Oooooooh, The Scary Movie Thread

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:21 pm
@vinsan,
the iron man looks interesting, i'm not a big fan of spanish horror films so antropophagus might be a miss, tonight i'm watching Umuzaki, a great and shall we say twisted tale
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
I gotta tell ya, one of the scariest movies I ever saw was "Carnival of Souls" made in 1962

I accidently started watching it when I about 10 years old (maybe). May parents were on vacation, my sister out on a date, and my brothers, who were supposed to be watching me, snuck out. I just kept watching, and watching.

I don't think I slept for the next 3 years.

Hey everybody, I have a question about the name of a horror movie I can't remember the name of. Maybe somone knows which one I'm talking about.

All I can remember is that these scientists were able to "capture" evil, or Satan/the Devil, something like that.
They had it contained in this, um, big glass cylinder, maybe 12 feet tall, 4 feet across.
I remember Evil moved about in this container, looked gel like, I think it glowed. It kept streaming upwards, I guess trying to get out.

It was scary as ****. I didn't watch the whole thing though.

Any clues?

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 07:34 am
watched Slither last night, good fun

might start the Ringu series (including the korean remake The Ring Virus) tonight
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:03 am
@djjd62,
I really liked Slither. Nathan Filion is a quite a charismatic charmer. I wish he'd give up on Castle [He's the only reason I watch the show] and move onto a more movie based career.

After you watch this so called Korean reboot of The Ring let us know DJ. One of the rare times I liked the remake over the original is the US remake of the original Ring. I really liked the original but the US remake was creepier and more accessible to follow.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:25 am
@tsarstepan,
started the korean reboot last night, seems to be a fairly straightforward remake, the video is quite different, not very creepy, and the reporter has mentioned a meteorite that was reported a few days before, but no more has been said about yet, will know more tomorrow
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:26 am
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenparanormal.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:40 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
but no more has been said about yet, will know more tomorrow

I was going to ask you how long the reboot was since it seemed to take more then one day to watch then I realized that if you retweaked the plot a little that it could make a possible excellent prime time television show given a network that wouldn't flinch at putting a horror show that didn't pull the punches on television.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:43 am
@tsarstepan,
i was tired last night, kept nodding off, decided to finish it tonight
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:44 am
@djjd62,
Good policy. Surprised
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 04:56 am
@tsarstepan,
interesting that you mention length of the film, the korean remake is 10 minutes longer than the original at 1 hour 45, and the US remake is 20 minutes longer than the original at 1 hour 55

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:28 am
A 1953 BBC television series, The Quatermass Experiment, influenced a great deal of sci-fi horror including Doctor Who, The Blob, 2001, Night of the Living Dead, Alien, and John Carpenter's version of The Thing. Hammer Films made a movie version titled "The Quatermass Xperiment" in 1956.
djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:33 am
@wandeljw,
saw the film version years ago on one of those saturday matinee type scary movie tv shows they used to have when i was a kid
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:40 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
After you watch this so called Korean reboot of The Ring let us know DJ. One of the rare times I liked the remake over the original is the US remake of the original Ring. I really liked the original but the US remake was creepier and more accessible to follow.

it was a pretty straight forward remake in some ways, the meteor thing was a red herring, the kid was a girl in this flick, was really kind of cool, since she resembled the protagonist to a certain extent, they changed some of the circumstances too, actually more interesting than the original, she killed a guy with her mind plot point in my opinion

might re-watch the US version tonight to compare, still like the original best at this point
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 02:05 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Hey everybody, I have a question about the name of a horror movie I can't remember the name of. Maybe somone knows which one I'm talking about.

All I can remember is that these scientists were able to "capture" evil, or Satan/the Devil, something like that.
They had it contained in this, um, big glass cylinder, maybe 12 feet tall, 4 feet across.
I remember Evil moved about in this container, looked gel like, I think it glowed. It kept streaming upwards, I guess trying to get out.

It was scary as ****. I didn't watch the whole thing though.

Any clues?

I read chai2's post just today.

Chai2, here's the answer to your question: Prince of Darkness (1987), directed by John Carpenter (who also wrote the script and composed the soundtrack as well).

The swirling green contents of the glass cylinder are liquid Satan (I kid you not), who has a Daddy in another dimension. Laughing The academic characters in the movie were not the ones who had captured Satan in the cylinder. Now, I haven't seen the movie since the early 1990s at the latest; but if my memory serves me correctly, Satan had been captured in ancient times by space aliens. To me the whole premise was a bit silly, but I thought the special effects (including the juicy deaths) and the soundtrack were great.

And here's a nifty bonus: Alice Cooper plays a possessed street person! Laughing

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t9D_ovmGhQE/SPqbQY-mo2I/AAAAAAAAP08/NbbvAM5HCL0/s400/Alice+Cooper+Prince+of+Darkness.jpg

Worth a look if you don't mind the language.
chai2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:13 pm
@wmwcjr,
oh yeah...you know what I'll be doing tonight...

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:28 pm
@chai2,
If this slick movie disappointed you last night, please forgive ...

Still, a sequel would have been interesting.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:45 pm
I'm watching it now on youutbe, the 2nd part.

look at this blooper in the 1st 11 seconds of this section.

He's flipping a 6 of hearts around, then when the shot changes, it's another card.

When a movies about evil, ya gotta watch everything.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 08:38 pm
@chai2,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Wow! You're quite observant. I certainly didn't notice that. Usually, I don't pay attention to such details. Well, don't you see? He was working his way through college doing a nightclub magician routine. He's so used to doing it that he does it without thinking when he's distracted by something else. This reminds me of the time when I showed the 1970 made-for-TV movie Duel (an adaptation of the Richard Matheson short story with the same title that was the first full-length movie Steven Spielberg directed, by the way). I had thought it was a pretty good movie, but had overlooked all the mistakes Spielberg made. My daughters, who were just kids at the time, laughed all the way through it. I felt like a dummy. Smile

This is an amusing situation. I just happened to have watched the ten You Tube videos myself earlier this afternoon before I read your last post in this thread. By the way, I see that I was mistaken. Liquid Satan was not imprisoned by space aliens inside the glass cylinder; he was buried in it by his daddy the "anti-God."
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:55 am
A month back I watched insidius and was quite impressed BTW. Horror element in the film was pretty scary.

But then I also got impressed wid Orphan (old style horror).
0 Replies

billwillclark

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 02:02 am
@djjd62,
I really enjoyed Women in Black, all the Paranormal Activity series, and of course Amittyville
0 Replies