Things I'm Sick Of.

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:45 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah, boys will be boys. At around age 13, they should be nailed inside barrels and fed through the bung hole till they're old enough to be out on their own.
It's your turn in the barrel....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Yeah, boys will be boys. At around age 13, they should be nailed inside barrels
and fed through the bung hole till they're old enough to be out on their own.
Geeeeeez, at least wash the tetanus germs off the nails first.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:15 am
1) So called eco friendly stuff that makes others believe that they are some what better than you. Prius and Smart car owners being a great example.

2) Mayo clinic.

3) Common "knowledge" about health and food. No, splenda is not a safe sugar alternative. REAL sugar is. Fruits are good for you and in high quantity. Veggies and fruits making up 80% of a diet IS the way to go when dealing with health issues.

4) modern medicine. The mentality that taking a pill will help.Thinking that pill will cure the issue while constantly ingesting chemicals in our foods, yet not thinking enough to examine what you are putting in your mouth. Accpeting the label that says " heart healthy" and thinking you are properly feeding your body

5) judgmental parents. People who look at a little child who is crying and shaking their head in some kind of arrogance as if a child should not experience any emotion.

6) pubic schools.

7) cookie cutter mentalities.

8) Politics

9) Gadget people. Gotta have that new phone, new computer, new camera, new what ever it is because the old just didnt do something that you all of a sudden can not live with out even though it was not an option only 2 months before.

10) Iphone arrogance..

11) Hand sanitizers, and the belief that we should be afraid of every germ, every surface, and bleach everything.

good god I could go on and on and on.
But i wont Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:06 am
Pubic schools bother me, too. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:09 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah, boys will be boys. At around age 13, they should be nailed inside barrels and fed through the bung hole till they're old enough to be out on their own.

That reminds me. My father used to say that from the age of 13 through at least 23, all boys should be sent to work camps far, far away from civilized society.

We have a 16 year old boy living under our roof, and we just received our first auto insurance bill since he began driving. The insurance company must agree with my father. Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
@saab,
Quote:
What is a rebate?
it is this bit of stupidy where there is a price and then a mail in process to get some of it back. Normally a form needs to be filled out and the sales recipt gets included. It takes anywhere from a week to three months to get the check in the mail, which you of course need to get to the bank to use.

I am sure that the Soviets must have dreamed this up.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 11:55 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
But rebates cost less. Some people don't use them, some are about to expire by the time you get them, and some seem to get lost in the mail.
And rebates are worth less to me...over the years I have been screwed out of hundreds of dollars of rebates...If I see a rebate of $100 I figure that I may or may not actually get it, so I dont think i am paying $100 less than register price. I think i am paying Reg price, and I MAY get $100 back.

And I've made at least a couple thousand dollars over a very few years with rebates.
Never had problems with them.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 12:49 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

And I've made at least a couple thousand dollars over a very few years with rebates.

No. You haven't made any money with rebates. They are just giving you back a little bit of the money they overcharged you.

There is no reason why they couldn't just make the product that much cheaper in the first place. I suppose as long they can trick enough people into thinking they are actually making money, they will keep doing it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is no reason why they couldn't just make the product that much cheaper in the first place. I suppose as long they can trick enough people into thinking they are actually making money, they will keep doing it.
is it that or are they trying to inflate their "sales" line on the accounting forms?? In any case it is a bit of subterfuge i dont need complicating my life for no reasonable purpose.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:40 pm
@saab,
A refund, essentially. You buy a product that claims to have a rebate coupon for $xx.00, and mail it to the manufacturer along with your cash register receipt if the coupon hasn't already expired. Hopefully, they eventually send you your $xx.00. Maybe.

My experience is much the same as hawkeye's. I would never buy a product based on the promised rebate. In the US, I understand that the Office Max chain of stores somehow acts as a middleman, and you have a pretty good chance of actually getting your money. I agree with hawkeye on this one, though. If they want to offer a better price, they should just lower the price at the register.
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

No. You haven't made any money with rebates. They are just giving you back a little bit of the money they overcharged you.

No, I have made that money.

A large reason company offer rebates is because they know that many more people will buy the product and either forget to send in the rebate, or do so incorrectly, and not qualify.

Since I ended up getting many of the items I purchased for free, as in "I ended up paying no money for this, nada, zilch, zippo" I obviously did not just not avoid overpaying.

There were quite a number of times I would actually end up getting more money in my pocket that what I paid out. Buying a $10 item with a $10 rebate, using a $2 coupon, including tax I'd get $10 item for free, and an extra $1.17 for my trouble.

I don't do rebates any more, because of several reason (1) the drug stores that used to offer monthly rebate books, many of which offered items that ended up being free, stopped doing so. (2) As far as the big ticket items I bought using a rebate, things I needed for my home; refriderator, dishwasher, etc. Well, I now have them. (3) Related to (1), now I make better money doing other things in my spare time that net me a very nice return. Once thing I've been doing since the middle of June has grossed me about $2500 so far, and that takes me about an hour a week.

Your next argument will be that you know it took up too much of my time. No, it took up about an hour a month, because I would sit down and do it all on one Sunday afternoon, normally sending out $60 - $100 dollars worth of rebates for that month. That would be about a grand a year. That's like making about $80/hr. Even if it was something I didn't use, I'd still get it if it was free, because I would donate it to a charity organization. If I don't have to go to the pharmacy to buy medication, personal products, because I've got a good supply already that I got for free, or better, that's money in my pocket.

Don't be so quick to say something doesn't work, just because you personally can't figure out how to do it correctly.
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

A refund, essentially. You buy a product that claims to have a rebate coupon for $xx.00, and mail it to the manufacturer along with your cash register receipt if the coupon hasn't already expired. Hopefully, they eventually send you your $xx.00. Maybe.

My experience is much the same as hawkeye's. I would never buy a product based on the promised rebate. In the US, I understand that the Office Max chain of stores somehow acts as a middleman, and you have a pretty good chance of actually getting your money. I agree with hawkeye on this one, though. If they want to offer a better price, they should just lower the price at the register.

From my personal experience (and yes, I kept records on all this, so I would know when I actually got the money I sent for), I received my correct rebate amount far in excess of 98% of the time. I would track when I sent it, when I received the check, and what it was for.

They don't call me the spreadsheet queen for nothin'. If that sounds like work, nah, you get one spreadsheet that works well, you can adapt to to a lot of uses.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:01 pm
Oh, wait....

I am sick of....

people who automatically tell you you don't know what you're doing, although you've actually done it/are doing it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
A large reason company offer rebates is because they know that many more people will buy the product and either forget to send in the rebate, or do so incorrectly, and not qualify.

for instance when I lost a $75 rebate because they said to cut the bar code out of the box and send it in, but because is was a very thick piece of cardboard I stripped the barcode containing outer layer off of the box and send that it. It was voided because I did not follow directions.

THAT was BS.
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

for instance when I lost a $75 rebate because they said to cut the bar code out of the box and send it in, but because is was a very thick piece of cardboard I stripped the barcode containing outer layer off of the box and send that it. It was voided because I did not follow directions.

It was BS.

You didn't follow directions, I can't help you with that.

I would have cut the bar code, thick cardboard or not, and gotten my 75 bucks.

I have yet to meet a piece of cardboard that can thwart me.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:10 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
You didn't follow directions, I can't help you with that.

or three years ago when I lost a $125 Hp rebate because you needed to go online and get the offer number that corresponds to the particular model number of computer, and it turns out that each offer also had its own PO box, and somehow I had the wrong combination of offer number written on the generic rebate form, barcode and PO box that I sent it to ...not sure what I did wrong, but it was rejected......and of course they dont send stuff back so that I could try again...GOOD BY money that I thought was coming to me!

That was BS
chai2

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
I notice a trend.

You call things BS when you can't follow directions correctly.

I really can't help it that you can't do that.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 03:31 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I notice a trend.

You call things BS when you can't follow directions correctly
I am sure that you are the sort who will stick your foot out and when a person trips over it tell them that it is their own fault for not watching where they are going Wink

Ya, I have a problem with companies who offer a rebate, and then do what ever they can not to pay the claims filed. I dont like it when insurance companies do pretty much the same thing and refuse claims either.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:11 pm
It´s all clear to me now!
You ask about a rebate and get a debate.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:22 pm
@saab,
Quote:
You ask about a rebate and get a debate.
when one asks about things others are sick of they are likely to get emotionally invested (passionate) responses...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:53:15