long after the conference concluded = ?

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:15 am

long after the conference concluded = long time after the conference was closed?

Odd enough, I googled "AMA makes physician health a priority", the first hit google turned up is :
Quote:
22 Oct 2010 ... As physicians, we prioritize the health of others often at the expense of our own health. Our patients' health is our priority and why we ...

Whoa! Today is just 25 Oct 2010 (Beijing Time). Long after? How strange!

In the context below, you can see the auther has said "held earlier this month in Chicago." Well, the conference was held earlier this month, how can you say today is "long after the conference concluded?" Should it be "shortly after the conference was closed?"

Context:

AMA makes physician health a priority

by Cecil B. Wilson, MD

As physicians, we prioritize the health of others often at the expense of our own health. Our patients’ health is our priority and why we chose the profession of medicine. The International Conference on Physician Health, held earlier this month in Chicago, gave physicians the opportunity to make their health a priority and provided them with tools to make healthy decisions for themselves long after the conference concluded.

The conference was sponsored by the American Medical Association, British Medical Association and Canadian Medical Association to highlight health risks for physicians and promote a culture of wellness, while reducing the stigma associated with poor health in physicians. It served as a forum for health care professionals and researchers to present recent findings, innovative treatments and educational programs in various areas of physician health.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 544 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:27 am
@oristarA,
... gave physicians the opportunity to make their health a priority and provided them with tools to make healthy decisions for themselves long after the conference concluded.

[/quote]

The author could have had easily said, well into the future, but he was stressing that the tools the physicians learned at the conference could be used for long time after the event, not that the conference was a long time ago.
oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 01:41 am
@Ceili,
Very Happy
Thank you Ceili.
0 Replies