Observation Suggests the Laws of Physics Vary in Different Parts of the Universe

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:18 am
http://www.economist.com/node/16930866

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25673/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,694 • Replies: 3
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 01:12 am

Real estate shoud be less expensive out there.
0 Replies

HFgulliver

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:47 am
Very interesting! I have two small questions though:

First, and this could be a stupid question, why do we assume that life can only be like us? I think its much more reasonable to say that life on Earth evolved to fit our situation. Lets say there is more of a difference than 4% somewhere else, why couldnt life evolve differently there?

Second, what would it mean if the laws of physics werent constant, and have we already found proof of this elsewhere? I dont know if this is accurate but I am pretty sure I read something about the effect of gravity being larger at great distances than it should have been. If these two things are changing what else should we question?
oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 12:33 am
@HFgulliver,
HFgulliver wrote:
Lets say there is more of a difference than 4% somewhere else, why couldnt life evolve differently there?

From my understanding, they are saying that fusion is not possible in those regions, so stars never ignite. If a gas giant gets heavy enough, it would presumably just collapse into a white or black dwarf without ever igniting.

That means no hydrogen and helium would be fused into heavier elements. With H2 being the only possible molecule it might be impossible for matter-based life to form.

HFgulliver wrote:
If these two things are changing what else should we question?

Our understanding of the universe will probably be continuously improving and evolving for as long as we humans are around to think about it.
0 Replies