Perception and physical reality

Arjuna

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

No Arjuna this is not a question of being able to describe the Whole as a totality but simply to understand that without a True state of affairs to Reality the concept of change does n´t make any sense at all...whatever we are able or not to know is besides the point...

I know. But how could one guess that the contents of chapter 3 become irrelevant when you get to chapter 7?

If chapter 3 is the big thing to me and you don't see the relevance, I'll assume you're on chapter 1....
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:55 am
@fresco,
But again I am not speaking on the knowledge we can get upon Truth but only in a necessary primary referent fixed emitter of Information to even consider change of states...a primary coded program upon which all other "local relative layers of relation" form....an infinite chain of sub codes might do...now, what cannot be is kill the rules themselves of code re-scripting...no amorphous formless thing can change in any sense....and I mean formless up to the abstract ! What is it that changes ? ...if not by our perspective...or any perspective ?
I am not trying to define what is or is not true...not trying to convey that such and such point of view is the true one...my entire "fight" was for a better clarification on what comes implicit in the very concept of CHANGE itself...it needs referents and rules...precisely why I used the word "PERSPECTIVE" upon our knowledge as "processors" of "language" coding and recoding upon something which must be...even if it all comes down to the rules of code as a constant, something must be fixed as a referent...I am always looking for the ontological primary substance has needed...yet not trying to describe it...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:21 am
...for instance, the primary substance of Math is Number and operative relational signs...all the rest is build upon this. There, is where you stablish function has meaning once all starts in motion...yet there is a primary substance and a set of rules ! For purpose of critique, some people are confusing phenomenological expression of Truth, PERSPECTIVE, with Ontological primary source, as not being needed...it can´t be !!!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:28 am
@Arjuna,
Who said meaning is irrelevant ?
I am only conveying that such is not the "epicentre" of this debate as some have suggested...

Truth as referent is at stake, not knowledge on it as phenomenological expression...

...I guess I am in the 10 chapter Arj...
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 09:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
From where I'm standing you have the book up side down...

But how do your ideas fit with the OP of this thread? Can you relate to the exploration of consciousness as the ground of all being, which is what is proposed in this thread?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:30 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
FA, You explained yourself very well, and I compliment you. I also agree with your descriptions about our reality. Language and code are very important concepts that can limit our understanding of reality.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:31 am
@fresco,
But social reality in of itself is based on cultural beliefs and language.
Arjuna

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Who said meaning is irrelevant ?
I am only conveying that such is not the "epicentre" of this debate as some have suggested...

Truth as referent is at stake, not knowledge on it as phenomenological expression...

...I guess I am in the 10 chapter Arj...
I never doubt that you are.

Simple question:
If there weren't any people, would there still be numbers?

If you give an answer to that, isn't it going to be a priori? How could it be empirical?

Can an a priori argument stand as ontological proof? If proof means a gain in confidence, it doesn't appear so, because you can't doubt that which is a priori.

The stuff about cause and the nature of "nature".. all those things... the anatomy and physiology of an event, the word event.... dophins in the clouds.... where's the dolphin? All that stuff can get "answered" by becoming irrelevant once you note that "what is" whatever it is, must be meaningful whatever your vantage point on it may be.

Now you're underneath science. Scientific models can come and go... you don't have to work out whether the latest and greatest theory is logically self-contained... whether it's magically managed to have a foundation that isn't a priori.

You're onto the root of all models. You're in a position to be able to predict what any model is going to possess and and what it won't. For instance, there never will be a model that allows part of reality to be completely independant of the rest of it. True or false?

If you pick between true and false on that question... how did you do that? Maybe it's like the people of older times would say... there are two minds... a lower and a higher. To function in your world, you have to use the lower. That's why it's so easy to forget the wisdom of the higher. As I obviously demonstrate over and over.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:10 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
But how do your ideas fit with the OP of this thread? Can you relate to the exploration of consciousness as the ground of all being, which is what is proposed in this thread?

I guess I did answer affirmatively to this question several times in this Thread already...I clarified to Fido several times that our disagreement was not substantial on that concern...if you cared to pay attention you would have noticed it.

Now, the essential of the diverging perspectives on the table is precisely established when people think they can posit meaning upon nothingness...so, who does in fact have priority´s upside down after all ?

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
fresco

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
Correct (as in Kuhn's paradigms).
What I might refer to here , albeit somewhat obliquely, is Maturana's view that all "observation" is verbal ! i.e. There is an "observer realm" whose currency is language (or in Maturana's parlance "languaging.") Thus all "observed events" are reported and presuppose a communicative connection/need between "observers" even if such "observers" are self1 talking to self2 in the same individual. From this point of view all observation is about "social reality". It is but a short step then to arrive at the conclusion that all we call "reality" is socially constructed.

And as the gasps of incredulity emanate from the "materialists" amongst us let me draw their attention to Bohr's warning about the use of the word "reality" cited previously.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:43 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
It is but a short step then to arrive at the conclusion that all we call "reality" is socially constructed.

Alas ! Egg or Chicken situation...

That language is the currency of the Social is fine with me in spite of only going half way through the rabbit hole...what one should question on this regard is why...Why in fact ?

Social is yet another word for unified...thus language is not just the currency of the Social but rather the currency FOR the Social ! A very different conclusion indeed...

...The Nature of Language ! ...instead the language of our (human) nature...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:07 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna !

Quote:
If there weren't any people, would there still be numbers?

...peoples and numbers are the same...

Quote:
If you give an answer to that, isn't it going to be a priori? How could it be empirical?

...how could it not be Ontological ?...

Quote:
Can an a priori argument stand as ontological proof? If proof means a gain in confidence, it doesn't appear so, because you can't doubt that which is a priori.

...exactly....what is the alternative ?

Quote:
For instance, there never will be a model that allows part of reality to be completely independent of the rest of it. True or false?

...the fact that you can assemble the question answers it...

Quote:
If you pick between true and false on that question... how did you do that? Maybe it's like the people of older times would say... there are two minds... a lower and a higher. To function in your world, you have to use the lower. That's why it's so easy to forget the wisdom of the higher. As I obviously demonstrate over and over.

Indeed you have.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Now, the essential of the diverging perspectives on the table is precisely established when people think they can posit meaning upon nothingness...so, who does in fact have priority´s upside down after all ?

Isn't "nothingness" in itself a meaning? Do we not deposit meaning to that concept every time we use it to communicate that the specific thing we were looking for wasn't there?

It seems to me that you are suggesting that in addition to the meanings we assign to our concepts, each concept has an inherent meaning of it's own, which is accessible to us only imperfectly.

Regardless, my suggestion is that the meanings are neither assigned by us nor belonging in the conceps. Meaning is in the communication, and a framework of perception according principles of quantum physics can potentially yield perspectives on this communication that may prove very useful.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:40 pm
@Cyracuz,
And just what do you think, meaning is communication, means ?
...Man is communication because communication made man...
Communication is all is needed here...Drop the Anthropocentric pretension...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:52 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz, Yes, "nothingness" has meaning. It has a definition that is understood, but how it is used and perceived is another matter.

The very fact that the two of you are arguing semantics shows that there is some level of "reality" and perception - even in your disagreement.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes we all share perspectives upon Truth...how each of us relates with it...and yet relation is Truth...it Unifies what must be together...(even in disagreement)

...As Cantor suggested once, the confined Infinite !

Cheers ! Wink
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 05:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The very fact that the two of you are arguing semantics shows that there is some level of "reality" and perception - even in your disagreement.

Yes. It is continuously negotiated between us. But there is no "truth" as a third angle which we both grasp only imperfectly. There is what we agree on, and if the interaction is anyting else, myself contrasted to the road I'm walkin on, for instance, reality is still negotiated in that moment by all involved factors.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
@Cyracuz,
Sorry, the second sentence of the previous post was supposed to be:

But there is no need for "truth" as a third angle which we both grasp only imperfectly.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Indeed you have.
Yea, I know... funny joke: there was this determinist who got really frustrated...

see ya!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:05 pm
Some would suggest that it is not true that they are reading this post, since this post is my post an not theirs, once theirs is the one they are actually reading at this moment, which is not my moment which was my post...and yet, their post which is not mine, is theirs because mine is mine...thus the LANGUAGE in this post...
Truth is an AXIS between entangled "opposites". (perspectives)