Fire sale: Fire Department lets home burn over $75.00 fee.

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
But nobody's talking about people paying for insurance when the need arises. We are ALL talking about paying for services when the need arises. Your argument relies on the assertion that the $75 fee makes the fire services into fire protection insurance, but that's not true.

No, but when the fire department is run like an insurance scheme, the difference is largely immaterial. This may be instructive:

Quote:
Fire services are like insurance and if you only charge for them after the fact, you have the classic adverse selection problem. Few will buy the service until they desperately need it.

That's pretty much my entire point.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Your continual claim that insurance and service are in fact the same thing is simply incorrect.

It's true: you really don't know what insurance is. Let me explain. If I buy insurance to cover my medical expenses, then I expect, whenever I incur medical expenses, that the insurance company will pay. Similarly, if I buy insurance to protect my home from fire, then, whenever my house catches on fire, I expect the insurance company to fight that fire. You seem to think that insurance companies only pay, like in the first example, but that's simply not true. Sometimes they provide services (I linked to a story in a previous post -- did you miss that?). And if I buy a policy that provides a service as part of its coverage, then that's what I've bought.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not only that, but your original post in the thread seemed to suggest that the firefighters did the right thing; that under the model of their business, they were justified and correct to let the home burn down.

Did I suggest that? I'm sorry, I meant to say that explicitly. Of course the firefighters did the right thing by letting that house burn down.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I cannot agree with this position for several reasons, but the most important one would be that it is never morally or ethically correct to take advantage of a technicality at the expense of someone's livelihood, in order to gain more customers for one's business.

You can't be serious.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is entirely akin to a doctor simply letting someone die because they don't have the money to pay for the bill right now; and even WORSE, letting them die even though they DO have the money to pay, as an example to other 'freeloaders.'

If medical services were provided on the same basis as fire services in Obion County, I don't see why there would be a difference. Doctors, in that instance, would be entirely justified in denying care to a non-subscriber, just as the fire department was justified in not providing firefighting services to Mr. Cranick. But then medical services aren't provided on the same basis as those fire services, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good out-of-the-box thinking.

BBB
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:28 pm
@joefromchicago,
I guess the entire discussion boils down to this:

Quote:

Did I suggest that? I'm sorry, I meant to say that explicitly. Of course the firefighters did the right thing by letting that house burn down.

Doctors, in that instance, would be entirely justified in denying care to a non-subscriber, just as the fire department was justified in not providing firefighting services to Mr. Cranick.

You are perfectly incorrect. They may be legally justified, but they certainly are not morally or ethically justified in doing so, in either case. Both cases represent a loss with no gain to anybody, in the name of an ideology which isn't workable in real life.

If these represent your true beliefs - that monetary obligation and legal technicalities trump all other questions of morality in instances of emergency- then I'm sorry for you, Joe. This is antithetical to the concept of community and the American ideal.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

This whole scenario begs the question of what that fire department's response would be to a reported car fire on the highway if someone's out-of-town car catches fire. Would they not put it out because the vehicle owner isn't a local and hasn't paid the fee? If they would put it out, what's different between the two scenarios?

Excellent question!

Not only that, but fire itself is an inherently dangerous and uncontrollable event. Fires can spread in a variety of ways, not predictable in many cases even by professionals. The idea that we can let houses selectively burn, without opening up other residences or properties to damage, is a dangerous gamble that benefits nobody.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 04:05 pm
I haven't read all of the posts, so if I repeat something already posted, my apologies. I saw the homeowner last night on one of the networks and later learned that there were animals in the house that perished. I wonder if anyone would be defending this incredible tale if children or a whole family had been destroyed by the fire.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 04:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I guess the entire discussion boils down to this:

Quote:

Doctors, in that instance, would be entirely justified in denying care to a non-subscriber, just as the fire department was justified in not providing firefighting services to Mr. Cranick.

You are perfectly incorrect.

No, I'm correct. You may have missed that, however, because you left out my proviso: "If medical services were provided on the same basis as fire services in Obion County, I don't see why there would be a difference." In that hypothetical situation, a doctor would be justified in refusing to render medical services to a non-subscriber.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
They may be legally justified, but they certainly are not morally or ethically justified in doing so, in either case. Both cases represent a loss with no gain to anybody, in the name of an ideology which isn't workable in real life.

Which ideology is that? Democracy? The voters of Obion County decided that they wanted a "pay-to-spray" type of fire service for residents outside the municipal boundaries. Mr. Cranick, presumably, was bound by the decision of the majority of voters, just as he is bound by the decision of the majority with regard to all sorts of other political decisions. He is now complaining that the consequences of the majority's decision to have a "pay-to-spray" fire department, combined with his own decision to forgo paying the fee, are somehow "unfair." Under those circumstances, however, I'm not sure why we should extend any more sympathy to Mr. Cranick than to a common criminal who claims that it's unfair to arrest him just because he decided to break the law.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
If these represent your true beliefs - that monetary obligation and legal technicalities trump all other questions of morality in instances of emergency- then I'm sorry for you, Joe. This is antithetical to the concept of community and the American ideal.

No, those do not represent my true beliefs, they represent your comical mischaracterization of my beliefs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 05:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

No, those do not represent my true beliefs, they represent your comical mischaracterization of my beliefs.

I don't see any meaningful difference between the two. You advocate that in a system which is set up to only provide services to those who pay in advance, people who didn't pay in advance should be left to suffer their fates. That we are not allowed to judge morality or ethics independent of the system in which we are operating, whether that system is fair or not. Correct? If not, why don't you tell me the difference between my statement and your opinion re: what should have been done in this matter or related matters.

My entire point is that there are moments when the right thing should be done regardless of the rules. We don't base morality on a technical following of the rules, but instead on situational judgments of right and wrong. It is impossible to me to believe that a technical reading of a rule is justification for allowing someone's house to burn down - and to kill pets stuck inside - or someone to pass away from a lack of emergency medical service. I cannot understand the mindset that would insist that these are correct decisions, for it is one that places technical factors of the Law above any and all other human concerns.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

failures art wrote:
My point is that the fire department is not analogous to the insurance company but rather the doctor.

Well, when you run the fire department like an insurance company, then it follows that the fire department is more like an insurance company than a doctor. Now, I'm not saying that fire departments should be run like insurance companies, just that, if they are run like insurance companies, then we should expect these kinds of scenarios.

You're correct, and we should expect this. Certainly this is how things once were, so we have no excuse to know that this is the product of such idiocy. Egad, this is frustrating. What excuse does this community have to not know that this was the inevitable and unnecessary dilemma that comes from this, and that while they watched their neighbor's home, and photos, and pets burn. The idea that one day they would have to literally find reasons to not help someone begging.

What does one recite in their head to stop themselves from helping. I don't envy the firefighters who will have to wrestle with their conscience and beg it to be quiet. It will be hard to reason with guilt by trying to bribe it with fiscal sensibilities.

A
R
T
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 06:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't see any meaningful difference between the two. You advocate that in a system which is set up to only provide services to those who pay in advance, people who didn't pay in advance should be left to suffer their fates. That we are not allowed to judge morality or ethics independent of the system in which we are operating, whether that system is fair or not. Correct?

Sure, I'd agree with that. But then that's not what you said before.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
If not, why don't you tell me the difference between my statement and your opinion re: what should have been done in this matter or related matters.

Here's what you wrote:

earlier, Cycloptichorn wrote:
monetary obligation and legal technicalities trump all other questions of morality in instances of emergency

First of all, I dispute the term "legal technicalities." If you think that a law, passed in accordance with the proper legislative process, is some sort of "technicality," you'll have to explain that to me.

Second, I don't think monetary considerations or "legal technicalities" trump questions of morality in all instances of emergency. Really, that's just laughable -- and you accuse me of appealing to extremes. We're discussing a particular situation involving the duties of professionals. Those duties are dictated by the nature of the profession. I don't see how it could be otherwise. A doctor, for instance, is not obligated to stop and assist everyone on the road who has a flat tire just because she's a doctor. Similarly, I am not convinced that a firefighter is obligated to fight every fire that he runs across just because he's a firefighter. In the case of Obion County, the citizens have decided that firefighters will only fight certain fires. If a fire doesn't fall within that category, then whence does the obligation to fight it arise? Is there some sort of "firefighter's code" that obliges a firefighter to turn on the hose, no matter what? I am not familiar with such a code.
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 04:03 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
earlier, Cycloptichorn wrote:
monetary obligation and legal technicalities trump all other questions of morality in instances of emergency

First of all, I dispute the term "legal technicalities." If you think that a law, passed in accordance with the proper legislative process, is some sort of "technicality," you'll have to explain that to me.

Second, I don't think monetary considerations or "legal technicalities" trump questions of morality in all instances of emergency. Really, that's just laughable -- and you accuse me of appealing to extremes. We're discussing a particular situation involving the duties of professionals. Those duties are dictated by the nature of the profession. ...

This is a brilliant summation of the 2 principal points made by Justice Roberts in the recent SEC (PCAOB) case. Cycl is oblivious to both - as was Justice Breyer in his dissent. These same 2 points will - I hope - bury Health Care Reform and most other Obama-era legislation. Quoting Breyers: "Unless today's principle of constitutional law is cabined, it can become virulent, running like a computer virus through the halls of government."

Justice Breyers seems to think that would be an undesirable outcome - I can't imagine why Smile
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 04:20 am
@High Seas,
P.S.Article on Breyer and his dissent in PCAOB case in new New Yorker (see google cache, original requires subscription) worth reading in its entirety.
Quote:
..A conservative group, the Free Enterprise
Fund, filed a suit arguing that the struc-
ture of the PCAOB was unconstitutional,
because its members could be removed
only by the S.E.C., and not by the Presi-
dent. In an opinion by the Chief Justice,
for the customary five-to-four majority,
the Court agreed.
To Breyer, the stakes in the case were
immense, because the framework of the
PCAOB was similar to that of many other
components of the contemporary ad-
ministrative state—“the Federal Trade
Commission, the Federal Communica-
tions Commission, the Social Security
Administration, including also more
than fifteen hundred administrative law
judges, and including as well most of the
military officer corps.” The decision put
the actions of all these administrators at
legal risk........................In the majority
opinion, Roberts wrote, with customary
élan, “One can have a government that
functions without being ruled by func-
tionaries, and a government that benefits
from expertise without being ruled by
experts”—a sentiment that could have
served as a Republican talking point in the
health-care debate. The Chief Justice
went on, “The growth of the Executive
Branch, which now wields vast power and
touches almost every aspect of daily life,
heightens the concern that it may slip
from the Executive’s control, and thus
from that of the people. This concern is
largely absent from the dissent’s paean to
the administrative state.”
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 04:41 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I haven't read all of the posts, so if I repeat something already posted, my apologies. I saw the homeowner last night on one of the networks and later learned that there were animals in the house that perished. I wonder if anyone would be defending this incredible tale if children or a whole family had been destroyed by the fire.

That's the first thing that struck me about this story also - the homeowner got everybody out of the house except for three dogs and a cat. He left these pitiful animals burn alive, being too busy arguing with the fire department. I certainly hope he gets prosecuted criminally for animal cruelty.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 08:39 am
@High Seas,
The cat apparently didn't pay the $75 either.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 08:42 am
@High Seas,
Wow, really. The guy loses his house and you want to charge him with abuse. How do you know that the fire wasn't too hot for him to get anywhere near the house?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:11 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
[ Is there some sort of "firefighter's code" that obliges a firefighter to turn on the hose, no matter what? I am not familiar with such a code.

well, yeah

they seem to be a bit variable by jurisdiction

however

http://www.affi-iaff.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=64489&page=About20the20AFFI

Quote:
Firefighter Code of Ethics
The International Association of Fire Fighters, in its Manual of Common Procedure and Related Subjects, contains this code which helps union firefighters uniformly remember their career mission and goals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a firefighter and member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, my fundamental duty is to serve humanity; to safeguard and preserve life and property against the elements of fire and disaster; and maintain a proficiency in the art and science of fire engineering.

I will uphold the standards of my profession, continually search for new and improved methods and share my knowledge and skills with my contemporaries and descendants.

I will never allow personal feelings, nor danger to self, deter me from my responsibilities as a firefighter.

I will at all times, respect the property and rights of all men and women, the laws of my community and my country, and the chosen way of life of my fellow citizens.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the fire service. I will constantly strive to achieve the objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen profession--saving of life, fire prevention and fire suppression.

As a member of the International Association of Fire Fighters, I accept this self-imposed and self-enforced obligation as my responsibility.

the "laws of my community" seem to trump the "property and rights of all men and women" in this case
dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:20 am
@ehBeth,
I'd abide by that code but... well.... i forgot to pay my membership fee.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:35 am
Just as I predicted, people are donating to the Cranick family to help pay for a new house. MSNBC's Keith Olbermann is facilitating the effort. ---BBB

Donations to Cranick Fire Fund

Regular mail: Gene or Mildred Paulette Cranick Special Account c/o Heritage Bank P.O. Box 1410 Fulton, Ky. 42041or Donate at PayPal.com to [email protected]
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
Evidently this has happened a couple of times. In 2008 the County looked into how to make sure everyone had fire service coverage.

http://troy.troytn.com/Obion%20County%20Fire%20Department%20Presentation%20Presented%20to%20the%20County%20Commission.pdf

Down around page 20, you can see that they came up with several scenarios based on the population and number of households. One solution was to add $3 per month to each persons electric meter reading. Another was, divided over the population/households, adding 13 cents to property tax bills.

I read in one article that the above property tax solution was implemented, but then repealed by republicans due to not wanting taxes to increase on their watch.

I have been unable to clarify or document whether or not it ever took effect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the "laws of my community" seem to trump the "property and rights of all men and women" in this case

I have no idea what that code obligates a firefighter to do, not just in this situation but in any situation. "I will at all times, respect ... the chosen way of life of my fellow citizens." What does that mean?

In any event, there's nothing in there that would seem to obligate the firefighters in this scenario to fight Mr. Cranick's house fire. If the Obion County citizens want their fire department to be available on a subscription basis, then it follows that the service should be available to subscribers only.
squinney

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm
Also note that, with the current system, the county residents served by the South Fulton city fire department are required to pay a $75 subscription. Everyone outside of the city limits pays that if they want firefighters to respond.

BUT, if you call for the fire department, your name IS on the list, and they respond, you owe an additional $500.

The fire chief put out a statement saying the $75 is like insurance and the $500 is the deductible.
0 Replies