Router Riddle

snood

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:06 am
Hey, this is some strange kim-chi.

My laptop will work perfectly fine, picking up our wireless router signal right away upon turning on - but not when it is in the same room with the router! When it's in the same room, I have to do some weird acrobatics like restarting the router or reseting the computer or something, in order for it to connect!

I have had the same setup for years in my computer/play room - my desktop monitor sits on top of the desk, and right in front of that monitor, I keep my laptop. Often I have both computers on and do things simultaneously. Recently we got a new modem and went from an unsecured home network to a secured one. Ever since then, I can open my laptop and connect to our router (and therefore the internet) when I'm forty feet away from the router - in the living room. But not when I'm 3 feet away - in the computer room.

Can anyone provide a good guess about what the ?&%#$!!? is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:29 am
@snood,
A wild guess here: Your new router might be using a slightly different frequency and you have something in your computer room with very low power, but running at the same frequency. See if there is an option on the router to change the freqency band it is operating in. A lot of routers allow you to change bands to escape interference. Another option: turn everything in the computer room off except the wireless router and see if that helps.
0 Replies