Duped by the Capitalists II -- The George Foreman Grill

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
I went to college with a very conservative girl who went around discussing politics (she would have been a member of the John Birch Society but her mother advised her against it as she was planning a military career) and always told her opponents, "You've been duped by the communists!"

Well, there are some things we use or buy that are so stupid, I think, "You've been duped by the capitalists."

This fall, a letter writer accosted Gourmet magazine for writing in June that the mag did not understand the George Foreman Grill.

Neither do I. It's a panini machine, recast in plastic and they break.

The writer said it is a treat to come home from work and quickly prepare a simple meal.

Can't you do the same thing in a fry pan?

What's wrong with keeping grilling a summer time treat? Why make it ordinary by making it year round?

Why do people insist on making life complicated and cluttered with duplications of what they already have?

I wonder how many own both a foreman grill and a panini machine.

BTW, loved the Letterman bit on the foreman grill which came in a package with the Mitch "Blood" Greene yogurt maker. A common sense!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,012 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
What is a panini maker?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:45 pm
now now, in order for a panini machine to morph into a G Foreman grill, you have to prop the back legs up about an inch so all the grease runs out on the counter top.
Ive had this exact thought when I saw a G Foreman in a store. I said to myself
Who the hell is gonna be stupid enough to get one of these? my mom got me one for a gift when she came down to visit us. I made all kinds of wow noises , as if I really wanted it. Then we regifted it. I think its out there being on the regift circuit for 3 years.

How bout the SET IT AND FORGET IT chicken spinner?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:51 pm
RONCO or bust???????
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
Hmmm. Not getting updates again.

Deb,
A panini grill is a small electric appliance, similiar to a waffle maker with a pair of grills marked by raised ridges rather than a grid. Panini are grilled, Italian sandwiches, similiar to grilled cheese but usually with a savory dressing of somekind, made by weighting the sandwich in a pan.

Ronco is right. It is amazing how many multiples there are for the same task. After chopping veggies, I swoop them up between my hands or along the blade of the knife. There is now a scoop for this! Silly!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Oh yeah, the Foreman grill is a ridiculous item. I own a grill pan which cost less, and does the same job. Better, actually. I have it mainly because they don't allow barbeques in our building, and to take to jobs when something needs to appear grilled (and it does give a nice BBQ-style char) and they also do not have barbeques.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:01 pm
I know no one who has actually bought a GF Grill and wonder how so many have sold.

I had the sandwich thing years before that-same concept-and it broke pretty easy, so...no GFG for me....I can do that myself..yeah.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:32 pm
I use my waffle iron with interchangeable plates for everything - grilling chicken and fish, bacon and eggs, burgers, grilled sandwiches, and of course waffles. Virtually no plastic parts and I worship that little machine. Opened out, it makes a nice big breakfast griddle - and best of all, the plates go in the dishwasher. The George Foreman is a bit prettier, but that's about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:38 pm
A frying pan certainly doesn't have the same attractive grill marks (for people who like those).

One of my favourite time savers is to wrap bacon around boneless, skinless chicken breast and then cook it in the waffle iron. The bacon flavour is right through the chicken, the grease has fallen down into the grid, and when it's cooled and sliced, it's the main part of a really easy club sandwich or grilled chicken caesar.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:17 pm
ehBeth wrote:
George Foreman is a bit prettier

than who? Mike Tyson?

- - - - - - - - - - -

So... do they sell the grill at Williams Sonoma?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 09:40 am
EhBeth -- You're lucky to have a waffle iron with interchangeable grills -- those things seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur. People want them because they are easier to clean and because the extra grills are easier to store than duplicating machines. But you know American industry. Buy, buy, buy. Your' s is probably a Canadian machine.

There are grill pans generally made with non-stick surfaces that have the raised ridges to make marks on food. You can purchase weights of different materials (another traditional Italian item) to put on the food to press it down. This works better than the panini grill or the George Foreman because the thickness of the food doesn't matter and you can use it in doors on the stove or outside on the grill.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:39 am
plainoldme - the waffle iron with interchangeable grill plates is fairly new. i begged to get one for christmas a couple of years back. it's part of that series of 'retro' kitchen appliances that came out 4 or 5 years ago. lovely and shiny and heavy. the one i have is of course made in canada, but it is available in the u.s.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:02 pm
I did have a sandwich press for a short while. It was actually quite nice for making grilled cheese and tuna (a specialty). These days, though, I tend to make them four at a time to feed the whole crew... hot off the griddle.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
I just grill out on the deck...year round...ahhh the south...
0 Replies