Things I'm Sick Of.

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:51 pm
@chai2,
I've got a message on my machine that I haven't cleared. So long as the power stays on, the phone only rings twice now. Someone who really wants to get in touch with me can leave a message. The rest of them hang up (or let their tapes play into my machine - grrrrrrr).

My neighbor says she tells that all that she's a strong supporter so they'll leave her alone.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:01 pm
@JPB,
I tell them I already voted so no matter who they are or what they have to say, it won't change the vote I already cast.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@chai2,
As a general note, I hate phones.

I am very well known for unplugging my phone, if I feel that it has rang too many times for whatever reason....I'll just pop the cord out. My family hates this, always has, and I've been chewed out many times because of doing so...."what if there was an emergency...etc.." I am perfectly content to leave the phone unplugged at all times, plug it in when I need to make a call, then unplug it again....and have done so quite often. I don't do it anymore, because we finally got rid of our land line....we all have cell phones and there is just no need for one.

It only took me seven years to convince my wife of that fact, if she had listened to me seven years ago, I might have got some peace for a few years....but now it's the damn text messaging bs that I have to deal with. Just get started in a conversation with my wife and "beep beep boop"....or the buzz of it vibrating on the table.....and it's always something really important, like her friend just tripped over a lawnchair, or her friend fell down the stairs, or she wrecked the lawnmower again.....yeah she's a clutzy bitch....I'll be glad when this texting fad dies....if it doesn't happen soon, I'm gonna rig up a EMP device that kills all cell phones within 30 ft of me....I might start on that tonight.

Today a guy had something that was not a phone, handheld, looked like a organizer....whatever it was, it had enough memory to hold a few songs and a bunch of ringtones....all totally fuckin annoying...sirens, dogs barking, dogs squealing, a few techno trance tunes.....and some of those comdey mp3 bits that everyone seems to have.....Santa Claus cussing everybody out....etc...and of course he wanted me to hear every one of them, as does every other person that is facinated with this new technology...the ability to annoy me at will with just the push of a button.

I always want to say to these folks, yeah I remember when I got my first walkman, it was pretty cool, and actually I thought it kinda made me a little cool too, the ability to listen to music anytime I wanted...in private...in 19 M'Fn 83....and I didn't go around all day trying to put my headphones on every person I met, so they could hear Hall and Oates singing Private Eyes, even though it was a damn fine song.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:46 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Today a guy had something that was not a phone, handheld, looked like a organizer....whatever it was, it had enough memory to hold a few songs and a bunch of ringtones....all totally fuckin annoying...sirens, dogs barking, dogs squealing, a few techno trance tunes.....

I know somebody with one of those. He pulled it out in a restaurant to calculate exactly how many dollars and pennies a 15% tip worked out to. He's got a talking gps in the truck, too. I've seen him use it to navigate to the same restaurant three times. He missed the same turn each time; each time it told him he missed the turn and how many tenth of a mile he needed to go after a u-turn in heavy traffic. Kind of a substitute brain, ya know?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:53 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
I am very well known for unplugging my phone
By having a very similar attitude to me, I can tell you are very intelligent and handsome. I get really pissed off when someone asks me my mobile number and I tell them I dont have one so they look at me as though I have two heads. At home when I am trying to write I unplug the phone. If it is important, it can wait. If it isnt important, then it will solve itself before I get to it. Either way, I do not need phone calls 24hrs a day no matter where I am.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:12 am
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

I'll be glad when this texting fad dies....

Agreeing with everything you said 2packs, but this really got me.

Hadn't thought of it this way before, yeah, it's a fad.

Oh, not like when someone is being funny and says the internet is a fad. I seriously think this texting is something that will loose its charm and newness, and people will eventually cut down.

I think this will start when people start to realize they are sick and tired of being available every instant. That's not natural.

I was reading one of those yahoo items the other day, about cell phone, text ettiquette.
I had to laugh, because people are starting to get that their boss does not need to be texting them, and expect a response, at 10pm. The part I laughed at was when it stated that if your boss does text you on the weekend, you are not obligated to return the call or text until the next day.

Um. How about not getting back to him when you are back at work?

I know I've said this before, but my boss started this calling jag for awhile. She call me at night, or on the weekend. Back then, when we had a land line, we never answered our phone, and had no problem not picking up when we heard who was calling on the machine.

She'd call 10am on Saturday: Chai? Chai are you there? If you're there pick up. Chai? Ok, this is me, call me when you get in.

Saturday 2pm: Chai? Chai pick up. Chai? I called you a few hours ago and you haven't called me back. Chai? If you're there pick up.

Sunday 8pm: Chai? Chai are you home? If you're home pick up. Chai? I called you yesterday twice.

Monday she'd say to me "I called you three times. Why didn't you answer?"

Well, because before I learned my lesson and did pick up or call her back, the first thing out of her mouth would be "What are you doing?", and she'd really expect me to tell her what I was doing right then. Then, after saying , uh.....um....a few times, she'd ask me some dumbass question about something that totally could have waited until the work week.

After I learned that lesson, and she asked on Monday "Why didn't you answer?" I'd reply with "What did you want?" and she'd ask me the same dumbass question.

Eventually that stopped, and she doesn't have my cell number. She has my husbands, but doesn't call that.
Ionus

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:42 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I seriously think this texting is something that will loose its charm and newness, and people will eventually cut down.
Have people cut down on horseless carriages ? Teleo-phonic devices ? The Wireless ? Firearms ? Pharmaceuticals ? Flying machines ?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 07:48 am
@chai2,
I'm sick of phoning chai2 and her never picking up or returning my calls. Yeah sure, sometimes wally picks up but he just wants to meet somewhere for corn dogs and whine about how his meds give him cotton mouth and that he can't sleep all night without having to get up and pee 3 or 4 times. I'll probably give up calling chai2.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 08:16 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
I seriously think this texting is something that will loose its charm and newness, and people will eventually cut down.
Have people cut down on horseless carriages ? Teleo-phonic devices ? The Wireless ? Firearms ? Pharmaceuticals ? Flying machines ?

I believe we will cut down, because we'll realize sending vacuous texts 40 times a day saying "hi, how r you", or asking some little question that can wait until you see the person in 15 minutes or an hour will decrease.

As for GPS devices, how many new places do people go to all the time?

Once I've been somewhere, I remember how to get there. Do people no longer look out the windshield of their car and notice where they are going?

GPS devices have their uses, I have no doubt about that, but from what I can see, it's leading to some dumbing down of people.

Just like having apps to tell you what 15% or 20% is for a tip. Are we really at a point where we can't figure that out? I'll admit, when I was younger and first started paying at restuarants, I was a little slow on the 15% deal. That is until a friend said "just take 10% and add 1/2 again to that" Pretty much solved that mystery.
JPB

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 08:45 am
@chai2,
I think it's a generational thing. I've stopped leaving voice messages on my kids phones because they don't pick them up. They'll see a missed call and either call me or text me "wassup?" I'll say I left you a voice message, they'll say "Yeah, I know. What did you say?"
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:01 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I think it's a generational thing. I've stopped leaving voice messages on my kids phones because they don't pick them up. They'll see a missed call and either call me or text me "wassup?" I'll say I left you a voice message, they'll say "Yeah, I know. What did you say?"

Oh MAN! That would drive me crazy!!

I think of it this way. You did the work of leaving a messsage. They are (don't take this personal) "too lazy" to listen (which involves no effort). Instead they want YOU to do MORE work, to suit their laziness.

I would respond, "listen to the message and you'll know."

Then I would add "If I leave you a voice message, that means listen to it"

That's part of what I mean by "fad" Instead of being courteous and taking the message in the form it was presented, it's only a valid message nowadays if it's texted.

This reminds me of something I wrote in a job tips thread. I'll be calling an applicant, leaving a message, and my other line is ringing. It's the applicant calling back WHILE I'm still leaving a message. Grrrrr.....

This making more work for the wrong person reminds me of something else, which I'm sick of...

Actually, this has only happened to me 2 times, and I wouldn't let it ever happen again, but here goes.

Someone asks me to loan them a small amount, like $5, because they don't have their wallet with them.

Sure, no problem, I know I'll get it back the next day.

The next day the person comes to you, wanting to write a freaking CHECK to pay you back.

The first time this happened, I'll be honest, I really didn't get what they were doing. I remember saying "why are you giving me this check, what's this for?"
She said "this is to pay you back that $3 you loaned me last time I saw you (like 2 weeks before)"

I remember standing there, still not getting it, saying "um....oh....uh, ok"
I carried that check around with me for weeks, either forgetting about it when I was near or in my bank, not wanting to stop, make a special trip, etc.

Not that long ago, same thing. The next day this woman tried to give me a check for like 5 stinkin' bucks. I said "I don't want to have to go out of my way to go to the bank, wait in line, when I already did you the favor of loaning you money."

".....but....I don't have any cash"

"well, when you do, I'll be right here."
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:14 am
I'm really sick of calling people, or people calling me, and suddently the line is dead in the middle of a conversation. We take care our cell is working, doesn't run out of juice, why wouldn't everybody else? There is one person who says her fingers are so fat she pushes too many buttons at once. So, call me back and tell me it was an accident.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:55 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Ionus wrote:
Have people cut down on horseless carriages ? Teleo-phonic devices ? The Wireless ?
Firearms ? Pharmaceuticals ? Flying machines ?
Its easier to just call them n talk, like we always did (since Alex Graham Bell).

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
after updating my number on the no call list, we get very few nuisance calls, those that do get through, usually get to listen to whatever podcast i'm listening to, as i stick an earbud against the phone (i love when it's the Opie & Anthony show, lots of curse words and dick jokes, i sure it makes their day)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 12:12 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Political campaigns - any kind, any country.

Long strings of television commercials that break up a show for so long they have to repeat a few seconds of the show to remind you where they left off. I went without TV for a decade and I think 8 minutes straight of commercial time is fairly new.

People who try to tell me important things from cell phones that are crap, and they are all crap.

The word "natural" - it's meaningless. Cheerios and cholera are both "natural".

People who don't believe in Darwinism insisting that America have a social system that functions like it.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

1) People who assert that because they are not going to be re-elected, the American people are ignorant fools.

2) People who drive precisely the speed limit in the left lane and refuse to move to the middle lane

3) People who wail about the evils of Christian fundamentalists, but bend over backwards for their Islamic counterparts

4) Yellow mustard as the only option

5) Complainers who will never lift a finger to make things better

6) Tim McCarver

7) Paul Krugman

8) Downloaded songs that end before the actual recording

9) Filthy rich atheletes copping a union attitude

10) People who don't want to discuss politics
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Green Witch wrote:

Political campaigns - any kind, any country.

Long strings of television commercials that break up a show for so long they have to repeat a few seconds of the show to remind you where they left off. I went without TV for a decade and I think 8 minutes straight of commercial time is fairly new.

People who try to tell me important things from cell phones that are crap, and they are all crap.

The word "natural" - it's meaningless. Cheerios and cholera are both "natural".

People who don't believe in Darwinism insisting that America have a social system that functions like it.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
1) People who assert that because they are not going to be re-elected, the American people are ignorant fools.

2) People who drive precisely the speed limit in the left lane and refuse to move to the middle lane
FIND ABUZZ:
Do u claim to have a RIGHT to drive faster than the legal speed limit??

If the police were able to PREVENT
people from driving beyond the speed limit (e.g., by having a police car in the left lane at the speed limit),
do u believe that thay 'd be VIOLATING your rights to DO so ??

David
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm sick of one topic posters such as your predictable gun addiction.

BBB
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:46 am
@Butrflynet,
I buy from Amazon a lot. I always look at the reviews. If I see many negative reviews, citing similar problems, I won't buy the product. I do not take a just a few poor reviews seriously if there are many reviews, and the majority are positive.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:22 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I'm sick of one topic posters such as your predictable gun addiction.

BBB
I hope u get well;
maybe if u re-read the HELLER and the McDONALD cases a lot of times, thay will cheer u up !

David
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:47 am
I really enjoy my life back at home, much of it.

But I am sick of the spirit of collectivism that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. On the day to day level, it means that everyone has an opinion on your life choices, has suggestions for what you should do (i.e. get married, have children), and on the other hand people take on this helpless attitude and expect 'someone' will solve their problems. I see it on my students a lot. Can't put an application for grad school together without help, can't write a CV ("I'm too humble to 'brag' ")...but it's pervasive everywhere. Drives me bonkers! So often I want to yell : "Get a grip, people, take care of yourselves!"

I'm told I'm not "Slovak" (culturally) anymore. It is true. I've been americanized and for once, I'm glad of it.

Otherwise, though, I have to say I haven't regretted returning home for even a brief moment.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 04:26:00