Fire sale: Fire Department lets home burn over $75.00 fee.

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:51 pm
@Rockhead,
or Tennessee, apparently.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You misunderstand. People often pay in advance even when they have the option of paying for the services when they need them. This is exactly the case with medical insurance - you can always pay cash for your bills, but it's far cheaper to buy the insurance, even though there's a huge chance you won't need it. I posit the same for the fire services.

Well, paying a fee for the fire service is pretty much the same thing as paying an insurance premium for the fire service. That is how fire departments were initially run, as adjuncts to insurance companies. The theory's the same.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, my theory said nothing about allowing people to buy insurance after they need it. My theory does allow for them to pay for their medical bills in cash.

Again, the fire service fee is the equivalent of an insurance premium. If the fire department were run on a cash basis, then there would be no reason to charge the fee in the first place. There's no reason to think that the cost of a fire call is $75, and that everyone is paying up front for future services. It's clearly an insurance scheme, whether they call it that or not.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
My theory called for charging a large and punitive rate for paying for services on the spot, instead of in advance. This is a strong deterrent for waiting until you need the service to pay for it, and it has the added bonus of avoiding a large loss of property and value for the entire community.

Your deterrent wasn't deterrent enough. That was my point. In order to make it sufficiently deterrent, you'd have to charge something like $25,000, as engineer explained. But then, instead of Mr. Crainick complaining that the fire department wouldn't put out his fire for want of the $75 fee, he'd be complaining that they wouldn't put out the fire because he couldn't fork over $25K, and then there'd be the inevitable hand-wringing about how it's not fair that Mr. Crainick should have to watch his house burn down because he didn't have $25K. I fail to see the difference.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not only that, but you are conflating Insurance with Cost. It's not the same thing. I said nothing about allowing the people with a house on fire to buy fire insurance.

In this case, it's pretty much the same thing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It isn't more reasonable, because real-world experience shows us that people do not act in the way that you assert they will. In short, your Game Theory example doesn't hold up to reality.

Real-world experience is based on the real world, not the world that you're imagining. That's my point.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
An expensive exception - one that likely would profit the FD. I don't think they would care too much if more people chose to pay them higher rates - they would be servicing those same fires in any case, for less money!

But there wouldn't be a fire department to collect all those profits.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, they wouldn't have. This is simply a false assertion on your part which is not born out by the reality of our experiences with other forms of insurance.

Again, you base your assertions on the way the world works now, not on the way the world would work under your theory.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not only that, but your situation is so far away from reality as to not match what we were describing at all. The FD in question didn't rely upon the $75 fees for its existence. The FD in question was paid for out of local town tax funds in a neighboring town. The $75 was for extended service to outlying areas. So, no; charging people in outlying areas on the spot wouldn't have put an end to the FD in any fashion.

Assertion (hey, that's fun!). You don't know how much it costs the fire department to extend its service to outlying homes. For all you know, it costs an average of $75, which would mean that, absent the fee, there would be no fire service extended to those people who live outside the town limits. And it really wouldn't matter to them whether the fire department didn't exist or just didn't offer its services to them -- the result would be exactly the same.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is what I mean when I say that the ideological situation you posit doesn't match reality: it really doesn't. I'm sure there's some perfect simulacra of a libertarian FD in your head, but that's not what we are talking about at all.

Of course it is. We have a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Coincidentally, it happens to be this example.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It most certainly was not. The FD profitted in no way by not putting out the fire; hell, they even had people on the scene! They were paying for them to be out there in any rate! No money was saved, by anyone, for letting the house burn down, and no greater point was proven to anyone - other than that Libertarians are some of the biggest dicks out there.

The fire department responded to the neighbor's 911 call -- the neighbors who actually had the foresight to pay the $75 fee. So the fire department was doing its job-- protecting the homes of people who paid the fee. As for libertarians being dicks, I think that's a point upon which we can concur.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I must say, for a sharp guy, you haven't thought this one out very well.

I could say the same.
failures art

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

failures art wrote:

Insurance companies don't treat patients, doctors and nurses do. Insurance companies pay doctors and hospitals.

True. Your point?

My point is that the fire department is not analogous to the insurance company but rather the doctor. The fire department's action should be autonomous of the fee associated. I'd much rather the opposite problem you describe. That problem is far far far better.

They should not be a gatekeeper on such a vital service. There shouldn't be a gate at all. Access should not be denied.

joefromchicago wrote:

failures art wrote:
The fire department does have an ethical obligation here, and if fulfilling their ethical obligation despite the lack of payment encourages others under this system to stop paying, then the point should be that the current system doesn't work.

I'm not convinced that the fire department has an ethical obligation here. And the system works fine -- except, of course, for people like Mr. Crainick who don't pay the $75 fee and whose houses burn down. That's where the system sorta' breaks down.

Mr. Cranick is certainly a part of the problem, but let's not run away with this.

joefromchicago wrote:

failures art wrote:
While you have a point that the FD is offering a service to residents that otherwise would have it, the fact that they otherwise wouldn't have it is worth critical address. The idea that this kind of service is in any way optional is present in the policies of the area, and in the homeowner's choice.

Indeed, and, as a member of the community, I'm sure that Mr. Crainick, at some point, must have had the opportunity to express his support or opposition to that policy at the ballot box.

Absolutely, and for that he should be ashamed. Still not a reason to have to watch his house needlessly burn.

joefromchicago wrote:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr. Crainick, before his house burned down, preferred the policy of voluntary payment to one that would have taxed him for the same service. No doubt he would be having second thoughts about that now, but it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

And such should be the lesson for us all to value our public services and appreciate the importance of funding them. It should not take burning down a house and the loss of loved pets for this message to set in. I hope this community reverses their error.
squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:54 pm
Quote:
By Katherine Hobson

The Census Department is out with its annual report on income, poverty and health insurance in the U.S.

On that last front, the headline finding is that the proportion of people without health insurance in the U.S. rose to 16.7% last year from 15.4% in 2008. The 1.5 million drop in the number of insured people — to 253.6 million — represents the first such decline since 1987, when this kind of data began to be collected, the report says.

Other health-insurance nuggets from the report:

The proportion of the population covered by private plans fell to 63.9% from 66.7% in 2008.

The percentage of the population covered by employer-based plans is 55.8% — the lowest since 1987, the first year for which data are available, the government says.

Meantime, the proportion covered by government programs rose to 30.6% (also the highest since 1987) from 29% in 2008. Medicare enrollment was unchanged, but 15.7% of the population is now on Medicaid, compared to 14.1% in 2008.

The percentage of kids under 18 who were uninsured was unchanged at 10%. The uninsured rate for those 65 and up was also unchanged, but a greater proportion of the people in other age groups were uninsured last year. The rate among 18-to-24-year-olds was 30.4%.

By region, northeastern states had the lowest uninsured rate, at 12.4% (still an increase from 2008), followed by the Midwest (13.3%), West (18.3%) and South (19.7%).

Data was reported Sept. 16, 2010
http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/09/16/census-data-show-first-drop-in-us-insured-population-since-1987/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:57 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote:
My theory called for charging a large and punitive rate for paying for services on the spot, instead of in advance. This is a strong deterrent for waiting until you need the service to pay for it, and it has the added bonus of avoiding a large loss of property and value for the entire community.

I calculated $25K earlier. I think that would work. If you hadn't paid the $75, and you need the fire department, you pay $25K based on the standard fee ($75) divided by the probablity of a significant house fire (1/300 per year) and a 10% penalty.

That Fine is fine with me. It still represents a major savings for the homeowner and a major deterrent to not paying your $75.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I think you need to visit Kentucky.

Shocked I just did a spit take.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:04 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

Again, the fire service fee is the equivalent of an insurance premium.

No, it's not. You are 100% incorrect here. Firefighting services are an immediate and urgent need to stop a major problem from continuing and spreading. The cost of each fire call is minimal by any estimation; even at the rate of 20k per call (which we know isn't the case) it's still an order of magnitude cheaper than the amount insurance has to pay...

Insurance is totally different; it pays for the rebuilding and repair costs AFTER an event. I at no time advocated for people to be able to buy INSURANCE to replace their house, after it's on fire.

Fire service fees and insurance premiums have nothing to do with each other, at all. You are twisting words to match your argument.

Quote:

Your deterrent wasn't deterrent enough. That was my point. In order to make it sufficiently deterrent, you'd have to charge something like $25,000, as engineer explained. But then, instead of Mr. Crainick complaining that the fire department wouldn't put out his fire for want of the $75 fee, he'd be complaining that they wouldn't put out the fire because he couldn't fork over $25K, and then there'd be the inevitable hand-wringing about how it's not fair that Mr. Crainick should have to watch his house burn down because he didn't have $25K. I fail to see the difference.

No, you don't want to see the difference. In one case, the guys house burns down and he has zero options, even if he wished to pay an inflated amount, he couldn't. In the other scenario, he's making a business decision and CHOOSING not to. There is a major difference between the two.

Not all complaints are equally valid; you can't posit that a better system cannot be created, because heck, people would just complain about that one, too...

Quote:

Real-world experience is based on the real world, not the world that you're imagining. That's my point.

Mine isn't imaginary. In the real world we see that people quite often pay for insurance in advance of need, even when they have the option of paying at the time of service; which you specifically claimed that they wouldn't do.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:04 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
My point is that the fire department is not analogous to the insurance company but rather the doctor.

Well, when you run the fire department like an insurance company, then it follows that the fire department is more like an insurance company than a doctor. Now, I'm not saying that fire departments should be run like insurance companies, just that, if they are run like insurance companies, then we should expect these kinds of scenarios.

failures art wrote:
Mr. Cranick is certainly a part of the problem, but let's not run away with this.

Of course he's part of the problem.

failures art wrote:
And such should be the lesson for us all to value our public services and appreciate the importance of funding them. It should not take burning down a house and the loss of loved pets for this message to set in. I hope this community reverses their error.

I feel sorry for the pets. They truly are the innocent victims here.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:09 pm
Reading this thread and the argument about insurance is why the depts here in Union County DONT charge a yearly fee.
We simply bill the property owners insurance company, and if they refuse to pay it goes to the county attorney so she can collect for us.

Either way, we get paid.

BTW, I read some of the links posted about people saying it was the homeowners fault, he deserved it, etc.
I can truly say that I have never been so disgusted by people as I was after reading some of those comments.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:12 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:

I can truly say that I have never been so disgusted by people as I was after reading some of those comments.

These are the luminaries of modern Conservative thought, MM. Keep that in mind next time you head to the ballot box: these are the people who run the Republican party, and this is how they would like every single aspect of America to be ran.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Again, you are confusing conservative with republican.

I have said it before, I am a conservative, but I am NOT a republican.
I am not a member of any party.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I refuse to join any political party that would let someone like me join.

I would not call the people on some of those blogs conservatives, but I would call them idiots.

Anyway, I have to go to work, and will continue this discussion when I get home tonite.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Again, the fire service fee is the equivalent of an insurance premium.

No, it's not. You are 100% incorrect here. Firefighting services are an immediate and urgent need to stop a major problem from continuing and spreading. The cost of each fire call is minimal by any estimation; even at the rate of 20k per call (which we know isn't the case) it's still an order of magnitude cheaper than the amount insurance has to pay...

Insurance is totally different; it pays for the rebuilding and repair costs AFTER an event. I at no time advocated for people to be able to buy INSURANCE to replace their house, after it's on fire.

You don't think that you can buy insurance to protect homes against fires? You're wrong. And, as I mentioned before, fire departments were once operated exclusively by insurance companies on a subscriber basis. I'm sorry if you can't comprehend a scenario, like this one, where the fire department is operated as an insurance scheme, but it's quite clear that they do exist.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, you don't want to see the difference. In one case, the guys house burns down and he has zero options, even if he wished to pay an inflated amount, he couldn't. In the other scenario, he's making a business decision and CHOOSING not to. There is a major difference between the two.

Not really. The difference between the guy who doesn't pay his $75 fee and watches his house burn down versus the guy who doesn't have $25k and watches his house burn down is the amount of sympathy that we're willing to extend to each. On the other hand, they both took their chances and they both rolled snake-eyes.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Mine isn't imaginary. In the real world we see that people quite often pay for insurance in advance of need, even when they have the option of paying at the time of service; which you specifically claimed that they wouldn't do.

No, I claimed they wouldn't pay for insurance when the option was available for them to pay for it whenever they needed it. You claim that they would. That's the imaginary world.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:23 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

No, I claimed they wouldn't pay for insurance when the option was available for them to pay for it whenever they needed it. You claim that they would. That's the imaginary world.

People do this constantly in the real world; that's what insurance is. You are conflating 'paying for insurance' with 'paying to get the result people want.' This is a false conflation on your part. You are misusing 'it' in your post above; 'it' is the result, not the method, of delivery.

For example, medical insurance. People pay for years without actually needing the service - and nothing is stopping them for actually paying for the health care out of pocket when a problem arises, and just pocketing and investing the premium monies instead. You specifically stated that most people wouldn't purchase insurance if they knew they could pay for those services later, even at a higher rate. Evidence shows that this is in fact untrue; most people, when given the option, choose to pay a lower rate up front rather than wait for a much, much higher bill later on.

Cycloptichorn
squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:33 pm
@mysteryman,
We have a volunteer fire department and a city / county system. Most of the time the volunteer firefighters arrive first in cases where communities are served by both. I know for a fact that the volunteers wouldn't have stood by no matter the implications legally.

Another example of services offered that many of us assume are going to take care of us: Ambulance.

In my first car accident 21 years ago, a volunteer ambulance service arrived, took care of us and transported me and daughter to the hospital. The other persons auto insurance paid the bill. I received a follow up "hope all turned out well. Glad we could help. BTW, we are a volunteer service, so if you'd like to make a contribution it would be appreciated." letter. I did.

My second car accident provided a county supplied ambulance ride in the middle of nowhere, KY. The small town hospital was extremely accommodating, providing a room for the kids and I to rest while we waited for my Mom to pick us up. (My car was totaled, no one was hurt.) Insurance covered the ride, but otherwise, I assume I would have been billed even though some portion of the local taxes by local residents covers having emergency vehicles on the ready.

A few years back, I received an offer in the mail to pay $75 for ambulance service should my family ever need it. It would cover all members of the household for the year. I didn't do it, despite not having health insurance at the time, because I a) took my chances, b) didn't have the $75 to spare, and c) knew I'd get a ride to the ER if I called for an ambulance and they would respond without question and bill me later.

But, what if they didn't??? Shocked
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:38 pm
Quote:
man whose home burned down because he hadn't paid a $75 municipal fee said he had made a simple mistake and wasn't trying to take advantage of the system.

"I'm no freeloader, I've worked all my life for everything I've got," Gene Cranick of Obion County, Tennessee, told Keith Olbermann on MSNBC on Tuesday evening. "It happens to anybody, I don't care, you forget things and I did. I suffered the consequences for it."

snip

Kelly Edmison, fire chief of nearby Union City, said a fire tax would be better than the current fee system.

"Without a doubt, the best is a fire tax," Olbermann quoted Edmison as saying. "The last thing a firefighter wants to do is not be able to help when they'd like to."

Other locals have been sympathetic during this trying period, Cranick told Olbermann.

"Most everybody has been compassionate and neighborly," he told MSNBC. "I understood some of the firefighters went home and were sick. Some of them even cried over it."

"I appreciate it," he said.

Cranick, who is living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home. More
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

People do this constantly in the real world; that's what insurance is.

No, people don't do that constantly in the real world, and I'm not convinced that you know what insurance is. People don't buy health insurance when they get sick because that option isn't available to them. Likewise, as we see in at least one Tennessee county, people don't buy fire protection services when their houses are on fire because that option isn't available to them either.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are conflating 'paying for insurance' with 'paying to get the result people want.' This is a false conflation on your part. You are misusing 'it' in your post above; 'it' is the result, not the method, of delivery.

I'm not following you.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
For example, medical insurance. People pay for years without actually needing the service - and nothing is stopping them for actually paying for the health care out of pocket when a problem arises, and just pocketing and investing the premium monies instead.

Indeed.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You specifically stated that most people wouldn't purchase insurance if they knew they could pay for those services later, even at a higher rate. Evidence shows that this is in fact untrue; most people, when given the option, choose to pay a lower rate up front rather than wait for a much, much higher bill later on.

Oh, I see. You're conflating the result with the method of delivery. Health insurance isn't the same thing as medical services.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 01:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
People don't buy health insurance when they get sick because that option isn't available to them.

No, but the option of paying for the services they need most certainly is. Anyone can pay cash for medical services. Your example is a poor one, because you keep focusing on the method of delivery instead of the services desired. This is a mistake on your part.

Quote:
Oh, I see. You're conflating the result with the method of delivery. Health insurance isn't the same thing as medical services.

Duh! You are the one who keeps conflating the two, not I. A review of my posts makes that perfectly clear.

My example more closely replicates the situation we are discussing than yours does. When given an opportunity to pre-pay for their services in terms of health insurance, the majority of people do indeed choose to do so. This contradicts your assertion that most would choose not to do so.

The result is all that matters. The method of delivery in this discussion is immaterial. Diest was right when he pointed out that firefighters are much more closely akin to doctors in this example than they are insurance company agents....

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
People don't buy health insurance when they get sick because that option isn't available to them.

No, but the option of paying for the services they need most certainly is. Anyone can pay cash for medical services. Your example is a poor one, because you keep focusing on the method of delivery instead of the services desired. This is a mistake on your part.

Look, this is very simple. When fire protection services are offered in the same manner as fire protection insurance, then the method of delivery and the services provided are the same thing. In other words, if I buy a policy of insurance that will provide fire protection services to fight any fires that I might have, then what I'm paying for is the fire protection service. That was the case with Mr. Cranick. He chose not to pay the fee/premium, and so he didn't get the service/coverage, and he didn't have the option of paying the fee/premium when he was in the process of suffering a fire/loss.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
My example more closely replicates the situation we are discussing than yours does. When given an opportunity to pre-pay for their services in terms of health insurance, the majority of people do indeed choose to do so. This contradicts your assertion that most would choose not to do so.

I am getting pretty fed up with the way that you consistently misrepresent my position. I will repeat it one more time, just to give you another opportunity to screw it up: I didn't say that people wouldn't pay for insurance, I said that they wouldn't pay for insurance when the option was available for them to pay for it whenever they needed it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

I am getting pretty fed up with the way that you consistently misrepresent my position. I will repeat it one more time, just to give you another opportunity to screw it up: I didn't say that people wouldn't pay for insurance, I said that they wouldn't pay for insurance when the option was available for them to pay for it whenever they needed it.

But nobody's talking about people paying for insurance when the need arises. We are ALL talking about paying for services when the need arises. Your argument relies on the assertion that the $75 fee makes the fire services into fire protection insurance, but that's not true.

Your continual claim that insurance and service are in fact the same thing is simply incorrect. I can't be any more clear about it. Those who paid the $75 fee didn't sign a policy and didn't carry insurance. You are relying on a twisting of the word insurance to support your entire argument.

Not only that, but your original post in the thread seemed to suggest that the firefighters did the right thing; that under the model of their business, they were justified and correct to let the home burn down. I cannot agree with this position for several reasons, but the most important one would be that it is never morally or ethically correct to take advantage of a technicality at the expense of someone's livelihood, in order to gain more customers for one's business. It is entirely akin to a doctor simply letting someone die because they don't have the money to pay for the bill right now; and even WORSE, letting them die even though they DO have the money to pay, as an example to other 'freeloaders.'

Cycloptichorn
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:59 pm
This whole scenario begs the question of what that fire department's response would be to a reported car fire on the highway if someone's out-of-town car catches fire. Would they not put it out because the vehicle owner isn't a local and hasn't paid the fee? If they would put it out, what's different between the two scenarios?