Who wants what groups?

spendius

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:10 pm
I would just let it run away in whatever direction it goes in Bob and rely on the wisdom and wit of your subscribers. I know you haven't a lot of confidence in that but it's the only way. Evolution theory dictates it.

There has never been known a leapord which thought "I think I'll have a white spot and a white spot there."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:12 pm
@Butrflynet,

Thank you...I was about to look that up myself...the only FUD I know is Elmer.
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I said earlier, at some point you have to ask yourself if the problem is really with everybody else.

Do you know how to herd cats in real life? With an open can of tuna, not with a stick and a bunch of yelling. Perhaps you should consider changing your approach if you aren't receiving the results you wish, rather than just blame things on everyone else.

I've taken blame for not having predicted that this is what would have happened to the topic. I've also said many times that I do not think I am the right person to do this role at all but nobody else within my company wants to touch it with a ten-foot pole and we don't have the money to change that.

But now I have a question. Do you want to run a forum or not? That is all I was asking. If not, could this thread be about organizing the efforts of those who do?

Erm....I kind of thought that if you wanted to do that, you contacted you using contact us?

If it's ok to discuss a bit on this thread, and I won't get yelled at by you, I kind of WOULD like to run a forum, one which I have begun to create a couple of times myself, and kind of got a bit overwhelmed by the technicalities of.

I would want it to be a forum that people here couldn't see...because it would be for a particular group of therapists who I would wish to be able to discuss things with each other very openly. Clearly that would still demand confidentiality be honoured in anything that they wrote, but I'd want to be able to have technical and free and frank discussion.

I am not asking you to consider me as a beta group runner UNLESS:

1. It is ok with you that things move at a snail's pace partly because I am going to be cut off from computers at least half the time it looks like, and partly because the time I would have to devote to it would be minimal anyway....and my lot are all the same, (plus you don't know from cats!) so the thing might never work anyway.

2. It would not bother you that far from utilising your SEO skills, the thing remained as invisible as possible.

I am thinking that both these factors would make this a non-runner for your beta testing, and maybe always, but I just thought I'd raise it.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:28 pm
@Butrflynet,

I prefer Fear and Loathing in a2k...
http://i56.tinypic.com/fd4tx0.jpg
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:35 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Erm....I kind of thought that if you wanted to do that, you contacted you using contact us?

That was my inadequate attempt to avoid having the discussion go into whether groups are bad.

Quote:
If it's ok to discuss a bit on this thread, and I won't get yelled at by you, I kind of WOULD like to run a forum, one which I have begun to create a couple of times myself, and kind of got a bit overwhelmed by the technicalities of.

I would want it to be a forum that people here couldn't see...because it would be for a particular group of therapists who I would wish to be able to discuss things with each other very openly. Clearly that would still demand confidentiality be honoured in anything that they wrote, but I'd want to be able to have technical and free and frank discussion.

I've seen you mention this desire before, I think it's a perfect example of how it can be useful.

However I don't yet have invisible groups, just groups that can have forums that are invisible. I think invisible groups may be an option in the future but if you think just having the group's existence visible but all discussions private is good enough it is a candidate for the current groups work.

Moving slow is fine, better for us actually as we clearly have a lot to do before it actually works well.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I prefer Fear and Loathing in a2k...

Read the book and watched the movie recently, funny stuff. As your attorney I advise that you try the mescaline.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
However I don't yet have invisible groups, just groups that can have forums that are invisible. I think invisible groups may be an option in the future but if you think just having the group's existence visible but all discussions private is good enough it is a candidate for the current groups work.

That might do it.

But..would all of A2k be visible to the group members?

Thing is, I don't want my Worlds Colliding....I want A2k Deb totally unlink-able with Work Deb...so it sounds as though this isn't a goer unless/until you have invisible groups?

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:24 pm
@dlowan,
Even if groups are invisible it would be on the same site and a2k can't really be made invisible. I think you'd need to keep different identities or something for the group and it might not serve your world-collision purposes well enough.
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes....I agree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:20 pm
@dlowan,
from urban dictionary, I found fat ugly dyke.

Tsar, step up, give us a new explaino on urban dictionary!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:27 pm
I can well imagine having a forum on land use. Or landscape architecture. Maybe one or the other, or a clanging combo. But not now.

But, riffing off of those, regional and/or city planning could be a nice hotbed.

Architecture is near to zero here, but of interest to many worldwide. I'm not the one to work that up.. One particular friend could be, but I trust he is busy.
A couple of my mentors are landscape design pros who happen to be extolled artists. I'm thinking neither of them.. or maybe not. Maybe one would be good.
He was my elements of design teacher. Exploded my world. I'll at least invite him here, at some point.

Another, fellow worker, a design teacher, artist, weaving teacher, woman of interesting life, maybe she would be interested.
She's the one my niece remembers some time long ago as making her own catsup. So, when I get to LA now, notsoveryoften, niece says, are you going to see the catsup lady?

So, I could promote all this. Should I wait? I think so. Let's get it started.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 12:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
invisible

in groups we tryst
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:53 pm
So who are forming Groups?
I've applied to start one.
Anyone else?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:59 pm
@George,
I am moving a nursing forum here, as well as an ex-cult community and some other niche forums I have sitting around languishing and Cyclo suggested some he wants.

There are also some groups previously promised to folks who used to have them that I am working on, like the philforum groups for original writing etc.

With those and the new able2know group that we'll use to coordinate activity I think we are all set for BETA groups. But eventually users will be able to create them on their own (we just don't have the code to do this ready yet).
Mame

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I'm happy to help out in whatever way I can so if you want to pm me about it more, please do. I'm home on the 28th and can focus more and access the internet more then. But I do warn you that I'm NOT computer-savvy, like Jes and so many others are (finding threads etc - I don't even use this site to its capacity). I can repeat anything ad nauseum, though Smile And collect data, liaise, and help with structure, so... if you can use me, do so.
George

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:00 pm
Kewl.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:01 pm
@Mame,
I am going to be travelling till around the 28th as well and nothing can really move till we have the able2know group to use to communicate, so I'll probably be looking to reconnect with the volunteers around then (probably in the next 2-3 weeks).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:33 pm
@George,
How does one apply for one again? I'll put in an application for art history and theory group:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2a62olc.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I am moving a nursing forum here, as well as an ex-cult community and some other niche forums I have sitting around languishing and Cyclo suggested some he wants.

Hey! The nursing forum can help the ex-cult community if they get too depressed or delusional and want to commit mass suicide, non?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 05:00 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
. if you can use me, do so.

Thanks for the invite Mamie. If I was "over there" I might take you up on that.