I was very angry; I was shaking.

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:05 am
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A man in Albuquerque filed a complaint last Friday after he said he was pulled over by two bikini-clad police officers off a freeway exit in June.

Ilia Spilca said he was driving to work on northbound Interstate 25 last June 23 when an officer pulled him over after he exited the freeway.

“They said, 'What do you have to drink?' I said, 'Nothing, water.' 'I'm going to ask you again what do you have to drink?' I said (for the) second time, 'Water, that's it,'” Spilca said.

Spilca said he was drinking water from a bottle that looks like a bottle of alcohol. The officer did not give him a ticket, but Spilca filed a citizen's complaint with the Internal Review Office more than two months after the incident.

In the complaint, Spilca said the two officers who chased him were wearing bikinis and had guns tucked into their shorts. The women were off-duty Albuquerque Police Department officers assisting an on-duty officer, the complaint stated.

“I was very angry; I was shaking,” Spilca said.

APD Commander Steve Warfield said they have rules for police dress codes, but noted that their jobs are 24/7 and off-duty officers often respond to calls not wearing their uniforms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,203 • Replies: 15

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:16 am
@dyslexia,
Once a police officer, always a police officer.

If these police officers were off duty or perhaps on some kind of undercover assignment, then they'd still be under legal obligation to react to a crime in progress. Now, on the other hand, these two officers may have not handled this situation regarding the stop of what they may or may not have percieved to be a possible DUI.

What would this Spilca character say if he had lost a loved one to a drunk driver and he knew a police officer did nothing to prevent this driver from this accident if the officer suspected the driver's inability to drive safely because of drugs or alcohol. I'd assume he'd be more raving upset then.

He protests far too much as they let him go without legal charges.
djjd62

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:29 am
once upon a time, there were three young women who went to the police academy

http://johngaltfla.com/blog3/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Charlies_Angels1.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:33 am
Quote:
“I was very angry; I was shaking,” Spilca said

Instead of shaking, Spilca should have stepped on the gas and gotten out of there. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:24 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
“I was very angry; I was shaking,” Spilca said.

DT's?

Razz
dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:30 am
@DrewDad,
silicone allergy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:12 am
It was a traffic stop. In most jurisdictions, only officers in regularly marked patrol cars are allowed to make traffic stops. There are good reasons for this.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

If these police officers were off duty or perhaps on some kind of undercover assignment, then they'd still be under legal obligation to react to a crime in progress.
He protests far too much as they let him go without legal charges.

You trying to be funny, tsar?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@roger,
perhaps you misread Roger, this event occurred in Albuquerque New Mexico. Legal processes are optional.
djjd62

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:22 am
i'm thinking that armed women in bikinis would be kind of exciting

why yes officers, i have been a bad boy
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
@djjd62,
and where were their badges?
djjd62

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@Rockhead,
badges, they don't need no steenkin' badges
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:12 pm
@dyslexia,
It's like that, is it?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:54 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Nope. As long as they have their badges to identify themselves they have been bound by their oath as law enforcement to protect and serve the community.

If I expect if I found myself shot or stabbed by some crazed individual in public and it was witnessed by an off duty police officer that that officer would make an effort to at least call an ambulance and try to act as an official witness to the crime (for identifying the criminal if eventually caught) and perhaps apprehend the assailant if it is safe to do so for the rest of the nearby public.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, I was referring to your use of the word "undercover." Seems to me they were mostly uncovered.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:39 pm
But what was his complaint about?
0 Replies