WATERTOWN - BOSTON - REAL ESTATE TIMING

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:37 am
A colleague of mine (Jb) is preparing to join her husband in Boston.

He started working there in September - loves it - Jb and their daughter are going to join him in the new year.

Jb has started looking at homes in Watertown (best community for the school her daughter will eventually be attending). She's trying to get a sense of whether now is a good time to be buying - is autumn good? winter? how is the market in Watertown generally?

Any general tips about home buying in the Watertown/Boston market to share? any areas in Watertown to avoid?

Thanks for the help!

(I plan to visit - so I need you to help Jb find an incredible home for an incredible value)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,055 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 03:44 pm
Ummm.... I like Watertown in general, but don't know about specific neighborhoods. Very big Armenian population (good food!). Perkin's School for the Blind is located there.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Watertown is in Middlesex county, where many of my relatives live. Not familiar with the town itself, but the towns I've seen in the county are beautiful.

http://www.ci.watertown.ma.us/

Some history of Watertown:

http://www.ci.watertown.ma.us/index.aspx?NID=343

Some demographics for Watertown:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Watertown-Massachusetts.html

Midway down the page is a list of six neighborhoods in Watertown. Each has a link to its own set of demographics specific to the neighborhood.

Neighborhoods in Watertown:

* Bemis neighborhood
* Brigham (Brigham Historic District) neighborhood
* Coolidge Square (Coolidge Sq) neighborhood

* East Watertown (E Watertown) neighborhood
* Watertown Square (Watertown Sq) neighborhood
* West End (West Side) neighborhood

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:10 pm
@littlek,
Family house was next door to Perkin's Institute back in the early 1900's. I don't know if they rented or owned, just remember seeing it on a visit. Another family house was on Green Street, or Greene St. That one was owned, until the '50's. Probably gone now.. or if not, might need some work.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:11 pm
I personally don't like the Watertown area. I would head toward the south shore where there is reliable public transportation. Start with Hingham and keep going.
jespah

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Just sent a note to my fishmonger (he lives in Watertown).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:51 pm
@Sglass,
Plymouth County is another place to consider (includes Hingham). Those relatives not living in Middlesex live there and have done so for several generations now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:53 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Very big Armenian population.

this is why it HAS to be Watertown.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:19 pm
@ehBeth,
On that city data link I gave you above, there is an interactive map that shows locations of various points of interest. They include:

Armenian Library and Museum of America (Coolidge Square neighborhood)
Saint Stephens Armenian Church (East Watertown neighborhood )
Saint Stephens Armenian Apostolic Church (Coolidge Square neighborhood)

Pinpointing those neighborhoods may help narrow the search options if their intent is to immerse themselves in the Armenian culture.

This site lists homes for sale in Watertown and lets you filter the list by neighborhood and other statistics.

http://www.masshomesrealestate.com/listings/areas/135967,406/minprice/200000/beds/2/sort/price+asc/
littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Can you explain further? Or is it top secret?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
we've already done the distances to the Armenian churches and the Armenian school - s'gotta be Watertown

she's trying to get a sense of when the Boston real estate market is hotter/colder - the agents all kind of sing the same "right now is THE best time" song.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:23 pm
@littlek,
Her daughter will be going to the Armenian school when it's time to go to school.
littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Now is a pretty good time, I sense. The market came way down (not like other places, but down for this area). And they've stayed down except for the bubble around the stimulus rebate. They're bound to raise again sometime soonish.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Please tell me that's not the ONLY reason they're coming here....
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:30 pm
@littlek,
It's the reason it has to be Watertown. Her husband is in corporate housing in Cambridge right now - he's going to start checking out houses on the weekend. They're trying to figure out whether to rent for a year or two first or buy right away. The rents are so high, it seems like buying just makes more sense - but when you don't know the market it's hard to be sure.
littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:36 pm
@ehBeth,
If he'll be here for more than a few years I'd definitely tell him to buy.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Some local news articles on the Massachusetts housing market:

Mass. Realtors: Pending home sales plunge in Sept.
Quote:

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Pending single-family home sales, a barometer of the region’s housing market, fell for the fifth straight month in September as potential homebuyers stayed away in droves, according to the Massachusetts Association of Realtors.

The number of single-family homes put under agreement in September was 3,609, down from 4,473 for the same time last year, a 19 percent decline, the group reported today.

Condos under agreement in September slipped to 1,267, down 27 percent a year ago when pending sales were 1,725 units.

“Concerns over the economy and unemployment continued to keep a number of potential homebuyers on the sidelines as homes put under agreement went down compared to the same time last year when buyers were trying to qualify for the initial homebuyer tax credit deadline,” said MAR President Kevin Sears, in a statement.

“While the market still favors the buyer and interest rates remain historically low, confidence in the market plays a significant factor even for the most qualified buyers when it comes to purchasing a home.”

The tracking of signed purchase and sale agreements, also called “pending sales,” provides reliable information about where the real estate market is heading in coming months, said MAR.

A pending sale or a sale “under agreement” is when the buyer and seller agree on the terms of the sale of a home and have a signed purchase and sale agreement, but have yet to close.

Little immediate relief in sight for housing market

Quote:
October 5, 2010 08:13 AM

Globe Staff

A metric that seeks to project a forward-looking snapshot of the local housing market showed few signs of relief for a slump partly kicked off by the recent expiration of a temporary federal tax credit for home buyers.

In September, pending sales for Bay State single-family homes fell 19 percent in September when compared with September 2009, the Massachusetts Association of Realtors said today; pending sales for condos were down 27 percent on a year-to-year basis.

The association's pending sales analysis counts homes that have been put under agreement but are not yet completed sales. Often six weeks can elapse between the time a home is put under agreement and the time that the sale closes. In general, economists look at closed home sales when they seek to evaluate the condition of the market, but those data points can be several weeks old. According to the association, pending sales can give more of a real-time indication of where the market might be heading.

“Concerns over the economy and unemployment continued to keep a number of potential home buyers on the sidelines as homes put under agreement went down compared to the same time last year when buyers were trying to qualify for the initial home buyer tax credit deadline,” association president Kevin Sears said in a statement. “While the market still favors the buyer and interest rates remain historically low, confidence in the market plays a significant factor even for the most qualified buyers when it comes to purchasing a home.”

In September, 3,609 single-family homes were put under agreement compared with 4,473 homes in the same month a year ago, the Massachusetts Association of Realtors said. September 2010 was the fifth straight month that year-over-year pending sales have gone down.

As for condos, 1,267 units were put under agreement last month, compared 1,725 units in 2009.

The pending sales results for September were roughly trending in line with the volume declines that were reported for closed home sales in August. To read a Globe story on closed August home sales, please click here.

That story noted: "The decline in sales was expected, given the surge in previous months as buyers rushed to take advantage of an expiring federal tax credit of up to $8,000. With the distortions caused by the tax credit, analysts said, it is unclear where the local housing market is heading."

August home sales drop to lowest level in 2 decades

Quote:
Sales of Massachusetts single-family homes in August fell to their lowest level in more than two decades as the housing market continued to feel the effects of the expiration of a federal home buyers tax credit, the Warren Group said today.

On a volume basis, 3,659 single-family homes were sold in Massachusetts in August, an 18.5 percent drop from August 2009, said the Warren Group, a Boston firm that tracks local real estate activity. August 2010 was the second consecutive month of year-over-year sales declines.

"This is the first time sales have fallen below 4,000 in the month of August since the Warren Group began tracking data in 1987," the firm added.

Sales of single-family homes edged up from a month ago, when there were 3,590 sales of single-family homes.

"Sales volume in the real estate market remains slow as an after-effect of the expiration of the popular tax credit for home buyers," Warren Group chief executive Timothy M. Warren Jr. said in a statement. "Anxiety and uncertainty in the minds of consumers regarding rising foreclosures, the economy, jobs, and financial markets all played a role in keeping potential home buyers on the sidelines this summer. I'm afraid that the slumping real estate market led the country into the recession and the market's continuing malaise is holding back any kind of strong economic recovery."

The median price of single-family Massachusetts homes rose 3.9 percent to $315,000 in August, up from $303,000 a year earlier and dropped from a month ago when the median price was $320,000, the Warren Group said.

As for August condominium sales in Massachusetts, they fell 23.3 percent from a year earlier, with 1,620 condos selling in August. Condo sales increased slightly from a month earlier. The median selling price for a Massachusetts condo was $298,500 in August 2010, up 8.5 percent from a year ago, the Warren Group said.

The Massachusetts Association of Realtors also issued a report today on the local housing market. The association uses a different method to track sales than the Warren Group does.

Association president Kevin Sears commented on the August sales figures in a statement.

“With median prices continuing to climb year over year and sales slightly increasing from July to August, the market is slowly starting to move in a more positive direction,” Sears said. “While questions about the economy and unemployment remain, the record low interest rates continue to benefit those consumers who are in the market to buy a home now. We can’t forget about the long-term value of home ownership, and the importance for buyers to follow a timeline that is right for them, regardless of the market.”

On sales volumes for single-family homes sold in Massachusetts in August, the association reported an 18.4 percent decrease from the same time last year.

"The median selling price for single-family homes in August was $330,000 an increase of 4.8 percent compared to $315,000 in August 2009," the association said. "This is the 10th straight month of year-over-year price increases."

This article compares the recovery and economic forecast and growth differences in Western Massachusetts (slower) and the Boston area (faster).

http://www.businesswest.com/details.asp?id=2654
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
@littlek,
Thanks - that'll help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
ahhh - that will give them some useful reading

thank you
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Anyone have a Watertown history site? We were irish, my grandmother from south Boston, probably not a good thing to others, and grandfather not sure, just from the local bar. He was a tailor, and I gather a cousin of Mike Mc Cormick.

There's a long irish story or two from my grandmother, and I now forget the main point, if it was her mother or her mother's mother who was the daughter of the earl of athlone. Probably her mother. I get it that this is likely apocryphal, though some of the followup stories in letters made sense, but, I tell you, I couldn't pay attention long enough.

I typed all those letters of my mother up, and have not looked at them since. Hard to get past the letter rage.
0 Replies