We share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees

talk72000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:40 pm
@Arjuna,
Mad cow disease developed from feeding rendered discrded or rotten meat as feed to cattle. The human digestive system is even weaker than animals aswe cook our food so our gut is shorter. Our digestive system would not breakdown everything efficiently. Our DNA is prone to attacks from chemicals such smoke, liquor which could thus screw up the DNA and it is from the damaged DNA that cancer is born. Cancer is a disease of the DNA that gives the wrong messages to the cell and non-stop growth.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:28 pm
@talk72000,
I thought mad cow was from bone marrow, brains another nerval system put in the foods of cows.
talk72000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 08:21 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:
It is said that the disease is caused by protein supplements, in the form of infected meat and bone from the diseased animals, added to the animal feed of herbivorous animals.

Quote:
# The mad cow disease can spread when healthy animals ingest tainted tissues from other animals carrying this disease.
# In this disease, the consumed mutated prion cause deformation of cellular prion proteins, present in the brain cells. This leads to a chain of reaction in which normal prion protein is deformed. The deformed prion protein comes together to form a plaque fiber in the brain
# A change in British law, permitting the sterilization of the meat and bone to be added to the cattle feed, at a lower temperature also contributed to the spread of the disease

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mad-cow-disease-facts.html

You are right. I only meant that herbivores were fed stuff carnivores would eat. All the tainted proteins were rendered i.e. cooked. The stuff wasn't fed raw.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:00 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Quote:
It is said that the disease is caused by protein supplements, in the form of infected meat and bone from the diseased animals, added to the animal feed of herbivorous animals.

Quote:
# The mad cow disease can spread when healthy animals ingest tainted tissues from other animals carrying this disease.
# In this disease, the consumed mutated prion cause deformation of cellular prion proteins, present in the brain cells. This leads to a chain of reaction in which normal prion protein is deformed. The deformed prion protein comes together to form a plaque fiber in the brain
# A change in British law, permitting the sterilization of the meat and bone to be added to the cattle feed, at a lower temperature also contributed to the spread of the disease

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mad-cow-disease-facts.html

You are right. I only meant that herbivores were fed stuff carnivores would eat. All the tainted proteins were rendered i.e. cooked. The stuff wasn't fed raw.
I'm afraid you have quote someone else, and mistakenly put my name to this prime statemen.
talk72000

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:04 pm
@HexHammer,
Those were quotes from the website.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:18 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Those were quotes from the website.
Ah yes! I see it now, sorry for the mistake.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:13 pm
Arjuna wrote:
I disagree with Setanta. Sharing our DNA with others is the right thing to do.

Setanta wrote:
Oh yeah? How do you want to go . . . baked, broiled, boiled . . . ?

Arjuna wrote:
As long as there's lots of butter I don't think it matters. Beyond that is the issue of what wine to choose.

Setanta wrote:
Garlic . . . don't forget the garlic . . .

Arjuna wrote:
Garlic and onions, my friend. Proof that God loves us.

This is some of the strangest damn sexy talk i've been privy to...wait, we are talking about sharing DNA the way i normally think about sharing DNA, yes?Embarrassed

Twisted Evil
Arjuna

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:31 pm
@Razzleg,
The issue was the transmission of disease while sharing DNA. Garlic probably won't help with that.
patiodog

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
@Arjuna,
Hogwash. Garlic cures all ills, including attack by vampires and dementia. And if you don't believe it, I've got a sack of onions you can suck on.
Arjuna

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Hogwash. Garlic cures all ills, including attack by vampires and dementia. And if you don't believe it, I've got a sack of onions you can suck on.
Awesome. I'm sure all my friends will overlook my breath in consideration of my good health.
patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:15 pm
@Arjuna,
Eventually, you will outlive your friends and their opinions, unless recorded for posterity, no longer will matter.
Arjuna

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:39 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Eventually, you will outlive your friends and their opinions, unless recorded for posterity, no longer will matter.
"I realized that everything is in vain, and I hated life. This too, was in vain." --The Bible..., no really.

They say the ancient Egyptians cultivated and enjoyed onions. And look what happened to them...
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:44 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

People with various genetic diseases share 99.9% of the DNA with healthy people. People with excesive hair, 6 toes and so on probably share 99.9% of the DNA with normal people. People with black skin, brown skin, yellow and white skin have been fighting because of the concept of race even though thay all share 99.9% of the genes. Just tiny deviation hardly measurable create so much conflict.

Now, cloned animals and genetically modified animals are allowed as edible food. Considering that barely measurable differences in DNA can cause so much problem, are clones suitable as food? Already bovine hormones fed to animals may have led to obesity in people and antibiotics fed to unhealthy animals may have bred superbugs. Will clones that cannot survive on their own be suitable as food. Will they bring about minor changes in DNA such that we may have among us "monsters" or "defects" with excessive hair, toes, blue skin, etc.? It does not take much to alter the genes or to have them expressed in unusual ways. Just 2% difference in DNA separate man from beast.

we'll see , but to the people who could use the food to survive what is the alternative ?
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm
@north,
It is like feeding poisoned food. It will take years maybe before symptoms appear. Look at obesity. There has never been such a bad case of obesity in human history. It is like the frog in a beaker case. Slowly heat the beaker and boil the frog to death. The frog will jump out from a beaker full of boiling water. It is little changes that killed the frog. The corporations are doing the same but the guardians (the government regulators) have been neutralized by corruption in the political arena.
north

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:44 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It is like feeding poisoned food. It will take years maybe before symptoms appear. Look at obesity. There has never been such a bad case of obesity in human history. It is like the frog in a beaker case. Slowly heat the beaker and boil the frog to death. The frog will jump out from a beaker full of boiling water. It is little changes that killed the frog. The corporations are doing the same but the guardians (the government regulators) have been neutralized by corruption in the political arena.

I see your point

but over time , if the genetics does have an effect on us , we will be there to observe
talk72000

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 07:16 pm
@north,
Look at the obesity problem what is being done? Nothing regarding the sources of it except to blame the obese person and more money for pharmaceuticals to work on more genetic altering drugs.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 01:32 pm
Quote:
We share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees

Quote:
Our results imply that humans and chimpanzees differ by at least 6% (1,418 of 22,000 genes) in their complement of genes, which stands in stark contrast to the oft-cited 1.5% difference between orthologous nucleotide sequences. This genomic “revolving door” of gene gain and loss represents a large number of genetic differences separating humans from our closest relatives.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0000085
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 01:41 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Deletion in this respect , does not imply erasure since all (or most anyway) of gene sequences not observed in the section between Chimp and human (chromosome 2) telomeres is a huge host of genes that appear on sequestered "junk" DNA segments. The genes are still there, just not on the "string"
0 Replies

Ralph 2

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:08 am
@HexHammer,
Man shares a DNA signature with all organic life forms on earth, all separated by degrees. How could it be anything other considering that all life is constructed of the same basic elements that are common to our shared environment? This FACT demonstrates what exactly in proving or disproving the falsified theory of SPONTANEOUS GENERATION of life from dead matter, the basic tenet of VERTICAL EVOLUTION? Whenever and wherever this theory of Natural Vertical Evolution of life as being a product of generating from dead matter is placed to the test of the Scientific Method of Observed, Reproducible Experimentation it is falsified. There has not been one example of Observed or Reproduced vertical evolution (evolution outside of a preexisting species) where a NEW species has been observed developing from another species.

But, on the other hand the Law of Biogenesis is Observed and Reproduced in nature on a daily basis, with the fundamental declaration of that Reproducible experiment clearly evidenced, that being LIFE can only be PROCREATED from an existing life within the same species.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:19 am
@Ralph 2,
Loads of fancy words and pharses, could you please put it in layman terms?