Who wants what groups?

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 08:39 am
@Green Witch,
The problem with this sort of group - is some idiots may think they are non-idiots.

Maybe we could expand the groups to include: idiots who do not think they are idiots.

Myself - I will fall within the recognized idiots group (but on rare occassion helpful)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 08:39 am
@George,
George wrote:
Would access to the Group need to be approved by a Group Leader?
Would posts to the group be moderated by a Group Leader?

Time to resurrect the Able2Know Sturmabteilung . . .

http://legendsdc.com/images/products/display/800371.jpg

See . . . we even have our own action figures!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:11 am
Robert said, "The groups are a good place to curate discussion or to carve out a niche that doesn't work well on the general a2k boards."

Farmerman, I'm uncomfortable if our long time major categories now become special groups.
That means I would now have to join them to access and respond to threads on, say, art, pets, garden, cooking? regular New Posts followers couldn't see them without going to those categories? So those are pretty broad categories to "curate discussion" on, to not have threads go into New Posts. Since some people would still post new (say) art threads on New Posts, there would then be two forums, the regular art one, and the one only the curated group could respond to. Which I can see being ok, but it could get to too much work if there are many general groups. (I could imagine, though, something more specific like "artists conversations/chat", though I'd still prefer that to be a regular thread.)

..Whereas I can see special groups for crossword puzzles, riddles, water softening. In contrast to talk 7200's worry, the people some don't like could still post on the general board on other threads. Even there, if there is a word game group, I would have to join and check in to that to play the one word game thread I follow, the haiku thread, or at least join and then follow by putting haiku into the search function, where now I just run across the thread by viewing the New Posts.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:13 am
Idea Would founders and leaders of each group get a stipend or salary and/or the ability to charge membership fees to its subsequent membership? Idea

Then I'm all in for this idea!
Wink

chai2

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

George wrote:
Would access to the Group need to be approved by a Group Leader?
Would posts to the group be moderated by a Group Leader?

Time to resurrect the Able2Know Sturmabteilung . . .

http://legendsdc.com/images/products/display/800371.jpg

See . . . we even have our own action figures!

or....

http://kenfrost.0catch.com/bigbrother.JPG

Group Leader.

jeez, I hope it isn't someone who already hates me.

that would totally suck.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:22 am
I would like to start the "I am not a witch!" group. It will be open to all people who are not witches.

Hold on, not so fast, Christine O'Donnell...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:28 am
@joefromchicago,
I guess I'd be barred from that group. Oh wait you wrote witch not bit.... Nevermind.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:37 am
@joefromchicago,
sniff, sniff, but I'm a good witch, Joe.

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/3/7/2/7/4/ar124541439747273.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:15 am
I would like to see a group for those requesting help with learning English and proper use of the language. That would include Latin and other language translations. We have so many requests for help and we have a number of people who take the time to help them. It's a great service.

BBB
JPB

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:25 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Maybe I'm not understanding the purpose of the groups. I seldom participate in the ESL threads, for instance, but occasionally we get a question that has to do with a technical/medical field that I'm familiar with and will help with those. I'd probably never go into an ESL group. These folks not only want to understand the English but sometimes want help on the context.

If we have a dozen or more groups do we have to join each one? Is it by invitation only? Sounds kinda cliquish. Or, is it more like the pre-format change when we had subjects and folks went to as many of those as they chose?

From what I gather someone owns or is somehow in charge of a group and can include or exclude whoever he/she wants. Is that right? So, if I want a medical group (I don't) and I only want it include those with medical knowledge (we could talk about navels all day) do I invite my selected few or wait for them to come begging?
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:28 am
@JPB,
You will need to submit your requests to the Grüppenfurher . . . you will be contacted when this will be allowed. Until that time, i suggest that you do not make waves . . .
chai2

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You will need to submit your requests to the Grüppenfurher . . . you will be contacted when this will be allowed. Until that time, i suggest that you do not make waves . . .

I've already said too much...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:49 am
could we get grouper, cause i could really go for a nice piece of fish
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:58 am
@djjd62,
I'll bring the tartar sauce.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
@joefromchicago,

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:54 pm
There is a problem with using groups to hide the things with limited interest like puzzles, Latin, and ESL. If someone joins to find out the best spelling for their new Latin tattoo, they are going to plop it right in the middle of the main board, or the General Group. Even if they are aware of the Latin Tattoo Group, they are hardly going to seek membership in a special group to post one question.

In any case, I continue to believe that private groups will be detrimental to the site as a whole. Either there are good discussions going on that most are unaware of, or there will be visible and maybe provocative comments that most of us will not be able to respond to.
chai2

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:37 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

There is a problem with using groups to hide the things with limited interest like puzzles, Latin, and ESL. If someone joins to find out the best spelling for their new Latin tattoo, they are going to plop it right in the middle of the main board, or the General Group. Even if they are aware of the Latin Tattoo Group, they are hardly going to seek membership in a special group to post one question.

In any case, I continue to believe that private groups will be detrimental to the site as a whole. Either there are good discussions going on that most are unaware of, or there will be visible and maybe provocative comments that most of us will not be able to respond to.

Once again, the rat impresses me.

I agree for the most part.
Well, I could see a group specifically for puzzles/games, as a person generally knows if that's a major interest of theirs.

All this "seeking membership" stuff....I'll be honest, it makes me feel kinda unwanted.

I have to admit, my feelings have been hurt by that "non-idiot" comment. I ususally don't take things personally, especially when they are said by an individual that I know is just trolling.
But, in this case, I would have a hard time thinking anyone would want me to join one group or another, because, guess what? At some point I'm going to monopolize, act the fool (if that's what is meant by being extreme, I don't know), etc. There's been enough times here where my ususally impenetrable force field has been compromised, and I sit and think "wow, do so many people hate me that much? Maybe I'll just leave everyone alone, and stop posting altogether"
I'm not saying this fishing for "oh chai, we like you ok", that's not the point. Making groups where someone can determine "you don't quite belong" sucks. I want to know that I can say something without having to guard my words.

Jesus, we have to do that at work, in society, even with family sometimes. It's important to have somewhere to go where you can let it all hang out.

talk72000

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:41 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
where you can let it all hang out

I wrote "Let it all hang out" and stuck above the urinal.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:45 pm
there needs to be a foodie group all to themselves.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@dyslexia,
I definitely agree Dys. And those individuals shilling for the Tofu Industrial Complex WILL NOT BE ALLOWED within those borders! Mad
0 Replies