebook that ran the gamut from basic bigoted slurs, to encouraging "fags" to commit suicide and announcing that he'd disown his own children if they were gay.

In response to a a massively popular Facebook initiative to show support for gay youths in response to a recent wave of suicides, Clint McCance, a board member in the Midland school district in northern Arkansas, wrote this screed, provided to the Advocate:

"Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."
The reaction to the post was both positive and negative, the Advocate reports. McCance responded to one detractor, saying:

"No because being a fag doesn't give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then dont tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that **** to yourself. I dont care how people decide to live their lives. They dont bother me if they keep it to thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die. If you arent against it, you might as well be for it."...

There's more if you go to the link.

While I'm sick of their viewpoint, I like that they broadcast it so that I know not to move to Arkansas.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:50 pm
@chai2,
Just ordered it. Hopefully it will solve a few problems around here if it gets used.
roger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:27 pm
@chai2,
Oh, no kidding. I saw one in regard to learning software. First complaint - not enough detail. Second - after lesson four, the learning curve went vertical!

1. Forums
  2. » Things I'm Sick Of.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:46:20