2
   

Eddie Fisher dead at 82

 
 
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:21 am
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eddie Fisher, whose huge fame as a pop singer was overshadowed by scandals ending his marriages to Debbie Reynolds and Elizabeth Taylor, has died. He was 82.

His daughter, Tricia Leigh Fisher of Los Angeles, told The Associated Press that Fisher died Wednesday night at his home in Berkeley of complications from hip surgery.

"Late last evening the world lost a true America icon," Fisher's family said in a statement released by publicist British Reece. "One of the greatest voices of the century passed away. He was an extraordinary talent and a true mensch."

The death was first reported by Hollywood website deadline.com.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/09/24/arts/music/AP-US-Obit-Eddie-Fisher.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig


  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,292 • Replies: 23
No top replies

 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:30 am
@Merry Andrew,
I never liked Eddie Fisher
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:31 am
Eddie had a fantastic voice. I didn't follow his personal life closely, because I just was not interested. But some of his records are among my favorites.
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:29 am
It's truly weird that Fisher would leave little Debbie Reynolds to marry Elizabeth Taylor. Just look at Liz and Debbie today. Little Debbie is still performing in Clubs and on TV and looking great, while Liz Taylor is sickly and wheel-chair bound.

Fisher should have stayed with Little Debbie Fisher.
Wink
Miller
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:30 am
@Intrepid,
How about Toni Curtis?
Merry Andrew
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
@Miller,
I do agree that laReynolds was and is superior to the totally shallow Liz any day of the week. But Fisher had a reputation as a notorious womanizer even before he wed Debbie. His escapades when he was still an up-and-comer were grist for the scandal tabs of the day, as I recall. He was supposed to have been quite a stud.

I also agree with edgar that he was a first-rate entertainer, largely -- I believe -- underrated and under-appreciated during the reign of 'King' Elvis.
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:31 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

How about Toni Curtis?


I always liked Tony Curtis. Although, I don't know what he has to do with Eddie Fisher dying.

I also always liked Debbie Reynolds. I didn't like Eddie because of the way he treated Debbie.
0 Replies
 
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:36 pm
I was a little young to remember the scandal first hand but reading about it later, Liz dumping him was just what he deserved.
But, we all make mistakes. Wink
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:50 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

I was a little young to remember the scandal first hand but reading about it later, Liz dumping him was just what he deserved.
But, we all make mistakes. Wink


A mistake is something that we do once. Maybe twice. Then we learn from it and attempt not to make the mistake again.
Merry Andrew
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:00 pm
The NYT obit, linked above, mentions this only briefly and in passing, but other obituaries stress the allegation that Fisher was also a heavy drug abuser, hooked on crytal methamphetamines and cocaine. There seems to be some disagreement on whether he ever kicked the habit.
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Yep, Merry Andrew. I'd heard that some years ago.
0 Replies
 
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:51 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

eoe wrote:

I was a little young to remember the scandal first hand but reading about it later, Liz dumping him was just what he deserved.
But, we all make mistakes. Wink


A mistake is something that we do once. Maybe twice. Then we learn from it and attempt not to make the mistake again.


My post about making mistakes was meant for Fisher, not Elizabeth.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:21 pm
@eoe,
Meantime, I've had some sympathy for Carrie.
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I've thought about her too. I mean, in spite of it all, he was her father. Maybe she's feeling that tonight. A nd maybe she mourned him and buried him years ago and this is just a formality.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:57 pm
@eoe,
All none of our business.
eoe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
@ossobuco,
It sure isn't.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:11 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

eoe wrote:

I was a little young to remember the scandal first hand but reading about it later, Liz dumping him was just what he deserved.
But, we all make mistakes. Wink


A mistake is something that we do once. Maybe twice. Then we learn from it and attempt not to make the mistake again.


My post about making mistakes was meant for Fisher, not Elizabeth.


What I wrote would apply to anybody. A mistake is a mistake. Hmm, how many husbands did Elizabeth have? Wink
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:20 am
My grandmother was a major fan of Eddie Fisher. Major. I asked her if she had a crush on him. She just looked at me and laughed.

farmerman
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:07 pm
@Roberta,
Eddie Fischer dead?? why, why did this happen? Want he married to JAmie Lee Curtis when he was an old man? Or was he her uncle?
Eddie Fischer was a douche bag that, along with guys like Exio Pinza, and Perry Como, were constantly being played on records by my mom. She could cook but she had absolutely no taste in any kind of music.
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

The NYT obit, linked above, mentions this only briefly and in passing, but other obituaries stress the allegation that Fisher was also a heavy drug abuser, hooked on crytal methamphetamines and cocaine. There seems to be some disagreement on whether he ever kicked the habit.


I think that was brought up in today's WSJ.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Sci-Fi Icon Ray Bradbury Dead At 91 - Discussion by djjd62
RIP Davey Jones - Discussion by JPB
Kenneth Mars RIP - Discussion by joefromchicago
Rest in Peace, Patty Duke - Discussion by jespah
RIP, Garry Shandling - Question by jespah
Dennis Greene (Sha na na) dies - Question by Linkat
Julian Bond has died, RIP - Discussion by ossobuco
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Eddie Fisher dead at 82
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/14/2019 at 06:56:39