Lazy and looking for shortcuts anywhere I can find them..

La Dame

Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:02 pm
Got a Pasta Machine.. finally learned how to NOT roll up my fingers or any stray kid that wandered by.. Now I want to be able to make up several batches of pasta dough and roll out what I need for that dinner... my question is.., has anyone done this? what did they find? was the pasta any good the third or fourth day after the dough was made?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,911 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:07 pm
@La Dame,
I don't do this but I imagine you might find yourself with rather gluten-y dough after a while. Anyway, welcome, bumping your topic up to get more people to see it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 18 Sep, 2010 07:06 pm
@La Dame,
I freeze pizza dough, but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe letting it rest after it thaws is a good idea, re gluten/elasticity. (I'm usually in a hurry),

The thing is, when you read recipes or watch videos, making pasta dough seems like a big deal. But I learned from my italian teacher (from Padua and Bologna, and those folks know what they're doing) and she just threw an egg and some flour together, did not even knead other than to make sure it cohered, and the pasta came out swell by the time it passed through the machine to enough thinness. I think that if you want to make batches of, say, fettucine, dry them on a rack or on hangers, and when dry, put in packages and store in a cool and dry place... and that doing that with a bigger batch of dough is a better idea than storing the dough in the refrigerator or freezer.

(opinions may vary)

La Dame

Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I had some dough last night that I made the day before, it it seemed a little tough.. so I am ditching that idea..
Pasta is so easy to make.. but time consuming.. but we would like to get away from Bromated ingredients so I have been making my own bread and pasta lately.
0 Replies