Fire sale: Fire Department lets home burn over $75.00 fee.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I expect that a fund will be set up to receive donations to help the owner replace his home. I wouldn't be surprised if people replaced the grandchildren's three dogs and one cat that will killed in the fire.

This will demonstrate community instead of Ayn Rand's ideas about individualism.

BBB

Aaargh, animals were killed?!!! I didn't know!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
People often pay for services in advance of actually needing them, out of prudence.

Indeed they do -- when they don't have the option of paying for those services in the event that they need them.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion. Medical insurance works the same way - you are highly unlikely to get sick or injured in any single year - yet the vast majority of people desire and pay for the insurance anyway. Your theory says that this shouldn't be happening, but it clearly is.

No, your theory says that this shouldn't be happening, because your theory allows for people to buy insurance when they get sick, just as you think Mr. Crainick should be allowed to pay for fire services whenever he has a fire. That's the unrealistic scenario here.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion, see above. This is not born out by real-world examples - only by your theories.

See above.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, you are appealing to extremes. Nobody proposed a system in which only those whose houses are on fire pay, but that's what you are arguing would exist if people aren't forced to watch their house burn down. Reality doesn't support this, however - just your theory.

I'm not sure how my theorizing is a whole lot different from your theorizing about a scenario where people can pay for fire services whenever they have a fire, except that my theorizing is much more reasonable.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Neither am I. However, your original post seems to posit that the FD did the correct thing by allowing his house to burn down. They did not do the correct thing, morally or ethically, and certainly not financially; they could have set up a system to fully cover their costs while ensuring that houses don't burn down.

Of course the fire department did the correct thing. If it allowed an exception for Mr. Crainick, it would have had to allow an exception for everyone else. That would have spelled an end for the fire department, since everyone would have simply emulated Mr. Crainick's example. In this case, the rule was much more important than the house.
squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:12 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I think this is a perfect example to discuss the ideological debate splitting the country. If enough folks want this kind of individualist pay-as-you-go society (or lack of "society") and vote accordingly then this is precisely what we'll get. I don't have any problem with people really wanting to live like this - just don't complain when something happens that isn't the way you wanted it to be.

Why did he assume they'd put it out?

I agree this is a perfect example of the idealogical debate splitting the country. I think it goes right to the heart of what kind of country we want to be. Do we want to arrive at a hospital with a gunshot wound and be turned away due to lack of insurance, even when it is not affordable? Or, do we want to be treated? If I have insurance and you don't, do I want you to be treated? If you are a wealthy person with insurance denying me treatment, how long before my resentment causes a backlash against you?

There are MANY who want this to be the arrangement for fire service, medical care, police coverage, etc., and at the same time want more people to carry guns, and to limit how much you can receive through the courts when wronged.

That isn't the country I want.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:18 pm
@squinney,
"That isn't the country I want."

This is why I've always liked and admired you.

BBB
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
People often pay for services in advance of actually needing them, out of prudence.

Indeed they do -- when they don't have the option of paying for those services in the event that they need them.

You misunderstand. People often pay in advance even when they have the option of paying for the services when they need them. This is exactly the case with medical insurance - you can always pay cash for your bills, but it's far cheaper to buy the insurance, even though there's a huge chance you won't need it. I posit the same for the fire services.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion. Medical insurance works the same way - you are highly unlikely to get sick or injured in any single year - yet the vast majority of people desire and pay for the insurance anyway. Your theory says that this shouldn't be happening, but it clearly is.

No, your theory says that this shouldn't be happening, because your theory allows for people to buy insurance when they get sick, just as you think Mr. Crainick should be allowed to pay for fire services whenever he has a fire. That's the unrealistic scenario here.

No, my theory said nothing about allowing people to buy insurance after they need it. My theory does allow for them to pay for their medical bills in cash.

My theory called for charging a large and punitive rate for paying for services on the spot, instead of in advance. This is a strong deterrent for waiting until you need the service to pay for it, and it has the added bonus of avoiding a large loss of property and value for the entire community.

Not only that, but you are conflating Insurance with Cost. It's not the same thing. I said nothing about allowing the people with a house on fire to buy fire insurance.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Assertion, see above. This is not born out by real-world examples - only by your theories.
See above.

I did - you were incorrect there.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, you are appealing to extremes. Nobody proposed a system in which only those whose houses are on fire pay, but that's what you are arguing would exist if people aren't forced to watch their house burn down. Reality doesn't support this, however - just your theory.

I'm not sure how my theorizing is a whole lot different from your theorizing about a scenario where people can pay for fire services whenever they have a fire, except that my theorizing is much more reasonable.

It isn't more reasonable, because real-world experience shows us that people do not act in the way that you assert they will. In short, your Game Theory example doesn't hold up to reality.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Neither am I. However, your original post seems to posit that the FD did the correct thing by allowing his house to burn down. They did not do the correct thing, morally or ethically, and certainly not financially; they could have set up a system to fully cover their costs while ensuring that houses don't burn down.

Of course the fire department did the correct thing. If it allowed an exception for Mr. Crainick, it would have had to allow an exception for everyone else.

An expensive exception - one that likely would profit the FD. I don't think they would care too much if more people chose to pay them higher rates - they would be servicing those same fires in any case, for less money!

Quote:
That would have spelled an end for the fire department, since everyone would have simply emulated Mr. Crainick's example.

No, they wouldn't have. This is simply a false assertion on your part which is not born out by the reality of our experiences with other forms of insurance.

Not only that, but your situation is so far away from reality as to not match what we were describing at all. The FD in question didn't rely upon the $75 fees for its existence. The FD in question was paid for out of local town tax funds in a neighboring town. The $75 was for extended service to outlying areas. So, no; charging people in outlying areas on the spot wouldn't have put an end to the FD in any fashion.

This is what I mean when I say that the ideological situation you posit doesn't match reality: it really doesn't. I'm sure there's some perfect simulacra of a libertarian FD in your head, but that's not what we are talking about at all.

Quote:
In this case, the rule was much more important than the house.

It most certainly was not. The FD profitted in no way by not putting out the fire; hell, they even had people on the scene! They were paying for them to be out there in any rate! No money was saved, by anyone, for letting the house burn down, and no greater point was proven to anyone - other than that Libertarians are some of the biggest dicks out there.

I must say, for a sharp guy, you haven't thought this one out very well.

Cycloptichorn
Ceili

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:27 pm
This reminds me of idiots who ski out of bounds in avalanche prone back country. There are signs and literature, past examples of bad behaviour and plenty of deaths to promotes following the rules, and yet... every year people ski and ski-doo in areas they shouldn't, get buried or get lost.
They aren't denied rescue but if they are pulled out alive they pay the whole rescue bill and a myriad of fines. If you drive without insurance and you get into an accident, you pay the bill out of pocket. The police, ambulance, hospital and so on are there to help but once it's said and done, the uninsured person will have fines and fees presented to him/her soon after.
Letting a persons home burn to the ground for a $75 is retarded. Backward thinking at it's worst.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:30 pm
@Ceili,
Yes! That's called community instead of.....survival of the fittest.

BBB

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:31 pm
@squinney,
Me neither.

cyclo wrote:

Not really. The vast majority of people with insurance get it through their employment or the government. The vast majority of people who have to pay the cost themselves are uninsured.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:32 pm
@JPB,
Good point!

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:33 pm
It will be interesting to see how his homeowner's insurance policy plays into all this. When the huge claim is filed, will they pay it or sue both the homeowner and town for negligence?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:34 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Me neither.

cyclo wrote:

Not really. The vast majority of people with insurance get it through their employment or the government. The vast majority of people who have to pay the cost themselves are uninsured.

The majority of people demand it as a condition of employment; it is part of their compensation by any assessment you choose to use. Additionally, the system has been rigged so that it is unaffordable when bought individually, creating a situation where it is difficult for those who aren't employed by someone to get it. So your point doesn't invalidate mine.

At the end of the day, 80%+ of Americans carry health insurance and they aren't just getting it for free. I think it's clear that my point stands: the vast majority of people don't wait to get sick before securing health insurance, which is contrary to the Libertarian theory.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

It will be interesting to see how his homeowner's insurance policy plays into all this. When the huge claim is filed, will they pay it or sue both the homeowner and town for negligence?

From the OP

Quote:
Cranick, who is now living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home.

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

Doesn't mean they won't try to recoup their payout, but I don't see how they can sue either one for negligence.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The majority of people demand it (insurance) as a condition of employment; it is part of their compensation by any assessment you choose to use.

Cycloptichorn

Really?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The majority of people demand it (insurance) as a condition of employment; it is part of their compensation by any assessment you choose to use.

Cycloptichorn

Really?

According to statistics, yes.

Most adults wouldn't consider a job that didn't provide health insurance unless they cannot find one that does. And the cost of medical insurance is regularly used in calculating the total compensation for employees.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
bullshit.

right now most adults are happy to be employed.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

bullshit.

right now most adults are happy to be employed.

Because of the scarcity of jobs, they can't get ones that do offer health insurance. So when I said this,

Quote:
Most adults wouldn't consider a job that didn't provide health insurance unless they cannot find one that does.

It wasn't contradicted by your statement at all.

History and statistics both show that when there are available jobs, people will choose those that offer health insurance time and time again.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
so we're just talking theory then...?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:48 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

so we're just talking theory then...?

You guys might be. I'm talking about history and observable statistics, which show that people in many cases DO choose to voluntarily pay in advance of need, due to the cost savings.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think you need to visit Kentucky.
engineer

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
My theory called for charging a large and punitive rate for paying for services on the spot, instead of in advance. This is a strong deterrent for waiting until you need the service to pay for it, and it has the added bonus of avoiding a large loss of property and value for the entire community.

I calculated $25K earlier. I think that would work. If you hadn't paid the $75, and you need the fire department, you pay $25K based on the standard fee ($75) divided by the probablity of a significant house fire (1/300 per year) and a 10% penalty.