The Event

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 04:33 pm
anyone going to watch

according to some things i've read, you know what the event is by the end of the first episode, but then they could be messing with folks too

i'm curious, i'll probably check it out ( have to catch it online)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,946 • Replies: 21
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 04:37 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Event_(TV_series)

The Event (stylized THE EVƎNT) is an upcoming American conspiracy thriller television series created by Nick Wauters for NBC. The network announced on May 7, 2010 that the show would be picked up as a series. It is scheduled to premiere Monday, September 20, 2010 at 9 pm/8c.

The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter), a man who, while investigating the mysterious disappearance of his girlfriend, begins to discover the biggest cover-up in U.S. history.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:49 am
@djjd62,
My wife and I watched this for the first, and the last time, last night. What a piece of crap!

Pretentious, disjointed, daft, confusing, etc, etc.
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:56 am
@Reyn,
Shocked
it's getting petty mixed reviews
i haven't watched it yet, have a copy and will watch it tonight probably
dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 08:23 am
@djjd62,
we watched it last night, it's interesting and will most likely watch again next week. So far I'd give it a low score on "character development", higher score on "action" and "intrigue" many scenes really drag on. It's fast and flashy.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:47 am
@dyslexia,
after watching The Event, Lady Diane turned the telly to another new show, the New Hawaii 5-0, what a lot of crap that turned out to be. Really awful.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:59 am
I watched it, kinda liked it and will probably watch it again. I like a mystery.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:09 am
this will be the first big event sort of show that i will watch in almost real time (download the next day to watch), i didn't start watching Lost until 3 seasons in (bought three dvd box sets before season 4 started), curious to see what it's like

thanks for the replies so far
Irishk

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:11 am
@djjd62,
We didn't watch, but one review I read described it as being between "Lost and 24". Missing me some Lost, so I'll DVR it when it replays Saturday.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 11:21 am
@djjd62,
The Event reminds me of Flash Forward, although a lot worse.

This frequent jumping back in time drives me nuts, never mind the multiple story lines going at the same time. Mad
eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 12:02 pm
@Reyn,
I tried giving network tv a chance last night with this show and eventually turned away. I can't stand their new style of so-called storytelling. I guess the writers are catering to the new, short-of-attention span audience they perceive has been created by other shows like this but the jumping back and forth and disjointed plot lines seem lazy and calculated to me. If the story is good, you don't have to jumble it up to make it appear current and trendy. A good story transcends all of the tricks.
So it's this or reality tv, huh? No thanks. Back to HBO.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:28 am
it wasn't the worst thing i've ever seen, but it didn't really grab me like Lost did

i was interested in the characters we met on Lost right from the beginning, so far i'm not getting that with The Event, i don't really care what happens to anybody at this point, there was such poor character development i was actually hoping for the plane to crash and kill everyone we've met so far

all that being said, will i watch it again, yes, the story intrigues me, and i've watched things before where i've had no emotional investment with the characters
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:35 am
another odd thing, jason ritter with that wispy beard moustache thing and kind of weird overbite toothy smile, he looks like the love child of jim carrey and steve buscemi
http://www.palzoo.net/file/pic/user/Jim-Carrey.jpghttp://img.listal.com/image/499319/936full-steve-buscemi.jpg

http://ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Jason-Ritter.JPG
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 04:00 pm
okay, 2 episodes in, i'm still kind of vaguely interested in the story, but i still have no emotional connection with any character, gonna keep watching for now
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 05:37 pm
It sort of reminds me of the nightmare you have, when developing acute diarrhea at night.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 03:30 pm
so 5 episodes in, anyone watching, i'm interested enough in the story to keep going, but the characters suck, i'm guessing this is a one season and done sort of thing
Irishk

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 04:40 pm
@djjd62,
I've watched them all except the most recent episode...it's waiting on the DVR. Like you, I'm struggling to get into it...wanting to find at least one character with the hook. Maybe it's too soon after Lost; I'd be surprised if it gets picked up for another season.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:04 pm
It's on tonight, I will watch. Perhaps for the last time.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 05:42 pm
I've just watched ep 3 I think he just went back to make a critical point in the story where he had a glass of scotch and then came back to present day for two minutes before flashing back 3 weeks to turn off his gas oven or something.

This has to be the most disjointed nonsensical way of telling a story so far devised.

I didn't think anyone could make a bigger load of balls than "lost" or "flash forward" but whoever wrote this crap has done it, god only knows what American writers are going to come up with to sink lower than this.

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 05:49 pm
@lovejoy,
i quite liked lost (though it did fall apart in the last season), i never watched flash forward, and so far i haven't watched the most recent episode (two weeks back, at least i couldn't find an episode on line for last week) of the event, i'll keep going for now