Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:18 am
@Rockhead,
is that negative speculation about me or a definition Razz
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You could have prevented ALL of it by actually providing that information in the first place, rather than leaving others to speculate about it.

I have, many times. The group is sitting there not doing all the things people worry about already.

This is why I just don't have the patience for it, no matter how many times I explain I'll get the same stupid assumptions and it's just annoying to me.

Disagree all you want with me, you know damn well I don't mind that. But it's aggravating to incessantly be disagreed with on the basis of random assumptions.

Quote:
Look, I don't want to brow-beat you, I see that you edited your last post to admit that it was a stupid thing to start this thread at all, and that's the basic point I was getting at. If you want to make changes to A2K, whether any of it benefits any of us or not, it isn't as if we have any say in the matter at all, but if you don't want feedback - possibly negative feedback - don't bring up changes with the group, as if you do want feedback.

I guess I want intelligent feedback, and yes I need to go about collecting that more intelligently.

But this simply was not at all a request for feedback and the tendency of a forum to turn everything into an opinion fest is part of what I am annoyed with. Forums have a weird dynamic where a simple request does this.

If you ask who wants to buy your blue car, you'll get 10 responses about how blue is not the best color for a car and no buyers. If you ask how to make a carrot cake you'll get 10 opinions on what other cakes are superior to carrot cakes.

It's like herding insane cats, it's ******* annoying.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:19 am
@djjd62,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:22 am
@Butrflynet,
thanks, i had it pegged as F'ed Up Dialogue, something that can run rampant here as well
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
It's like herding insane cats, it's ******* annoying.

As I said earlier, at some point you have to ask yourself if the problem is really with everybody else.

Do you know how to herd cats in real life? With an open can of tuna, not with a stick and a bunch of yelling. Perhaps you should consider changing your approach if you aren't receiving the results you wish, rather than just blame things on everyone else.

Quote:
I have, many times. The group is sitting there not doing all the things people worry about already.

I think the comments in this thread make it perfectly and totally clear that nobody understands (or understood) what it is you are proposing to do. Perhaps you feel like you've properly explained it (in some other thread, I guess), but I don't see that result amongst the people here who were discussing it. This leads me to conclude that you have not in fact properly explained it, because I have a hard time believing that the people who responded are a bunch of insecure morons who are challenged by your idea out of failings within them.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:24 am
i'm looking forward to what this new thing looks like, change doesn't really bother me, just curiosity on my part as to what this was all about
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:25 am
I think it's gross and unwarranted conceit to allege that anyone here was motivated by fear. Doubt and uncertainty, certainly--given the idiotic nature of this thread. But fear . . . oh please, get over yourself. I also think it is pathetic that people hide behind acronyms, at the same time attempting to display themselves as a member of the cognoscenti.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This leads me to conclude that you have not in fact properly explained it, because I have a hard time believing that the people who responded are a bunch of insecure morons who are challenged by your idea out of failings within them.

Bravo.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
I meant private as in members-only, like a private club.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:45 am
Guys, think Droid. The Droid guys showed up and hated it that the membership no longer consisted of people predominantly interested in discussing what Droid does. Now if someone like "The Chief" shows up and starts a new Droid group, I will benefit because I bought one and do have interest in some of their discussions now. They will benefit because they won't have to sift through inane posts about their preferred topic, and the site will benefit from the increased traffic, and we'll all benefit from the likely crossover from group to group.
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@OCCOM BILL,
i get that, but i don't get single interest forums myself, i like lots of things to look at, not just one subject
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Agreed...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm
From what I've gathered, everyone will be able to READ all threads but cannot respond to any which derive from a GROUP unless they are a member of that particular group. So, unless you want to contribute, you can browse without joining.

That's if I have that correctly.

At any rate, I don't want to host or moderate anything, but thanks for asking.
electronicmail

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I don't think anyone in this thread was my target audience.

I am getting feedback about the very concept of groups that I did not solicit

You know your target audience, why not group it and restrict answers to it? Make a list, check it twice.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:16 pm
@Mame,
You're welcome Mame. I guess we need to find someone else to symbolically head the World's Most Marvelous Canadians group. It's not going to be the same without your help Mame. Sad

On another front, I have an idea for what title the Phil Forum group should go under:
Philosophy Shower

Quote:
Philosophy shower
When one spends an abnormally long time in the shower because they are putting thought into some of the deeper issues in their life.

Example:
Friend: Dude you were in the shower for 45 minutes! What the hell were you doing, jacking off?

Guy: Nah dude I was taking a philosophy shower.

Friend: Oh ok that's excused then.
by FuctButSects on Oct 21, 2010

Approved entry to the Urban Dictionary.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I said earlier, at some point you have to ask yourself if the problem is really with everybody else.

Do you know how to herd cats in real life? With an open can of tuna, not with a stick and a bunch of yelling. Perhaps you should consider changing your approach if you aren't receiving the results you wish, rather than just blame things on everyone else.

I've taken blame for not having predicted that this is what would have happened to the topic. I've also said many times that I do not think I am the right person to do this role at all but nobody else within my company wants to touch it with a ten-foot pole and we don't have the money to change that.

But now I have a question. Do you want to run a forum or not? That is all I was asking. If not, could this thread be about organizing the efforts of those who do?
electronicmail

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I want to run a Tea Party forum.

Anybody can read but only TP forum members can post, right?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I've taken blame for not having predicted that this is what would have happened to the topic. I've also said many times that I do not think I am the right person to do this role at all but nobody else within my company wants to touch it with a ten-foot pole and we don't have the money to change that.

But now I have a question. Do you want to run a forum or not? That is all I was asking. If not, could this thread be about organizing the efforts of those who do?

I followed the instructions in the original post in this thread, and sent an email to the Help desk with exactly that information in it. I would be happy to do so, on several different topics that I find interesting, provided that it doesn't ultimately lead to a worse site experience for myself or others.

As an aside, why don't you ask one of our community members to assist with customer communications, if nobody else wants to do it? I spend a lot of time in my RL job carefully crafting messages to groups of customers who don't understand anything that goes on behind the scenes and are paranoid about changes. Now, I don't think I'm necessarily the right guy for the job, because I can be kind of a dick from time to time, as you've rightly pointed out. But surely we could come up with some sort of community oriented solution to the problems of communicating with the community.

Cycloptichorn
electronicmail

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I followed the instructions in the original post in this thread, and sent an email to the Help desk with exactly that information in it.

I missed the instructions in the original post but writing to the help desk is like talking to a wall. I still don't know why my original account here was cancelled and that was like 6 months ago.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
I want to run a Tea Party forum.

Anybody can read but only TP forum members can post, right?

like some kind of right wing circle jerk