Things I'm Sick Of.

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:47 pm
@squinney,
If you haven't already seen it, you'd love Steven Colbert's take on that man up stuff. Here's a link to the video:

http://tonightsforecastdark.blogspot.com/2010/10/colbert-report-word-man-up.html

And (for Soz, David and others) here's the jist of what he said:

He points out how anti-feminist the notion of women like Sarah Palin and Christine O’Donnell calling on politicians to “man up” is.
“Yeah, guys, man up! Stop acting like weak, spineless, unfit-for-leadership whatever-the-opposite-of-a-man-is,” he said, pointing out the irony of this new tactic.

“Let’s be clear about what these ladies mean,” he continued. “There’s only one part of an American man that goes up – the penis part. Size matters. These lady politicians are basically saying it’s time our democracy ditched the ballot box in favor of the measuring stick, and I agree. Vote for whichever candidate has a rock-hard, seam-splitting man-lance; a steel-trussed, load-bearing Dong Quixote the length of a champion summer squash, the girth of a Costco can of chickpeas and an iron core so dense it throws off compasses!”

“And failing that,” he summarized, “we should just elect candidates with giant balls, like these women who have the huevos to suggest that what leadership actually requires is ‘manning up.’”
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh, no kidding. I saw one in regard to learning software. First complaint - not enough detail. Second - after lesson four, the learning curve went vertical!

ok, here's a stupid review for someone who gave 2 stars to this yogurt maker...

I am surprised by all the positive comments. I found this product to be a complete waste of money. Basically, here's what it does: you heat up milk to near-boiling, then let it sit in this "yogurt-maker" (which really does nothing--doesn't move or shake or anything) for 8-12 horus (depending on the milk you use) to basically let it spoil, then you re-cool your spolied milk in the fridge for four hours and voila! you have "yogurt." I found the finished product to be disgusting--tasted exactly like the plain yogurt I had to put in as my "base." If I want to eat disgusting plain yogurt, I will go to the store and buy a tub, not spend money on this contraption. Granted, I only made one batch, so it is possible I did something wrong, but I followed the directions to a T and that was what I came out with. *shudders* Blech.

Hey genius, you just figured out yogurt is some sort of milk that's heated and left to culture for hours?
You thought it was going to taste like what? NOT yogurt?

Wow Marge, how'd you get your strawberry yogurt to taste like strawberrys?

roger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:23 pm
@chai2,
Them sorry bitches! That crap tasted just like yogurt!

You know, Amazon does let you rate the reviews, right? They even let you comment on specific reviews. Sort of a "threaded forum" if I understand the comment.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 07:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Them sorry bitches! That crap tasted just like yogurt!

I was 40 something before I ever had a corn dog. I bought one when we were at a fair or something, and I'm walking around, nibbling ever so often, waiting for it cool down.

I'm finally able to take a bigger bite, and ... "BLEECH!!! THIS THING HAS A HOT DOG IN IT!!!"

Wally just looked at me. He wasn't able to find the right words to tell me how stupid I was.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:19 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
Chris Mathews said he didn't understand it, either. I thought he was being coy or PC or something. It seems clear to me that it is an attack on their manhood, telling them to grow some balls in what they (wrongly) perceive to be a more acceptable way.

I think they are copying Arnold Schwarzeneggers spiel of ridiculing his opponents as "girlie men". If Wikipedia has it right, the term originated in some Saturday-Night-Life sketch parodizing bodybuilders in general and Schwarzenegger in particular. Schwarzenegger decided to own the term, ran with it, and did well for himself politically. It makes perfect sense to me that tea party candidates would copy the idea to enhance their maverick cred.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:24 pm
"De-manning man up"

http://www5.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/09/political_correctness

football seems to be stage two of the development of man up
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Political campaigns - any kind, any country.

Long strings of television commercials that break up a show for so long they have to repeat a few seconds of the show to remind you where they left off. I went without TV for a decade and I think 8 minutes straight of commercial time is fairly new.

People who try to tell me important things from cell phones that are crap, and they are all crap.

The word "natural" - it's meaningless. Cheerios and cholera are both "natural".

People who don't believe in Darwinism insisting that America have a social system that functions like it.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

The word natural is not meaningless, but it is misunderstood and robbed of meaning... Look at all our meaningful words: like love, or patriotism.... What one holds meaningful another will turn to cash, and trade on it, because what has meaning has value... Value is meaning...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:05 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

that "man up" thing is really quite a puzzlement to me. I have no idea what it could mean. (seriously)

To hear "man up" from a scumbag like Palin who never had to work for a living, who would throw her own children on the altar of political ambition is the biggest insult the right has ever had to suffer... They all want to have the state do their dirty work, and none of them want to pay taxes for the privilage... They are so many spoiled brats who can never figure out how the light switch or plumbing works, and never figure out who has to pay for their fun...They shouldn't man up, as if Palin could show them how; but the should do the country a favor, and drop dead...
firefly

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:55 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, I bought those same headphones for my mom to use at night after she removes her hearing aids. They are very good. I've tried them and I was never particularly aware of any hissing. If I had any complaint, it would be that they are somewhat large and bulky, but they are reasonably comfortable despite that. You can even have the TV sound completely on mute while you use these headphones. Hope your mother will like them, and use them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:31 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
that "man up" thing is really quite a puzzlement to me. I have no idea what it could mean. (seriously)
I believe that it is an exhortation to greater personal strength and courage, Bob.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:34 am
@dyslexia,
Arella Mae wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

My horse trainer told me I had to "man up" when I first started riding Big Mac. I took that to mean I needed to get over my fear and just do it.
dyslexia wrote:
well that explains my confusion, while I've owned a number of horses, I've never had a trainer.
Could I wear "man pants" if I would have had a horse trainer?
Yes; from what I understand, thay don 't interfere in your selection of wardrobe.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:14 am
@Fido,
dyslexia wrote:
Fido wrote:
To hear "man up" from a scumbag like Palin who never had to work for a living,
People who are financially in good stead are not bags of scum, Fido.
Thay are the objects of your jealousy,
and better than u, in your judgment.

Fido wrote:
who would throw her own children on the altar of political ambition
is the biggest insult the right has ever had to suffer...
I am on the right, having voted for both Goldwater and Reagan; I am not insulted.
I will be the judge of when I am insulted.

The biggest insult was Reagan 's choice of Bush.
The Bushes were not conservatives.

Fido wrote:
They all want to have the state do their dirty work,
Yes; the damned thing is the contemptible slave of our CREATION;
we represent the views of the Founders of the Republic, as set forth in the Supreme Law of the Land.
We created it to SERVE us.
We on the right defend the views of the Founders as set forth in the Constitution
against the sick liberal efforts at distortion to the left.
We continue the Founders' fight for Individual Freedom.

WE bear true faith to the libertarianism of the Constitution; u don 't.
You are not Fido. You are an imposter, a fake.

Fido wrote:
and none of them want to pay taxes for the privilage...
Economy is good; Ben Franklin advocated economy.
This woud not be an issue, if all government were funded from sales taxes, wherein everyone pays the same.

Fido wrote:
They are so many spoiled brats who can never figure out how the light switch or plumbing works,
and never figure out who has to pay for their fun...
Here u appear to be lost in your leftist hysteria and delusions, beyond the reach of reason.
Will u ever return?
We dunno.

Fido wrote:
They shouldn't man up, as if Palin could show them how;
but the should do the country a favor, and drop dead...
I demand that u do the country a favor and jam your head down into the bottom of your toilet
and KEEP IT down there, until I give u permission to rise.

David
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
@dyslexia,
LOL at man pants! How long has it been since you've had horses? Did you break them yourself?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:53 am
@Arella Mae,
well, sometimes I broke them, sometimes they broke me, but all of them kept me broke.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:55 am
@dyslexia,
LOL I hear that!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:27 am
Ya know what else I'm sick of?

Instructions written in .5 font on a 2" X 3" pamphlet of 4 foot long folded paper that is so thin you can see the 12 other languages through it, inhibiting the reading of the instructions in the language I need.

(Okay, maybe .5 is an exaggeration for the font size, but not by much.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 11:35 am
@Butrflynet,
"Stop acting like weak, spineless, unfit-for-leadership whatever-the-opposite-of-a-man-is,"

I love Colbert.

Thanks for the summary!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

dyslexia wrote:
Fido wrote:
To hear "man up" from a scumbag like Palin who never had to work for a living,
People who are financially in good stead are not bags of scum, Fido.
Thay are the objects of your jealousy,
and better than u, in your judgment.

Fido wrote:
who would throw her own children on the altar of political ambition
is the biggest insult the right has ever had to suffer...
I am on the right, having voted for both Goldwater and Reagan; I am not insulted.
I will be the judge of when I am insulted.

The biggest insult was Reagan 's choice of Bush.
The Bushes were not conservatives.

Fido wrote:
They all want to have the state do their dirty work,
Yes; the damned thing is the contemptible slave of our CREATION;
we represent the views of the Founders of the Republic, as set forth in the Supreme Law of the Land.
We created it to SERVE us.
We on the right defend the views of the Founders as set forth in the Constitution
against the sick liberal efforts at distortion to the left.
We continue the Founders' fight for Individual Freedom.

WE bear true faith to the libertarianism of the Constitution; u don 't.
You are not Fido. You are an imposter, a fake.

Fido wrote:
and none of them want to pay taxes for the privilage...
Economy is good; Ben Franklin advocated economy.
This woud not be an issue, if all government were funded from sales taxes, wherein everyone pays the same.

Fido wrote:
They are so many spoiled brats who can never figure out how the light switch or plumbing works,
and never figure out who has to pay for their fun...
Here u appear to be lost in your leftist hysteria and delusions, beyond the reach of reason.
Will u ever return?
We dunno.

Fido wrote:
They shouldn't man up, as if Palin could show them how;
but the should do the country a favor, and drop dead...
I demand that u do the country a favor and jam your head down into the bottom of your toilet
and KEEP IT down there, until I give u permission to rise.

David
Sorry Davey... I is already risen...No one had to tell me to man up, but courage is certainly rare on the right... They want everyone else to pay their taxes, and fight their wars, and they don't want anyone to think freely, and want everyone to be as frightened of their future as they justly are, by killing social security... They need things explained to them, and I understand that; but as long as they have their guns and their propensity for violence no one is going to tell them anything they don't want to hear...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
I'm sick of my phone ringing every 3 minutes because of a political robo-call - sometimes live, sometimes recorded.

It begins every evening around 5:00 and continues until about 9:00. We had a power failure yesterday and the only hardwired traditional phone is in the basement. All of our portable phones were silent but the basement phone rang constantly. Not wanting to run downstairs in my "boot" to answer the phone I let it ring... and ring... and ring... ALL EVENING!

Tonight's edition of ringy-dingy started about 30 mins ago -- right on schedule. I've had 6 calls since 5:00, including 3 in the past five minutes.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:00 pm
@JPB,
Take the phone off the hook.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:33:06