Behavioral

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:50 am
I recently got my cat Queenie from the ASPCA. While she is very affectionate otherwise she won't sit quietly with me. I was told she was a "lap cat." What can I do to encourage this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 668 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:22 am
@ammolive123,
Can't help, amolive. I've had cats around all my life and can't recall a single time I've influenced their behavior. Mostly, you take what they give.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:01 pm
@roger,
Yep. The more you try to force her, the more resistant she'll be. She's got to convince herself that you're a safe place she can trust.

Just let her jump up on your lap on her own time. Once there, let her get comfy and relaxed without petting her. She may not stay there long at first. You could get a few kitty treats to hand feed her while she's on your lap. After a few times, try giving her an occasional head scratch and then leave her alone. She'll either respond to it or jump down. Take her lead from that.

If, by the time cold weather arrives and she's still not lap sitting, keep the temp cool in your house for awhile and she'll probably be more eager for the warmth of a lap.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
If you are so smart about cats, why can't you get Dolly and Madison doggies to quit pooping on the carpet?

BBB Wink
0 Replies