Perception and physical reality

fresco

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:48 am
@Cyracuz,
I think you are wasting your time trying to explain that to a naive realist who appears not even to have heard of "the uncertainty principle". But I wish you luck !
Fido

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:58 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
so quarks > atoms > molecules > asteriods > comets > galaxies > suns > planets > moons

all without any observer involved

This is an assumption, and it is not even supported by scientific theory. If you remove the human observer, how would you say that the concept "moon" has any meaning?

Physical reality has being and meaning, and because we give the meaning that we say we find, we add to our confusion...
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:44 am
@fresco,
Perhaps you are right..
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:13 am
@north,
north wrote:

the accumulation of the micro produce the macro

so quarks > atoms > molecules > asteriods > comets > galaxies > suns > planets > moons

This heirarchical gibberish is produced by the erroneus removal of the mind from the the heirarchy. If we take a materialist quantum matter up approach one must include the mind in a heirarchy like so

Quantosphere>Physiosphere>Biosphere>Noosphere

Take out a lower rung and the higher rung dissolves. One cannot have the noosphere without the bioshpere and on down, yet to deny that the mind/observer is part of the observed spheres also denies the mind access to its constituent parts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:25 am
@Arjuna,
Quote:
But if it were true, it would mean that if you're alone, the things that are directly behind you, and therefore unobserved, have no position or other characteristics. Not until you turn around and look at a table, for instance, does the table appear out of the the cloud, and it does so because you looked at it. This drastically alters the meaning of objectivity, which gives us a map of the world around us in three dimensions. It would mean the contents of the map aren't "there" the way we think they are.

Well, not quite, as I see it. Can we relate to terms like observation, timeline and location in the same way we would when dealing with actual objects?

It is not entirely accurate to say that when you observe the quantum information that appears as "table" you are causing a collapse of superposition (your cloud). The quantum superposition is not of "table", but of everything that can potentially happen to the specific sub atomic particles and waves being observed.

And the observation creates memory of it, and each individual memory of quantum observation can be thought of as definite states of superpositions such as "table" within our consciousness.

I am suggesting that observation causes collapse of superposition, but simultaneously, since each observation is copied into memory and thus becomes relevant to all new observations, the process also creates consciousness as a superposition.
Each definite state creates a relationship between that state and the superposition. But understanding resides in the superposition.

If this were so it would indicate that consciousness is an inherent property of every quantum function, as the relationship between superposition and definite state. Observer and observed would be interchangeable, simply two basic attributes of everything. You cannot affect without being affected.
The simple attribute of memory could then be said to be what enables our human consciousness, which is essentially accumulated consciousness gathered in every quantum measurement the brain makes.

So bottom line would be that the definite state of reality (which is in itself a superposition in our mind) is negotiated between/within all things relevant to it. Your "map" is still useful, because consciousness doesn't leave with you when you exit the room. The macrocosmic concepts of time and location aren't neccesarily relevant if we talk of perception at quantum levels.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:27 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
But if it were true, it would mean that if you're alone, the things that are directly behind you, and therefore unobserved, have no position or other characteristics. Not until you turn around and look at a table, for instance, does the table appear out of the the cloud, and it does so because you looked at it. This drastically alters the meaning of objectivity, which gives us a map of the world around us in three dimensions. It would mean the contents of the map aren't "there" the way we think they are.

Well, not quite, as I see it. Can we relate to terms like observation, timeline and location in the same way we would when dealing with actual objects?.

Dammit Jim, I'm not a physicist.. I just read a book called Quantum Reality a few years back. What I described is one version of the Copenhagen interpretation. Since the subatomic particles that make up the table have no position until the collapse, the table doesn't either. That which is uncollapsed is a fog.

Cyracuz wrote:

It is not entirely accurate to say that when you observe the quantum information that appears as "table" you are causing a collapse of superposition (your cloud). The quantum superposition is not of "table", but of everything that can potentially happen to the specific sub atomic particles and waves being observed.
To go Heidegger on it, table is an idea. What you observe is tones of color that you associate with table. What we observe is continuously in flux. The idea is unchanging.

Cyracuz wrote:

I am suggesting that observation causes collapse of superposition, but simultaneously, since each observation is copied into memory and thus becomes relevant to all new observations, the process also creates consciousness as a superposition.
Each definite state creates a relationship between that state and the superposition. But understanding resides in the superposition.
Let me join in with the word play. Since I don't have it all figured out, I'm just exploring a perspective, ok?

Memory doesn't contain copies of observations. Consciousness is a projector that can beam images onto a screen we call the past. The shape of those images follows the nature of consciousness as it builds meaning for itself.

The difference between the past screen and the future screen is that the past is supposed to contain images of actualities. We assume that events we remember happened (but we can find out that we were mistaken and so we adjust the projection.) The future contains images of possibilities. We assume they don't represent actualities. Although through reason we realize that a subset of those possibilities must become actual... otherwise time as we know it would stop.

Consciousness is a symphony.. all of the parts must be related to each other in some way. Every new moment experienced is the prime focal point of consciousness. This moment now is the only experience of a true actuality. The experience expands in the realm of reflection...whatever that is. As it expands it becomes associated with the whole complex. Thus you know who you are, where you are, what you're doing, and why. This is the origin of that which we project onto the screens.

It's like consciousness is a pond and each moment is a pebble which ripples out altering the whole. Reflecting on this is our experience of time. In this, we have posited a static position of consciousness relative to the stream of events. Consciousness is the super-idea. It's position is understood to be outside of space and time. It is the home of the table and all the other ideas we populate the objective map with. It interacts with an ever changing field of possibility which gives concreteness to the forms of the mind.

Cyracuz wrote:

If this were so it would indicate that consciousness is an inherent property of every quantum function, as the relationship between superposition and definite state. Observer and observed would be interchangeable, simply two basic attributes of everything. You cannot affect without being affected.
The simple attribute of memory could then be said to be what enables our human consciousness, which is essentially accumulated consciousness gathered in every quantum measurement the brain makes.
You're combining physics and existentialism in a way that I'm having trouble following. Could you explain it again?

0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 02:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

This is an assumption, and it is not even supported by scientific theory. If you remove the human observer, how would you say that the concept "moon" has any meaning?

Physical reality has being and meaning, and because we give the meaning that we say we find, we add to our confusion...

first by the way it was me north that , so quarks etc

so we as the Human observer has the intelligence to create a moon in the mind project this " concept " into the solar system but at the same time have NO idea of the depth of construct of the moon its self

fascinating

how so
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 03:04 pm
@north,
1 - I think in meaning in a deepened more fundamental sense, as multi-function...conversion of information given the specificity of mediums...

1.1 - We are just another medium...but we like to think we are different.

2 - There´s been a lot of talk concerning meaning, flux, change, the so called "Devir" and how it better describes the state of reality around us...we all know the deal quite well...and it would be all OK if it was n´t for the persistent tendency to forget a basic principle when we talk on movement...and that simply consists in that there must be "objects" (not necessarily macro) in order to perceive it, or to consider it.

There are no events without change just as there are no events without permanence...even flux must have rules, and report to the fixity of those rules in order to be possible in the first place.

Thus Change, is nothing without Permanence...and this is not just about mind and idea or interpretation alone...but a part on actual Reality !

Would be therefore wise, to bare in mind that a conception of continuous change, without any rules and permanence as a subtract in its process can only ultimately be considered meaningless, and thus referring just to nonsense itself...

...but nonsense is exactly what flow´s around more often then it should.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

2 - There´s been a lot of talk concerning meaning, flux, change, the so called "Devir" and how it better describes the state of reality around us...we all know the deal quite well...and it would be all OK if it was n´t for the persistent tendency to forget a basic principle when we talk on movement...and that simply consists in that there must be "objects" (not necessarily macro) in order to perceive it, or to consider it.

Yes, we do forget that... every time we watch video.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Thus Change, is nothing without Permanence...and this is not just about mind and idea or interpretation alone...but a part on actual Reality !
Idea is not part of actual reality? Then what is it?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 05:55 pm
@Arjuna,
Well...of course it is...that was not what I meant...(and you know what I meant I am fairly sure...)

Bottom line was, that Idea as motor of change, through interpretation, cannot alone substitute Reality not even inside us...it obey´s Law´s and Principles, it refers to them in its own essence...
Idea still is process...another piece in the jigsaw...another grain of sand "hoovering" in the beach...

Glad you are paying attention to my endless "crusade" to no place... Wink
Arjuna

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 07:53 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I see a distinction between interpretation and truth.

By interpretation, I mean an approximation based on what I'm able to understand now.

Idea is not a motor of change. But neither is it a passive reflection. Without ideas, sensation would be a storm the mind couldn't endure. So I look at my dog as he stares back at me. He knows me. He doesn't think like me, but Idea is still present. What he sees is an idea. But there's no way he could know that.

The dog can't explode the idea and see laws governing events, much less see that the laws are implicit in the idea. For him, consciousness is now. He can hear and smell things I can't, and he can run 30 miles per hour. But I can imagine the past and future.

Keep crusading... I stay on my slow boat to China. As always, thanks!
blueSky

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:14 pm
- Perception is measurement of reality.
- Smell, touch, hearing, sight, taste, breathing, emotions. memory, identity are some of the key instruments of measurement, their multiplicity creates complex inputs to build a picture of reality.
- Each of these instruments are not necessarily independent of each other; they may to affect each other.
- Now each being differ in its endowment as well as ability to use these instruments
- So the resultant images of reality are so varied, and are likely to be far removed from the ever fluctuating objective reality
- And then there is language, which is the dashboard for all the measurements, and is sure limited in itself

- End result, Perception is a poor image building combined with poor display of reality

We can be (rather we are) reality, but for us to perceive it in its entirety seems like an impossible task.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:24 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

As I do....still interpretation belongs to what Truth is, it obey´s the same Law´s and Principles...

Interpretation" stands for "Zip Files", compressed data, a string of information that as process only goes so far upon something else limited by locality space and time...and goes on...this very same something that this string refers to and that its supposed to be "real" its also yet another layer, another compressed file of information, that also refers to something else, again another operating function...indirectly they all refer to TRUTH and thus to the Whole, given they are each its result converged at one point through the global set of functions that form the "pattern of Truth"...they all are governed by LAW, and that´s permanence...

Arjuna wrote:
By interpretation, I mean an approximation based on what I'm able to understand now.

...exactly Interpretation is approximation...a finite string of data enclosed in locality through process but linked to the Whole by LAW`S of NATURE themselves...

Arjuna wrote:
Idea is not a motor of change. But neither is it a passive reflection. Without ideas, sensation would be a storm the mind couldn't endure. So I look at my dog as he stares back at me. He knows me. He doesn't think like me, but Idea is still present. What he sees is an idea. But there's no way he could know that.

Interpretation precisely because its not a clone of the original creates functions that "change" reality in operative terms...chaos simulation...

Arjuna wrote:
The dog can't explode the idea and see laws governing events, much less see that the laws are implicit in the idea. For him, consciousness is now. He can hear and smell things I can't, and he can run 30 miles per hour. But I can imagine the past and future.

...I do believe dogs can do most of what you can do, but only in a slightly less complex manner...certainly they have an idea onto their past experiences (they are not reptiles) and can foresee to some extent their future (planning)
...they intuit law...they can tell regularity´s in behaviour for instance like thinking "if I go the the "cantine" back door everyday I might get some bones and left overs"...

Arjuna wrote:
Keep crusading... I stay on my slow boat to China. As always, thanks!

...If you are going to China take a sub !... Wink
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 03:30 am
@Arjuna,
Quote:

Are you saying that truth is divined by some other means?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:11 am
@Cyracuz,
Truth is not Divined although Truth is certainly "Divine"...
Truth is "Divine" by "no other means"...that´s what makes it "DIVINE" in the first place ! (It belongs !!!)
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 01:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

Are you saying that truth is divined by some other means?

I see a difference between truth and reality, with reality being the state of affairs and truth being our limited interpretation of reality... We cannot possibly know all; but we may know enough to build a working analogy of reality with our concepts...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 02:54 pm
@Fido,
Is that, what you just said, True, or yet another of your Moral "forms" ?...
How can you have change without any actual state fixed to be changed in the first place ? What is it that changes ???
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 03:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think that Fido has it right. I would think that it would be our concept that would change as we get a better understanding of what is being observed!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 04:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Is that, what you just said, True, or yet another of your Moral "forms" ?...
How can you have change without any actual state fixed to be changed in the first place ? What is it that changes ???

I do not know if you see it or can see it, but change is the only constant in existence... When we say this is truth or that is truth, we are giving expression to a moral form, which as all forms is a form of relationship, a meaning only without a specific being...
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:18 pm
@Fido,
I heard that when you know something very well you should be able to explain it so that even your grandmother would be able to understand it! I am sad to say that I may have a lesser ability to understand things than your grandmother.