Fire sale: Fire Department lets home burn over $75.00 fee.

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
@mysteryman,
I have Yahoo as my start page, MM. They have the story with lots of links.
www.yahoo.com
Maybe that will help.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 10:36 am
@realjohnboy,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101005/pl_yblog_upshot/rural-tennessee-fire-sparks-conservative-ideological-debate;_ylt=AopXa79RmB6pBBNzWFjW.atzfNdF
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 10:37 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I gave a quick scan of the 2 sites you list, and I cant find anything about this one way or another.
So either I missed them or they arent there.
I will wait for you to post the exact link.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/248658/pay-spray-fire-department-doing-right-thing-kevin-d-williamson

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/248665/re-pay-spray-jonah-goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/248669/re-pay-spray-firefighters-john-derbyshire

That's just a few examples, I'm sure I could find a bunch more from other sites.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 10:38 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I have Yahoo as my start page, MM. They have the story with lots of links.
www.yahoo.com
Maybe that will help.

A link! You did it!

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:02 am
What's the problem here? If a service like this is provided for a fee, then the fee must be collected before the service is required -- otherwise, people would only pay the fee when they needed the service (something that engineer has already pointed out -- just with a lot more math). It's like insurance: if everyone could buy health insurance as soon as they discovered that they were seriously ill, then only sick people would buy it. As a result, health insurance would either cost the same as the anticipated medical treatments (which kinda' defeats the whole purpose) or else it would simply be unavailable. I would add that this is the way fire departments used to be run -- as private services available only to subscribers -- and the way some libertarians would like to see such services run in the future.

Mr. Cranick is rather like the person who wants the lottery to pay him the jackpot because he intended to buy the winning ticket. That's not how things work. If you want to win the prize, you have to buy a ticket. No tickee, no prizee. Or, as Kevin Williamson wrote (quoted in Rockhead's linked article): "The South Fulton fire department is being treated as though it has done something wrong, rather than having gone out of its way to make services available to people who did not have them before. The world is full of jerks, freeloaders, and ingrates — and the problems they create for themselves are their own. These free-riders have no more right to South Fulton's firefighting services than people in Muleshoe, Texas, have to those of NYPD detectives."

Quite right. This is, indeed, a free rider problem, not to mention an ingrate and jerk problem. To be sure, most places address the free rider problem by making payment for such services mandatory. It is Mr. Cranick's misfortune that he lives in an area where such services are not available and among people who don't believe that paying taxes for such services is a good idea. Cranick freely decided to continue living there under those conditions and decided not to pay the $75 fee for fire protection service. He rolled the dice and he came up craps. Now he's complaining that he has to pay for the consequences of his decisions, which, I suppose, makes him a true American hero. Mr. I'll-let-everyone-else-pay-for-fire-service-until-I-need-it, we salute you!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
he typed it.

bet a benjamin...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
No, I am as stupid as ever. I think Rockhead somehow doctored my post.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:06 am
I think this is a perfect example to discuss the ideological debate splitting the country. If enough folks want this kind of individualist pay-as-you-go society (or lack of "society") and vote accordingly then this is precisely what we'll get. I don't have any problem with people really wanting to live like this - just don't complain when something happens that isn't the way you wanted it to be.

Quote:
"I hadn't paid my $75 and that's what they want, $75, and they don't care how much it burned down," Gene Cranick told WPSD, an NBC affiliate in Kentucky. "I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong."

Why did he assume they'd put it out?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:15 am
@joefromchicago,
The problem is much easier solved by levying a large fine/fee for servicing the fire. Allowing the fire to burn the house down represented a needless loss of capital for the homeowner and damages the property values of the houses around it.

They could have charged the guy 5 grand - the equivalent of almost 70 homeowners paying the fee - and the guy would have paid it, happily, to avoid having his house burned down. It would represent a win-win for everyone. But instead, by sticking with an ideological point, it's a lose-lose for everyone.

I don't see how this is something to applaud.

Quote:
I would add that this is the way fire departments used to be run -- as private services available only to subscribers -- and the way some libertarians would like to see such services run in the future.

Idiots may want services to run this way, but not anyone who has put an ounce of thought into the ramifications of this. I reject the poorly-thought out logic of this Libertarian viewpoint - it is on a level with most of their crap, an ideological point which is unworkable in real life.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The problem is much easier solved by levying a large fine/fee for servicing the fire. Allowing the fire to burn the house down represented a needless loss of capital for the homeowner and damages the property values of the houses around it.

They could have charged the guy 5 grand - the equivalent of almost 70 homeowners paying the fee - and the guy would have paid it, happily, to avoid having his house burned down. It would represent a win-win for everyone. But instead, by sticking with an ideological point, it's a lose-lose for everyone.

As engineer pointed out before, there are costs associated with maintaining a fire department. Those costs have to be paid whether there's a fire or not. Paying for the fire department, then, on an as-needed basis just doesn't work. There would be no money, for instance, to pay start-up costs. Just like insurance, a service like this depends on people paying for it who don't need it. So if you can't solve the free rider problem, then you end up with no fire department at all. What you're suggesting, then, isn't win-win, it's lose-lose: no fire department at all for anyone, whether they're willing to pay for it or not.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:31 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

As engineer pointed out before, there are costs associated with maintaining a fire department. Those costs have to be paid whether there's a fire or not. Paying for the fire department, then, on an as-needed basis just doesn't work.

This is immaterial to this question, because it is plainly obvious that enough people ARE paying the start-up costs for the department to work: after all, they did send out trucks and men, it isn't as if they didn't have the guys to do it. You posit a situation which doesn't match the reality.

Proposing a levyed fine which is large enough deters people from 'forgetting' to pay while at the same time ensuring that there is no absolutely ******* useless loss of property for no reason other than to service a stupid ideological position.

Quote:
There would be no money, for instance, to pay start-up costs. Just like insurance, a service like this depends on people paying for it who don't need it. So if you can't solve the free rider problem, then you end up with no fire department at all. What you're suggesting, then, isn't win-win, it's lose-lose: no fire department at all for anyone, whether they're willing to pay for it or not.

Try making the same argument without Appealing to Extremes. I didn't suggest that EVERYONE pay for fire service on a per-incident basis; only that a remedy could be found to help those who didn't pay, instead of hurting the entire community by just letting things burn down.

Allowing the house to burn down over a $75 dollar fee is criminal in it's stupidity. Truly asinine, and I'm surprised to see you support such an obviously foolish choice. The fire department wasn't beholden by law to help these people, but they should have, because it's the right thing to do - period.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

It's easy for you to say that he would have happily paid a high fee, but that doesn't make it so. Collecting that high fee would have fallen to the community with the FD and, chances are, he wouldn't have paid.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:37 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

It's easy for you to say that he would have happily paid a high fee, but that doesn't make it so. Collecting that high fee would have fallen to the community with the FD and, chances are, he wouldn't have paid.

Hypothetical response on your part. You can't know whether the guy would have paid or not; but we have courts to solve that problem, and therefore don't have to rely upon hypotheticals in case like this. We certainly don't hold up emergency care in hospitals because the people might not pay later; how is this any different?

Given the hundreds of thousands of dollars of loss that a burned down house entails, the idea that the guy would have balked at a few thousand seems silly; it doesn't make any sense.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:39 am
@joefromchicago,
Insurance companies don't treat patients, doctors and nurses do. Insurance companies pay doctors and hospitals.

The fire department does have an ethical obligation here, and if fulfilling their ethical obligation despite the lack of payment encourages others under this system to stop paying, then the point should be that the current system doesn't work.

While you have a point that the FD is offering a service to residents that otherwise would have it, the fact that they otherwise wouldn't have it is worth critical address. The idea that this kind of service is in any way optional is present in the policies of the area, and in the homeowner's choice.

Why did the man think they would put out the fire? Probably the same reason you'd assume a doctor would put a bullet out of a homeless man with no money. It wouldn't matter how the bullet got there.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:42 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

Then they could seize his home. If the man values his home enough to want it save from fire, he'll pay to save it from seizure.

A
R
T
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is immaterial to this question, because it is plainly obvious that enough people ARE paying the start-up costs for the department to work: after all, they did send out trucks and men, it isn't as if they didn't have the guys to do it. You posit a situation which doesn't match the reality.

No, actually you're the one who is positing a situation that doesn't match reality. You posit a situation where some people pay in advance and some people pay whenever they have a fire. But the county only had a fire service because there was no option for paying for fire services on an as-needed basis. Lots of people did pay for it, but only because they knew that, if they didn't, the fire department wouldn't show up when they had a fire.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Proposing a levyed fine which is large enough deters people from 'forgetting' to pay while at the same time ensuring that there is no absolutely ******* useless loss of property for no reason other than to service a stupid ideological position.

Under that system, most people would simply take a chance that they wouldn't have to pay at all. And it would be a reasonable decision, too. After all, the chance of having one's house burn down is very small, and who wouldn't prefer to pay $5,000 in the event of a hypothetical fire than pay $75 now on the slight chance of having a fire this year?

The reasonable person, therefore, would simply invest the $5K on the expectation that the proceeds would probably be more than the $75 annual fee that other suckers would pay. The problem, though, is that, under that scenario, there wouldn't be enough of those suckers to pay those annual fees, since everyone else would figure out that it would make more sense to pay a lot contingently than pay a little definitely. The result: no one paying for the fire department until there's a fire. That's not a realistic solution.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Try making the same argument without Appealing to Extremes. I didn't suggest that EVERYONE pay for fire service on a per-incident basis; only that a remedy could be found to help those who didn't pay, instead of hurting the entire community by just letting things burn down.

I'm not appealing to extremes, I'm just using some common sense and elementary game theory.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Allowing the house to burn down over a $75 dollar fee is criminal in it's stupidity. Truly asinine, and I'm surprised to see you support such an obviously foolish choice. The fire department wasn't beholden by law to help these people, but they should have, because it's the right thing to do - period.

I certainly would have no objection to the fire department helping Mr. Crainick out of the goodness of their collective hearts, but if folks want to put government on a cash basis, then this is the kind of result that they have to expect. I'm not in favor of having fire departments sit around and watch people's houses burn down, but then I'm not in favor of financing services like fire departments on a voluntary basis either.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:56 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
But the county only had a fire service because there was no option for paying for fire services on an as-needed basis.

Assertion. People often pay for services in advance of actually needing them, out of prudence.

Quote:

Under that system, most people would simply take a chance that they wouldn't have to pay at all.

Assertion. Medical insurance works the same way - you are highly unlikely to get sick or injured in any single year - yet the vast majority of people desire and pay for the insurance anyway. Your theory says that this shouldn't be happening, but it clearly is.

Quote:

The reasonable person, therefore, would simply invest the $5K on the expectation that the proceeds would probably be more than the $75 annual fee that other suckers would pay.

Assertion, see above. This is not born out by real-world examples - only by your theories.

Quote:

I'm not appealing to extremes, I'm just using some common sense and elementary game theory.

No, you are appealing to extremes. Nobody proposed a system in which only those whose houses are on fire pay, but that's what you are arguing would exist if people aren't forced to watch their house burn down. Reality doesn't support this, however - just your theory.

Quote:
I certainly would have no objection to the fire department helping Mr. Crainick out of the goodness of their collective hearts, but if folks want to put government on a cash basis, then this is the kind of result that they have to expect. I'm not in favor of having fire departments sit around and watch people's houses burn down, but then I'm not in favor of financing services like fire departments on a voluntary basis either.

Neither am I. However, your original post seems to posit that the FD did the correct thing by allowing his house to burn down. They did not do the correct thing, morally or ethically, and certainly not financially; they could have set up a system to fully cover their costs while ensuring that houses don't burn down.

Libertarian ideology simply doesn't work in real-world situations! The example we are discussing now truly is a lose-lose for everyone.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:59 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Insurance companies don't treat patients, doctors and nurses do. Insurance companies pay doctors and hospitals.

True. Your point?

failures art wrote:
The fire department does have an ethical obligation here, and if fulfilling their ethical obligation despite the lack of payment encourages others under this system to stop paying, then the point should be that the current system doesn't work.

I'm not convinced that the fire department has an ethical obligation here. And the system works fine -- except, of course, for people like Mr. Crainick who don't pay the $75 fee and whose houses burn down. That's where the system sorta' breaks down.

failures art wrote:
While you have a point that the FD is offering a service to residents that otherwise would have it, the fact that they otherwise wouldn't have it is worth critical address. The idea that this kind of service is in any way optional is present in the policies of the area, and in the homeowner's choice.

Indeed, and, as a member of the community, I'm sure that Mr. Crainick, at some point, must have had the opportunity to express his support or opposition to that policy at the ballot box. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr. Crainick, before his house burned down, preferred the policy of voluntary payment to one that would have taxed him for the same service. No doubt he would be having second thoughts about that now, but it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
No doubt he would be having second thoughts about that now, but it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Wow, this sums up the Libertarian ethos perfectly. And explains why we shouldn't ever follow their idiotic philosophy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 12:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I expect that a fund will be set up to receive donations to help the owner replace his home. I wouldn't be surprised if people replaced the grandchildren's three dogs and one cat that were killed in the fire.

This will demonstrate community instead of Ayn Rand's ideas about individualism and that of Libertarian idology.

BBB