Falling Asleep With The TV On

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 09:04 pm
I keep falling asleep with the TV on and then about an hour later get woken up by the TV. This time South Park was on and I started having dreams with the South Park characters in it...very weird. To add to my distraught my mouth was very dry when I awoke because I changed toothpastes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,758 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:24 pm
@Chumly,
That happens to me all the time unless I use the sleep timer on the TV. When I had an older TV that didn't have such a timer, I used one of those plug-in timers that turn on and off lights at specific times. I just plugged the TV in instead.

Dry mouth is usually because you are breathing through your mouth rather than your nose while sleeping. Blow your nose and dab a bit of Vick's on your upper lip before sleeping to reduce congestion.
Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 01:17 am
The TV has a timer, just not sure it if can be enabled when sourcing from an external USB drive...I'll have to check. The dry mouth is definitely from the toothpaste...Tom's of Maine.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:36 am
@Butrflynet,
You set your TV to turn itself off? That isn't luxury; that's decadance!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:45 am
@Chumly,

(Chumly's Theme)

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:01 am
@Chumly,
Do it all the time. LAst night I had a dream about rhinocerii charging around a large hedge row to which I was stuck and could not move. When I awoke, there was a T rex attacking some triceratopsians and the Triceratops were charging the T Rex. Perhaps thats where the story line came from. My rhinoceriiwere a lovely denim color.
I have a timer on this tv but Ive never gotten that far with all the ferschluginner menu options.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
Billy Joel & denim rhinos & Tom's of Maine Toothpaste & TV's...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You set your TV to turn itself off? That isn't luxury; that's decadance!

When I had a television, I used to use the timer as an alarm clock and woke up every morning to the television turning on.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:37 am
@tsarstepan,

if i'm sleeping while a dvd is playing (a common occurance at chez philbis), the shutting off of the dvd when it's over usually wakes me right on up...
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:44 am
@Region Philbis,
That used to happen with my dad all the time when we were kids. He'd fall asleep on the couch watching Carson and wake up in a startled commotion if we happened to shut the TV off. If you tried to wake him up on your own so he could go to bed, he'd never hear you. Shut the TV off and he was up in an instant.

I always wondered if it had something to do with his WW2 experience. Soldiers (and mothers) train themselves to listen for certain sounds while sleeping and when they don't hear them anymore or the sound changes, get alerted to something being wrong.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:55 am
@Butrflynet,

i wonder if it's because i'm subconsciously listening to the film while i sleep -- it usually happens when watching something i've seen before,
so the ending is my cue to wake up...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
When I had a television, I used to use the timer as an alarm clock and woke up every morning to the television turning on.
I was thinking of dong that. I've got a .6 TB USB HD hooked up to the bedroom TV.

What type of media should I wake to I wonder...Oral Roberts reruns on MP4?
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:57 pm
@Chumly,
some of edgars YOUTUBEs would be nice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:58 pm
When I nap in the daytime, I plop in my recliner before the TV. Don't even have to make it dark in there. All that drivel lulls me to sleep.
0 Replies