What is the longest film you have ever watched in it's entirety in one sitting?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
The early Day of the Jackal was a good film for me.

And yes, I read a recent take on the new one.

Let me know.

Meantime, I've just picked up a book that is written as a bad movie. What, I spent money on this? See me spitting tacks.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:23 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a great film.

Edgar Ramirez gives a charismatic performance and even though the character/figure is such an easy target to hate, the actor makes the film quite watchable.

The guy is a brutal killer and a womanizer. Most of his cohorts were revolting violent sociopaths who were blinded by their alleged idealistic delusions.

It's the first time I have ever found myself watching a film and rooting for the East German police and other assorted Eastern Bloc law enforcement agencies to do something and try to arrest or bump off Carlos. Of course none of that happens.

The soundtrack is a mix of Arabic and European pop and rock. What an excellent fit.

It's such a shame as I don't believe any of the film is eligible for the Oscars this year as it previously debuted as a television miniseries.

Best acting nominations for Edgar Ramirez, amongst others.
Best Direction
Best Original Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Throw in a few tech nominations: sound editing, mixing, and film editing.

Easily the most ambitious film this year.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:29 pm
Mine was probably Inagaki's "Chushingura", ("The 47 Ronin"), one of Japan's national epics, only about 4 1/2 hours, which seemed super-long in the 70's) but each frame is beautiful, like Japanese woodblock prints--with samurai swords.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thanks for that, I'll be looking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
You are talking this Carlos stuff.

I'm so over that, no matter the pomp, much less late in the day promulgated pomp.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:46 am
Claire's Knee was the longest film I ever watched in one sitting. Granted it was only 105 minutes. But those minutes lasted for days. I still twitch when I think about it.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
@Roberta,
Did you see the prequel Claire's Elbow and the latest sequel Claire's Hip Joint?

Hmm...I think I just found Roberta's kryptonite! Got to squirrel this information away for later use.
Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 11:19 am
@tsarstepan,
One body part was one too many for me.

Damn, now he knows. Claire's Knee makes me helpless.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 03:59 pm
Isn't both The Godfather and Gone With the Wind four hours?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:04 pm
@eoe,
According to IMDB Godfather is a shade under 3 hours at Runtime:
175 min
. While Gone with the Wind clocks in at Runtime:
USA:238 min (restored DVD version) | Sweden:223 min (1969 re-release) | Sweden:234 min (1985 re-release) | UK:224 min (1994 re-release) | UK:233 min (1989 re-release) | 226 min (copyright length)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
A Tales of the City marathon on a long weekend about 15 years ago. I think I fell asleep at some point, but since I'd seen all of the shows a few times by then it didn't really matter.

I just checked on IMDB - 360 minutes for the first set, 330 minutes for the second, 180 for Further Tales ... (then there were the PBS begging breaks - so 14.5 hours + begging time - run twice over the weekend)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not the longest film I've seen, but the longest single shot (and an amazing film - and accompanying making of documentary) Ive ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Quote:
It was filmed using a single 96-minute Steadicam sequence shot.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched Yentl in the theater ... as I recall it lasted 3 days.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 04:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
Courageous man.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 06:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok, I'll back off, switch gears, and agree I'll choose to see it, once it goes to netflix.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 06:04 pm
@Roberta,
I saw it, but remember nothing. Eric Rohmer? (I tend to remember directors before I remember plotting, etc.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Shoah.

Many hours, eight? We left before the end because of our pal's needs. I think it ran nine hours.

Major film.

She says, drily.

Major film, eh? I long ago noticed that every novel that was made into a movie gets billed on the paperback edition as "A Major Motion Picture". Not one has just said "They made it into a movie".
rosborne979

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 07:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Lord of The Rings trilogy.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 07:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Russian Ark is a masterpiece! The whole film is reportedly one long tracking shot and one long take.

It's a great time traveler's film. One of my favorites and I own the DVD as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 07:09 pm
@roger,
Major film to me.
0 Replies