Is there a vintage plumbing expert in the house?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:40 pm
@boomerang,
In my last best house, I had an apparatus for the bathtub that I sent the specs to a place in north LA. I never managed to get a grip. Luckily, the buyers of my house might have been even more nutso than me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, my building inspector high up didn't just know either.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:01 pm
This might make you sick, but over the years...mainly back in the 80's.... I replaced about a dozen of the rib cage type showers....replaced meaning ripped out and threw away....then built custom walk-in's.....If I only knew.

They are very steampunk!
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:24 pm
@2PacksAday,
I'm positively naseous. Seriously.

You could have made $100,000 selling those things today.

Anyway.....

Now I'm trying to sniff out a trail on something like this (that doesn't cost $3,000 plus shipping of cast iron from England):

http://www.crye.co.uk/kc_images/prod_images_l/vic_washstand_1_174_2008710155049.jpg

Anybody?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 12:26 pm
Here's a start:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod36330187&ecid=NMCINexTagFeed&003=5839325&010=H1LK3&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=21-87460674-2
boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 12:43 pm
@PUNKEY,
The price is better but that's a bit too fancy for me.

Right now I'm looking at some old cast iron treadle sewing machine stands that I could modify to work.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:03 pm
@boomerang,
that's kinda ironic, boom.

I have a big porcelain basin sitting on an old treadle machine base as my "sink" in the cabin right now...

no, you can't have it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:03 pm
@boomerang,
That sounds like a great idea to me, Boom.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:21 pm
That's crazy coincidental, rockhead! Next time I'm coming straight to you for sink making advice!

I've found this sink:

http://docs.hdpi.com/product/Ronbow-CB3077-8.jpg

that is roughly the same size as this base:

http://images.craigslist.org/3k23md3o15W45U05X3abn8ddea0227f0b1fee.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n93k63m95O35U05P5abn17dc6e9169e71163.jpg

I'm thinking that if you put it all together it might look pretty cool.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:28 pm
@boomerang,
that's my base, but you needa put it outside for a coupla years first...

it was a thrift store find. no machine or top. still got the drawers, though.

have fun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:41 pm
After chasing around looking at a wide variety of surprisingly beautiful sewing machine legs I just don't think I can make it work. I'd have to leave the cabinet part on and I'm not sure I want to do that.

So I hit antique row today and found a super cool old, brass fire place gate that might work but then I found an amazing cast iron table with a marble top that would make an incredible sink base.

I have no idea how much trouble that would be or what it might cost to have a hole drilled in the marble for a drain.

Is that something a regular tile person could do or do you have to go to some specialty type craftsman?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
@boomerang,
2-packs would be the one to answer that.

I don't think drilling marble should be that hard to find done...
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 08:52 pm
@boomerang,
Drilling a hole just for a drain line....2" or so....is not a big deal, it does take a special drill bit....a masonary hole saw *.....most tile guys only have/use 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 hole saw bits, so you would prob have better luck checking with a counter top shop....those guys tend to have a wider variety of hole cutting tools....I'd just call around and see if one of them would let you bring the table to their shop and have them cut it there....or if you happen to know anybody that is planning on getting new granite/marble tops put in soon, you can always take the top there.

When I do things like this for folks, and they bring the piece to me, I normally just tell them to buy me a big ass Mt Dew or lunch sometime...but if I have to go to them, it can become a major deal....dragging the saw out and setting it up...etc.

*....when I was a kid I watched my dad drill one with regular masonary drill bits {made a circle}, then knocked the center out...but the whole time we were both scared shitless....it was a 1000.00 piece of marble.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
@2PacksAday,
Thanks 2Packs!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:50 am
@boomerang,
Or a marble yard, which may amount to the same thing, but in LA they were advertised as marble and granite sales yards. They are fun to go to.. (I still have some neat photos)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:37 pm
@boomerang,
Anytime Boomer.

I roughly know your area, and there are a great deal of tile setters up there, some are true masters {big website we all belong to} so there very well may be a tile setter with the proper tools.

The main reason I suggested the counter top guys, is the fact that I'm not real sure what you are attempting.....if you are going with a bowl type sink...

http://www.lmsstores.com/users/11634/pictures/Bowl%20Sink.JPG

....it would depend on where your water lines are coming from....in the picture it's thru the stone, which means at least 1 and up to 3 more holes are needed....counter top guys usually have all that stuff on hand {templates and whatnot} as well as the piece of pipe called the drain body, which is the first piece that connects to the sink, and would be the
actual size needed for the drain hole.

Also if you wanted to partially sink the sink into the top, a counter top guy would be able to do that as well. The whole project is more in their area than a tile guys.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
@2PacksAday,
listening..
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:51 am
@boomerang,
What an adorable bathroom Boomer.

I love it.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
0 Replies

Luxury Living

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:01 am
@boomerang,
These are antique circular showers (though they can be made oval). You can get it custom made if you don’t find it in the market. And you do need a tray at the bottom. These are quite expensive. There are very few companies that still make a reproduction of these.
0 Replies