Has anyone here eaten or made Piroshki's (Russian) not to be confused with perogies?

Mame

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 01:45 pm
I bought them for years at the Russian Ctty Ctre during the Easter Fair, but here in Cowtown, you can't buy 'em anywhere. Anyway, I found a recipe years ago that was excellent, then lost it somehow, and googled another one. I made them yesterday and they were delish! Just wondering if anyone here has their own 'authentic' recipe.

Mine is a bread dough, stuffed with sauteed gr. beef, onions, mushrooms (all minced) and dill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,600 • Replies: 6
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 02:05 pm
Oh yeah, I've made perogies a few times.

Not worth all the effort in my opinion.

Why do you ask?

<snort>
Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 02:20 pm
I've them eaten a few and a few more (simply to ascertain their authenticity). They're okay, but pale next to the joy in pierogie eating. Must be my Polish bloodline denying the years we were Russian (now the place is Ukrainian).

That aside, dinner when is it served? I bring plate of my own.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:02 am
@Sturgis,
I think they all asuck. Its just a way of gathering fat grams into your diet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:12 am
Petr Alexeevitch, who became Peter the Great, befriended a seller of pies (piroshkis) in the streets of Moscow, and raised him to the very heights of power in Russia--Alexandr Menshikov. But Menshikov stole shamelessly from the state, and in amounts commensurate with his high position. In a fit of rage, Petr once threatened to send him back to the streets to sell pies. That evening, at an imperial reception, Menshikov appeared with a tray of pies hung around his neck, crying: "Hot piroshkis, hot piroshkis, buy my hot pies!" Annoyed at first, Petr laughed and forgave him on that occasion.

Of course, Menshikov continued to steal, and Petr continued to get in towering rages about it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:11 am
@Mame,
The dough is soft, like a glazed donut dough, and the meat-mushroom filling is savory. You fry them very quickly and amazingly, they are not greasy. They are a perfect little snack.

These are for our wine and appie party the night before the wedding. I'm making 13 other appies, but these will have to be a hit. My kids tell me I'm going to have to make several batches. If you've never had them, you don't know what you're missing. And IMO, way better than perogies!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:11 am
@chai2,
snort? snort yourself! These are BETTER than perogies, but about the same amount of work - they're just so delicious that to me, they're worth the effort.
0 Replies