Noise in my head threatening to cause rupture

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 07:02 am
No easy answer to this one Snood. Being a teacher in a den of ignorance is a difficult position. Have strength and leave the light on.

I see the same thing here in South Carolina and it's hard to understand some of the attitudes, but shining the light on ignorance is the only way to remove it.

Fear is hard to fight.
snood

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:57 pm
Just wanted to say a hearty thank you to all who posted about this. As is often the case, A2K'ers were a great sounding board and source of feedback for me. I will keep you posted about how the saga unfolds...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 01:05 pm
@snood,
Seems these folks are under the same misapprehension as the folks who think women deserve to be raped because of their clothing.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
This is yet another example of institutionalised religious bigotry with the usual unsurprising religious source. This won't end until the authority of the bible, which is clearly anti-gay no matter how hard you try to interpret otherwise, is overthrown. That's quite a task for you Snood.
When your country has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in law, you know you've got a long road ahead.

snood

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 10:01 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

This is yet another example of institutionalised religious bigotry with the usual unsurprising religious source. This won't end until the authority of the bible, which is clearly anti-gay no matter how hard you try to interpret otherwise, is overthrown. That's quite a task for you Snood.
When your country has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in law, you know you've got a long road ahead.

Well it's not exactly just my task - which is good. I'm not so deluded about my own importance or power to influence that I think I'm going to singlehandedly move a mountain all by myself that the whole world is still struggling with. I just have to be true to myself, try to do the next right thing, and choose my battles as wisely as I can. As long as I can have some kind of positive presence in the bullied kids lives, I am still in the fight.
Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
If these boys (or girls) are getting regularly tormented because of a sexual orientation they cannot help and did not choose, and we don’t directly confront it for exactly what it is, it is my opinion that we are participating in an evil for which there is no excuse.

Sorry good grown-ups like you are so helpless against this tide of bigotry. And, thanks for trying.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2010 10:18 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I'm not so deluded about my own importance or power to influence that I think I'm going to singlehandedly move a mountain all by myself that the whole world is still struggling with.

Hm... I think many people might be better off if you were a bit delusional. Sometimes one man can sway the whole crowd, but there tends to be a price to pay. Perhaps that is an underlying issue here, if I can suggest it without prying too far.
snood

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:32 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
I'm not so deluded about my own importance or power to influence that I think I'm going to singlehandedly move a mountain all by myself that the whole world is still struggling with.

Hm... I think many people might be better off if you were a bit delusional. Sometimes one man can sway the whole crowd, but there tends to be a price to pay. Perhaps that is an underlying issue here, if I can suggest it without prying too far.

If you read the entire thread you'll see that you needn't have 'suggested' it, and it isn't 'underlying' - the risk has been clearly stated. I have to push against the prevailing attitudes, but I can't push so hard that I defeat the purpose by forever alienating people who unfortunately can make or break this internship. I can make a grand display of rebellion and get labeled and effectively neutralized, or I can choose battles, gain allies and try to make progress.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:34 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

No easy answer to this one Snood. Being a teacher in a den of ignorance is a difficult position. Have strength and leave the light on.

I see the same thing here in South Carolina and it's hard to understand some of the attitudes, but shining the light on ignorance is the only way to remove it.

Fear is hard to fight.

You know IRFRANK, I have heard that about South Carolina, but never had anyone actually there tell me it's so.
IRFRANK

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 05:33 pm
@snood,
"You know IRFRANK, I have heard that about South Carolina, but never had anyone actually there tell me it's so. "

I don't mean to single out SC, but I guess I did. I just happen to live here. There are bigots and people with ignorant attitudes based upon fear everywhere. There are many good people here too. We are the bible belt though.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:55 am
Dunno if people have already seen this -

I'm glad we have a prez who cares enough to do stuff like this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:04 am
Yeah - that whole "It gets Better" initiative keeps getting more and more people involved. I think it's a very good thing, to try to provide some reason for those kids to hope.
chai2

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 01:04 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Yeah - that whole "It gets Better" initiative keeps getting more and more people involved. I think it's a very good thing, to try to provide some reason for those kids to hope.

Not just for gay kids, for all kids that have ever felt bullied.
0 Replies