Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:31 pm
So.

I finally got around to making a 2x recipe of Marcella Hazan's bolognese, a recipe and sauce I've made many times.

This blog (I love blogs) gives the idea:
http://www.kitchenchick.com/2006/12/marcella_hazans.html

So it's getting late and I've just stopped with the browning part. The rest, domani.

I cheated, in that I added some garlic in the battuto (the classic of carrot, celery, onion), and some black pepper when the meat went in, very not usual.

But, damn, I shouldn't have tasted, that meat at this point was wonderful. I could scarf the pan.

Maybe a whole new way of cooking ground meat, for me, and it's early in the recipe.

People have often liked when I've made homemade pasta and the MHazan bolognese, but not all. Diane thought it was boring, or a similar word, and she was right. I now add pepper and garlic. Roger liked it.

Wow, at this stage.
Just wait, I'll ruin it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,753 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I lied, I forgot, between the browning and later, one adds white wine and cooks it all down, which is when I just tasted, when it all tasted wonderful. Later comes the milk.. tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ah, on the discussion on that thread, I read my m.h. books.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, ignore posts of mine after the first, as I was riffing. But the first, re how to treat a package of ground beef, is very worth listening to. Stopping when I did to taste, after the wine addition and the later simmering down, really good.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually, that was the best part. I might learn to cook ground beef with white wine to just that point. The rest of the recipe involves adding milk, cooking down, and then tomatoes, then cooking down over several hours..

Anyway, I got my bolognese but... was bored. Added a bunch of pasilla chile powder to good avail.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 03:00 am
@ossobuco,
you'd love my sauce
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
@laughoutlood,
So tell us about it..
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
i only use the most secret ingredients